big money cd player vs modded machines

SWG255

The cure is...put the music first!
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2006, 10:41 pm »
I have been buying and enjoying high-end gear since the mid-70's, and whenever I start to feel I'm trading in gear too often, I try to sit back and pay more attention to the music. This doesn't always keep me from changing gear, but I'm more likely to be happy with the change after I've made it.

I also don't worry about re-sale value when i buy gear, after all, if I like it, why should i sell it? I think anyone who thinks this hobby is a way to make money is indeed insane. :mrgreen:

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2006, 10:43 pm »
thks guys,your advice will be taken.but,always a but...the new 9100 is $3200 with full blown mods,this Exemplar 3910 is $3100.is the modded denon better??? thks Pat :D  :)  :D

Soundbitten

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2006, 10:47 pm »
In this day and age , in most instances , you have to buy based on others' opinions to hear it in your system . Unless you live near numerous audiophile shops what are the alternatives  ?

tvad4

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2006, 10:55 pm »
Quote from: 2bigears
thks guys,your advice will be taken.but,always a but...the new 9100 is $3200 with full blown mods,this Exemplar 3910 is $3100.is the modded denon better??? thks Pat :D  :)  :D

Better is open to personal opinion. The Denon plays more formats, including DVD-A and HDCD. Also, Secrets of Home Theater ranks the Denon 3910 as one of the best DVD players made. They rate the Sony 9100 as having some problems...primarily with video. If you don't care about video, DVD-A, or HDCD, then the Sony 9100 may be better for you.

I still would not recommend buying a new modified digital source.

2bigears, you have continually increased your budget along the way. If you can find another $2400, then the APL Denon 3910 will be the best you'll find, and if you decide to sell, your losses will be minimized. Furthermore, if you don't require inputs for several sources, then you can use the APL's amplifier direct function and eliminate (sell) your preamp. The APL also can be modified with a digital input so you can later use a hard drive based source. Thus far, the APL modified digital players hold their value better than any other modded players out there. The new APL NWO-1 costs $19,995.

Here's a link to a used APL Denon 3910 - $5500.

http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=376

If you'd rather stay at ~$3000, then the used Exemplar Denon 3910 or new Modwright 9100ES are your best bets. In the past, the Modwright Sony 999ES has had a warmer and more forgiving top end than the Exemplar Denon 3910. I have not heard the Modwright 9100ES.

tvad4

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2006, 11:03 pm »
Quote from: Soundbitten
In this day and age , in most instances , you have to buy based on others' opinions to hear it in your system . Unless you live near numerous audiophile shops what are the alternatives  ?

The alternatives are:
1. Travel to an audio shop, even if it means flying to a nearby city.
2. Travel to listen to other audiophiles' systems.
3. Buy used gear after culling through reviews and user opinions. Try it. Either keep it or resell it.

Spend enough time reading user reviews, and you will find time and again those same people selling the gear they raved about - often in less than a year - and moving on to new gear. If you buy used, and decide to resell, you'll significantly minimize your losses.

Unless you have a money tree in the back yard, it's foolish to buy new without hearing the gear first.

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2006, 11:32 pm »
holy shit,55hun for a used denon.... just how good do these things sound??that's gettin up there. :D  :D  :o  :D  :D

tvad4

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2006, 11:39 pm »
holy shit,55hun for a used denon.... just how good do these things sound??that's gettin up there. :D  :D  :o  :D  :D

Worth the extra cost if it's in the budget. I sold mine because I wanted to take some money out of my system. I emailed the buyer after receiving my replacement player (no, I won't say what it is), and asked him to contact me if and when he decided to sell. I'd like to buy it back down the road.

Remember, if you only listen to CDs, then you can eliminate your preamp. $3100 + re-sale value of your preamp = ?

2bigears

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2006, 11:51 pm »
hey,come on,tell us what you bought. :D i was told running a pre helps smooth out most systems.55hun???? that's 6300.00 my $..GETTIN UP THERE FOR SURE. thinkin she's a little rich for a poor pilgrim like me. :D

tvad4

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2006, 12:02 am »
hey,come on,tell us what you bought. :D i was told running a pre helps smooth out most systems.55hun???? that's 6300.00 my $..GETTIN UP THERE FOR SURE. thinkin she's a little rich for a poor pilgrim like me. :D

Like I said. The decision is yours. But, please stop with the "I'm poor" routine. $9500 loudspeakers, VAC 30/30 ($3k used), $2800 preamp, $3k - $4k budget for digital, plus the cost of wire. Lots of folks would love to be so poor to afford $21,000 - $22,000 for a stereo system.

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2006, 01:48 am »
tvad4,this system will be a long term thing for sure. Exemplar must be really good gear.6k used compared to 3.5k new with new model to boot, the 9100 may be it.i only need a cd player...i can't see getting twice the sound fron the 3910.but you say the exemplar of all modded players holds value the best.that does say something.gonna have to sleep on this one.kinda leaning to the new sony from Dan.thks for the advice, as like always,it's very much appreciated.  :)  :D  :)

tvad4

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2006, 01:50 am »
but you say the exemplar of all modded players holds value the best.that does say something.

You're welcome.

However, I said the APL holds its value the best of modified digital players.

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2006, 03:14 am »
oppss,right,APL is the big dollar modders.research needed here.their gear must shine for the big dough it costs.back to school for a day or two. :idea:

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2006, 03:26 am »
If cost is a concern, try to find a friend or dealer who can loan you their Vacuum State (Allen Wright) JTLi SACD player (a Sony NS90V with Vacuum State's mod) for a day or two. The machine is sold for $1,650 new.

I'd suggest that you also try to borrow (or have the dealer arrange it) a good dCS or EMM Labs SACD front end for a direct comparison, when you listen to the JTLi.

You'll still lose money on a JTLi SACD player come reselling time. But at least your loss will be well controled, to within $1,650  :)

Soundbitten

« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2006, 12:40 pm »
Quote from: tvad4
The alternatives are:

3. Buy used gear after culling through reviews and user opinions. Try it. Either keep it or resell it.

Spend enough time reading user reviews, and you will find time and again those same people selling the gear they raved about - often in less than a year - and moving on to new gear. If you buy used, and decide to resell, you'll significantly minimize your loss ...

That's what I've basically done and haven't regretted any purchases . The only item I bought new without hearing and based on user reviews was my Odyssey Stratos .

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2006, 02:46 pm »
I have sold off gear that I thought was exceptional in the past, and it has all related to finding a new speaker system (for me) that created the desire for a better synergistic match with the speakers.

Some of the gear flippers are just that, some others are simply exploring new gear, in spite of the older gear being excellent too.

I advise used whenever you can, if that does not bother you...

scott_man

« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2006, 03:52 pm »
Dear all:

Over the years, I have had the opportunity to own a number of CD/DVD players -- ranging from mid-fi and hi-fi CD/DVD players with an out-board DAC to a very high-end CD player to a universal player.  Right now, I am using a modified universal player in my system and I am quite happy with the performance.  The mods cost about 4x the price of the player... but, it sounds better than the high-end CD player that I had (the high-end player costs over 6x the price of the universal player with the mods).  I know that I will take a bath if/when I sell the modded universal player, but my total "investment" in the modded universal player is still only about half the cost of a new upper mid-fi player.

Maybe others won't agree, but I see my current disc-player as a stop-gap item.  In the long term (maybe already?), I expect digital music servers to provide musical quality meeting or exceeding high-end disc players with a fair amount of the budget left to aquire more music!

Scott.

2bigears

« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2006, 04:19 pm »
i love-love used gear,where the smart money goes for sure.it's by design that pursuing technology cost big bucks,fuels the factories.i am now looking for a modded player.Sony or Denon???? :idea:  :?:  :idea:

rbrb

« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2006, 12:10 am »
Now that the Sony 9100 is becoming popular among modders there are some really good deals on modded Sony 999's on AudioGon.  They generally go for around 50% of the original cost of the player and mods.  Modwright's 999 with Platinum mods are a good deal for what they are selling for used.

tvad4

« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2006, 12:15 am »
Quote from: rbrb
Now that the Sony 9100 is becoming popular among modders there are some really good deals on modded Sony 999's on AudioGon.  They generally go for around 50% of the original cost of the player and mods.  Modwright's 999 with Platinum mods are a good deal for what they are selling for used.

That's for sure. Same goes for the Modwright Denon 3910 available on A'gon. Three or four really terrific deals on outstanding players.

Silly to buy a new one. One can readily see re-sale value by looking at the used machines on A'gon.

2bigears

« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2006, 12:38 am »
thks guys.i am still stuck in the mud on the choice.a sony9100 modded is 3200.a used 999 is 1500.how do these stake up to:a modded Wadia 860x at 4k or a new modded opus 21 at 4k.if they do not compare--no contest thing,i think i may jump in for the extra loot.please advise.... :D  :idea:  :D