big money cd player vs modded machines

2bigears

« on: 21 May 2006, 01:03 am »
i need or would like to step up my player.can someone please advise the real spread if any,between say a modded Sony and a big money,even used,say Audio Aero.just how close are the modded units.thks for help as i don't want to lay out crazy cash,if all you get is 10 to 20% better sound at 100% difference in  the price. :D  :D  :D  :D

spectralman

« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2006, 01:16 am »
I went the modded route.  I bought a Sony 777ES, had it modded by Warren Gregoire who did a Level 5 VSE (Vacuum State Electronics) mod.  The CD/SACD player cost me $1300, the mod was $1500.  The difference was night and day on RBCD, but not as dramatic on SACD.  On RBCD, it is very nonfatiguing, grain-free, sounds seem to come from a much quieter background.  Overall, much less digititis, more analog-sounding.

I can't compare mine directly to an Audio Aero however, as I have never heard one.

If you decide to go with a mod, each has its own sonic qualities, so you need to do your homework before taking the plunge.  HTH.

Bill

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2006, 01:31 am »
thks Bill.you say-homework-i gotta tell ya i am sick of doin' that.i can understand the source is critical. with proper cables the sony can stand good ground,so i have read.the sony used is 2000,and cables i have no idea.an Aero used is 4500,might sound ok with factory cable.does anyone know the cost to cable-up a sony?? thks :D  :)  :D

OTL

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2006, 01:59 am »
I'm beating my dead horse again but for the money, input flexibility and the ability to roll tubes to taste,  I can't imagine beating a Red Book CAL Audio Alpha DAC.

If you find something that sounds consistently better, on all types of recordings for non-stupid money, by all means take it home.

A CAL Alpha can be picked up for @ $400 bucks, is a great reference and provides coax, balanced and Toslink inputs.  This allows me to run my CAL Delta RBCD balanced, my DVD player Toslink and my CD burner Coax without ever changing an input cable!  Not to mention the ability to "voice" the Alpha with inexpensive (< $30/pair) tubes or going ape for the NOS stuff.  I've done both and it's hard to beat the available JJ's or Sovteks, although I must admit I wore out a pair of cheap, used Raytheons that had a certain magic.........And, OH!  Before I forget, the output level of the Alpha can be adjusted by changing two resistors in the tube output circuit, without removing ANYTHING from the chassis.  Trust me, the Alpha has too many positives to ignore.  You'll enjoy the hell out of it and learn a ton, very inexpensively.  If you don't believe me, just watch how quickly Alphas (and Deltas) disappear from Audiogon!

My Alpha has been running non-stop, almost continuously powered up since 1993 with zero maintenence other that mucking around with tubes.  I'm presently listening to JJ's which most folks would laugh at, but then again at $30/pair including shipping they can laugh all they want.  My digital sounds GOOD, and frankly most folk's digital don't.

Just my 2 cents on a low risk proposition.

Listen, share and enjoy!

Mike B.

Levi

Re: big money cd player vs modded machines
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2006, 04:13 am »
You can also look at it this way and I hope I don't step on someone's toes since I have been there myself.  A modified Honda Civic is still a Honda Civic but a little better when executed properly.  Would it perform like a Corvette?  Probably not.  You can add $30,000 on your old Civic or upgrade it to an Audi or VW.  Just my analogy.

I had a Modwright Sony 999ES with Platinum modification.  It bettered the original 999ES but it never bettered the Talk Thunder 3.1b cd player at the same price point.  The Talk Electronics is absolutely more reliable and does not breakdown at all.

There is a learning curve here.  Choose the best path wisely.  I hope this helps.

Quote from: 2bigears
i need or would like to step up my player.can someone please advise the real spread if any,between say a modded Sony and a big money,even used,say Audio Aero.just how close are the modded units.thks for help as i don't want to lay out crazy cash,if all you get is 10 to 20% better sound at 100% difference in  the price. :D  :D  :D  :D

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2006, 04:19 am »
I modded my previous preamp- a Conrad Johnson PV12A.  
1) Did it get better?  Yes.  
2) Was it worth the extra money?  From a sonic standoint, perhaps, but I probably would have just been better off purchasing the next preamp up the line.
3) Did I lose $$$ on the mod when I sold the preamp?  I took a complete and total financial bath on the mod.  I think I got 30% of my money back from the mod when I flipped it on the used market.
4) Reason I went with the mod?  I thought it would stave off my desire to upgrade to the next level because for not much cash, the mods would transform the preamp.  IMO, that didnt' happen.

I will not mod again.

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2006, 04:21 am »

I've heard the Modwright Sony 999 Levi used to have and the Audio Aero Capitole II, which my father has.  IMO, the Audio Aero is better across the board, though I suppose like all things, the law of diminishing returns sets in.  However, if you can afford an Audio Aero, it is unequivocally better IMHO.

OTL

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2006, 04:25 am »
Is this the Mike Crespo as in NYC financial technology?

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2006, 04:30 am »
Quote from: OTL

No, I work at IBM.

OTL

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2006, 04:36 am »
Thanks.  Probably should have PM'd that.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2006, 04:44 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Quote from: OTL

No, I work at IBM.
Don't forget this Mike Crespo....... :wink:

flintstone

mods
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2006, 03:23 pm »
Believe it or not, I picked up an old Counterpoint DAC-10A with Ultra-Anolog card for $500 ($3,600 retail way back when). Added a Kinergetics transport for another $199 ($1,500 way back when)...sounds as good as two very good $3,000 retail players I've owned....I was very supprised because I only picked up the Counterpoint on a whim....my intentions were to only place it in a second system....things changed.

Dave

Jon L

Re: mods
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2006, 04:42 pm »
Quote from: flintstone
Believe it or not, I picked up an old Counterpoint DAC-10A with Ultra-Anolog card for $500 ($3,600 retail way back when). Added a Kinergetics transport for another $199 ($1,500 way back when)...sounds as good as two very good $3,000 retail players I've owned....I was very supprised because I only picked up the Counterpoint on a whim....my intentions were to only place it in a second system....things changed.

Dave

Congrats.  The Counterpoint was one of the dark horses of that era.  I simply don't understand (well, I do..) why it didn't receive much more press compared to other "famous" DAC's at the time.

Another bonus is the option to do a "factory"-designed upgrade path with user upgradable "Rapture" DAC card from the original designer, Mike Elliott.

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/DA-10.html

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2006, 04:47 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
I've heard the Modwright Sony 999 Levi used to have and the Audio Aero Capitole II, which my father has.  IMO, the Audio Aero is better across the board, though I suppose like all things, the law of diminishing returns sets in.  However, if you can afford an Audio Aero, it is unequivocally better IMHO.

I've always wondered about this comparison.  Particularly, I'm curious if Audio Aero Cap II is able to overcome handicaps inherent to vast majority of tubed DAC/CDP's.  Since I know the sound of Modwright Sony, could you elaborate on the sound of AA, especially regards to utmost detail resolution, mid-to-low bass speed and control, extreme treble extension/"darkness," and overall macrodynamics prowess?

SWG255

I'm happy with my modified SCD-1
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2006, 06:58 pm »
I have a VSE level 5 modified Sony SCD-1, and I consider it a major improvement over the stock Sony SCD-1 for both redbook and SACD. The modification isn't perfect, it reduces the output level of the player by a substantial amount, leading to potential component matching problems in my system with this unit, but I'd say I've received more than my money's worth with this player and its modifications.

Is the VSE Level 5 SCD-1 as good as the best current CD/SACD players on the market today, maybe not, but it has proven to be the most economical path to a player that won't be "embarrassed" by them either. I paid about $3,000 for the SCD-1 in late 2001, and with the mods, the additional outlay has been about $1200 or so, so for less than $5,000 I believe I have a player that can compete with the best $5,000 to $10,000 players out there, and is better than some I've heard. When this is considered with the fact I've had the player to enjoy all this time, with the benefit of being able to appreciate the improvements wrought by the VSE modifications, I consider my modified SCD-1 one of the best audio purchases, including the price of the mods, , I've ever made.

2bigears

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2006, 07:32 pm »
OK,the new full-blown 9100 modded sony is 3400+-,the modded denon is 4000.a used 4 year old  Aero is 4500+-.can new sony hold it's ground next to the french machine?? is the modded denon better than the sony?? too many dump questions..... if anyone can shed light,please jump on in.i need a player now...thks :D  :)  :)  :D

tvad4

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2006, 07:56 pm »
Anyone who buys a new modded machine is throwing their money away, IMO. You can rest assured that a modded machine will be immediately worth half of what you paid if you turn around to resell it.

Take it from someone who has owned five modded DVD/Universal players...both new and used. I believe in the superiority of modded digital players over stock machines, but I only buy used these days.

I'd just suggest watching for a used player from any of several companies. There are a couple of Exemplar Denon 3910 players available now on Audiogon for around $3k which are exceptional.

Of all the modded players, I have found the APL machines hold their value better than Exemplar, Modwright, RAM and others.

Of course, it's your money...but you'll throw half of it away as soon as you take delivery of the new unit.

toobluvr

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2006, 10:16 pm »
OK,the new full-blown 9100 modded sony is 3400+-,the modded denon is 4000.a used 4 year old  Aero is 4500+-.can new sony hold it's ground next to the french machine?? is the modded denon better than the sony?? too many dump questions..... if anyone can shed light,please jump on in.i need a player now...thks :D  :)  :)  :D

:nono:

Buy used!!!

You don't really seem to know what you want.
In this situation, it makes no sense to buy new.
If you do, you will lose big time $ if it doesn't work for you.

tvad4

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2006, 10:21 pm »
Quote from: toobluvr

:nono:

Buy used!!!

You don't really seem to know what you want.

That's for certain. Buying audio gear based on other's opinions is a sure path to future classified ads...yours.

Check this thread out. Five weeks ago he had found The Grail. Now, the Grail is being replaced by The New Grail. This guy's not unique, either.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1145113193&read&3&zzlFrankpiet&&

toobluvr

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2006, 10:31 pm »
Quote from: tvad4
This guy's not unique, either.

Understatement of the day!
 :lol:

In audio, these types of exaggerated pronouncements....followed by dissatisfaction evidenced by revolving door gear swapping behaviour....are quite common.

Might even be the rule, rather than the exception.

My motto:  Neither get too high, nor too low, about your gear.
If you do, fickle, neurotic and excessive "flavor of the month" swapping behaviour is likely to ensue.

:lol: