BLUES ROCK MUSIC Need more !

Antman27

« on: 3 May 2006, 01:55 pm »
Hello all.Well I am a huge blues rock fan & I am always lookin for some new music.
Hands down My Fav is The Screming Cheata Wheelies (althow they are not toghter anymore due to the lack of $$ ) There music has such a great Vibe Check it out if ya can.
I also Love
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Kenney Wayne Shappard
Johney Lang
The Allman Brothers
Chris Duarte
Black Crows
Gove Mule

SO does anyone have any suggestions on other bands I should check out ?

R_burke

« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2006, 02:12 pm »
Johnny Winter - earlier stuff, it's now remastered - try Johny Winter and Second Winter

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2006, 02:29 pm »
The first two albums by The White Stripes as well Elephant are very blues influenced but are a departure from the genre you refer to, but thought I'd mention it anyway.  It would take an open mind most likely for you to get into them if you were first attracted by the potential for blues rock.  

When I think of great blues rock, I think of Led Zepplin, Cream and some stuff by Black Sabbath in addition to what you mentioned.  My father is more into your list as is a big fan of Taj Mahal, Keb' Mo, Robert Cray, Susan Tedeschi, Guitar Shorty, Buddy Guy and John Lee Hooker to name some that I remember.

For an more modern flavor of rock that still retains a blue influence, but may be a bit more disguised:
Candlebox (hard grunge rock but heavy blues guitar)
Kyuss (heavy dark blues rock)
White Stripes (blues/garage rock with a very interesting twist)

Then there is one I read about but haven't heard yet.  Blue Therapy.  I will have to check out the screamin cheatah willies.  I have heard OF them but haven't heard them.

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2006, 02:33 pm »
Jimmy Thackery, a killer player with a unique sound and awesome live.     Corey Stevens "Bring on the blues". And any Rory Gallagher you can find especially "Top Priority".

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2006, 03:37 pm »
For some kick-ass NYC style rockin blues, you have to check out Michael Hills Blues Mob. Saw them live 2 years ago at one of our all day Blues Fest. The website will also let you sample several tracks from each album. The best to date I think is "SUITE: LARGER THAN LIFE"

http://www.michaelhillsbluesmob.com/

Boogaloo

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2006, 03:58 pm »
There's a Canadian blues rocker - David Gogo - who  was heavily influenced by Stevie Ray Vaughn you may want to check into.  I have all his cd's, and one of my favorites is his first mainstream offering "Change of Pace" that really rocks.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2006, 04:15 pm »
Definitely check out Corey Stevens. If you can find "Road to Zen", get it. It was a promotional CD. Also, you might like Albert Cummings' stuff. I can't get enough of it.  :D

Others to consider:

Indigenous (their earlier ablums first. May not like the latest ones)
Walter Trout (that boy can jam)
Tommy Castro
Coco Montoya
Debbie Davies
Tab Benoit
Kenny Neal

gitarretyp

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2006, 04:46 pm »
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest you look at:

Muddy Waters
Albert King (In Session with Stevie Ray Vaughan is a good choice)
Son House
John Lee Hooker
Blue Rider Trio
A local guy (austin) is pretty good, Jon Dee Graham
Susan Tedeschi
Taj Mahal

Bwanagreg

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2006, 08:56 pm »
Bloodline - These guys are amazing and have a bit of a southern rock sound.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000006L8E/sr=8-4/qid=1146689474/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-4390409-0684910?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit. The best rockin bar band ever.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003CKL/sr=8-1/qid=1146689588/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4390409-0684910?%5Fencoding=UTF8

mca

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2006, 09:27 pm »
Se if yoiu can track down Glen Hughes Blues - L.A. Blues Authority.

Good, hard rockin' blues stuff  :D

elcaptain88

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2006, 09:32 pm »
I'm sure I can come up with others, but one of my favorites is: "Sweet Tea" by Buddy Guy; many of the songs are covers, but very well done. Excellent raw electric guitar blues.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2006, 09:54 pm »
You basically have to get "John Mayer's Trio - Try!" now that you requested some Blues Rock....

I am not recommending any other John Mayer stuff. Just this album is Blues Rock and very good live recording as well as performance.

mojoman

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2006, 11:36 pm »
Lot of good suggestions already mentioned but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers - Empty Arms Motel - This guy's the real deal.  If you like SRV you'll like Thackery.  Note that no recording matches this guy's  live shows, see 'em if you can.  Also I'd recommend trying some of his work with the Nighthawks, I'd suggest Open All NIght.

Collin James - Bad Habits - Canadian gutiar slinger and then some.  His lastest is real good too, Limelight.

Melvin Taylor - Dirty Pool - Some SRV influence for sure.

The Gale Brothers - Left Hand Brand - Three brothers from Memphis and they all can play.  This one might be hard to find but worth the effort.

Buddy Guy - Damn Right I've Got The Blues - Love Buddy!

Tinsley Ellis - Live! Highwayman,  Saw him last weekend so I gotta recommend his new live cd.  Tinsley rocks!

Lucky Peterson - Triple Play - Plays a mean guitar but the B3 just might be his best instrument.

Michael Burks Band - I Smell Smoke - This dude is jaw dropping good.  Another one you should really see live to appreciate.

These are a few I'd recommend, there are many more.

IronLion

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2006, 12:32 am »
Without hesitation, one of my number one recommendations: North Mississippi Allstars.  Their studio stuff is good, but if you want to hear some real, and I mean real blues-rock (short of going to one of their live shows, which I recommend if they're in your area) get their live album from Bonnaroo "Hill Country Revue."  Incredible stuff, unfortunately the recording isn't that good but to be honest the music more than makes up for it; it is just pounding, funky, addictive bluesy rock.  I recommend this to anybody here who likes this genre of music, not just the original poster.  This is one of my favorite records period.[/b]

mojoman

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2006, 02:11 am »
Good pick IronLion.  I love those guys.  I've seen 'em live three times and they're excellent.  For something a little different, look up a cd called The Word - it's the Allstars with Robert Randolph and John Medeski from Medeski, Martin and Wood playing gospel instrumentals like you've never heard before.  If I could find church that played music like this I might even get motivated to get out of bed on Sunday mornings.

IronLion

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2006, 02:12 am »
I can second the Word recommendation as well, I forgot about them.  I have one of their albums (do they have more?) and it is in regular play for me.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2006, 05:10 am »
Lots of good picks listed already....so how about some older recordings.
    Savoy Brown[/list:u]
      Climax Blues Band[/list:u]
        John Mayall[/list:u]
          Canned Heat[/list:u]
            old - Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green[/list:u]Paul Butterfield Blues Band
              Try allmusic.com for samples and a few reviews/ratings....rock on. :rock: [/list:u]

Doug_B

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2006, 07:13 am »
How about Little Feat. Probably generally classified as southern rock with many blues-oriented tunes.

Doug

nickspicks

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2006, 12:38 pm »
just start poking around on the archive!
archive.org

more music up there than you listen to in a lifetime

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2006, 01:43 pm »
Check out  http://waltertroutband.com/  His "Relentless" live album is great on SACD too.