Frank

avahifi_lj

Frank
« on: 2 Apr 2006, 01:03 am »
Hi:

I just received an e-mail from Frank regarding his surgery.  He has some pain, but is doing okay.  He is up walking around and spending time with the new Apple toy (iBook).  I'm sure he will be checking in here in a day or two.

Larry

TomW16

All the best Frank!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2006, 03:28 am »
Glad to hear that Frank is doing well Larry and thanks for the update.

All the best Frank and here's to a speedy recovery!  (Since it looks like Larry is brewing beer at the moment  :lol: )

Tom

Nick B

Frank
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2006, 05:31 am »
My best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery      Nick

daveshel

Frank
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2006, 08:09 am »
Glad to hear that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

robinje

Frank
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2006, 12:29 pm »
Best wishes, Frank.  I hope your recovery goes well!

Jim

Listens2tubes

Frank
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2006, 05:21 pm »
All the best Frank.

So..what system have you been sneaking in with each visit?

plaf26

Frank
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2006, 07:00 pm »
Glad to hear you're up and about, Frank.  Prayers and best wishes.

Flyquail56

Frank
« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2006, 09:15 pm »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, hope you're "better than new" post surgery.

Regards,
Mike Hazel

WEEZ

Frank
« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2006, 10:13 pm »
Hope the recovery is super quick!

(i'll bet it's hard to be without those new speakers in a hospital room...)

godspeed,

WEEZ

avahifi

Frank
« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2006, 01:01 am »
Hi people, I am home and recovering.  Stiff and sore, but not much worse for the wear.  There are lots of rules to follow to avoid damaging the new hip joint, such as don't bend at more than 90 degrees at the waist, don't cross legs, etc., but no big deal.

Hopefully by the time the surgical pain goes down and I recover muscle strength again, the old "hip joint is grinding" pain will be gone and stay gone too because the old hip joint is gone too.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and well wishes.

Frank Van Alstine

boead

Frank
« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2006, 03:41 am »
Be Well Frank,

My dad has had both his hips and knee replaced. Recovery was faster then they claimed.

Maybe it’s a good time to update the website  :D

warnerwh

Frank
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2006, 04:44 am »
Best Wishes to you Frank. Hope you keep your positive attitude and have a quick recovery.  A good time to enjoy life as much as possible and I'm sure you wanted to get back to your new speakers.  

We're putting our money together so we can buy you some new interconnects and speaker cables.  Nothing too fancy but they'll amaze you with the improvment in sound quality.  When you hear how good these cables sound for more than a 1,000 dollars you'll know it's time to cut back on your pain meds :lol:

avahifi

Frank
« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2006, 08:18 pm »
Gee, new cables, that is such a nice offer, a real get well quick present.

If beggers can be choosers, for speaker wires I would really like a bi-wire set with the amplifier end terminated into a single set of banana plugs per channel, and the speaker ends terminated into two sets of single banana plugs, 10 foot length is all I need.  I need both cables of each bi-wire set terminated into single banana plugs at the amp end because our amps only have one set of speaker outputs per channel.

Intereconnects, whatever you like without getting "pricy" would be fine.  I need 6 footers between the preamp and power amp, three footers for the DAC and tuner, and maybe a single three footer for digital out of the
cd player to the DAC.

Of course I will report on their performance here.

Thank you!

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

Frank
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2006, 08:58 pm »
Hey Frank!!
 Like to try some bluejeans interconnets?

Cheers
                         Charlie

warnerwh

Frank
« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2006, 09:54 pm »
I have a pair of 3' Acoustic Research MS 230's. These have machined locking RCA's, good shielding and are well made. They were an Ebay buy at dirt cheap.  You need to loosen the outside to tighten them and screw them like you're tightening to loosen them, this threw me and is why I bring it up. I'll send them to the address on your website.  

I've got a friend who I'd recommend try one of your amps and loves it btw. He's been comparing it to other amps and nothing has been able to touch it. It's the 550 EXR I believe.

avahifi

Frank
« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2006, 12:25 am »
I would like to pass on "locking" RCA plugs as I seen too many damaged RCA jacks on preamps caused by these.

On the other hand, Blue Jeans cables sound interesting.

Frank

Meshbro

Frank
« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2006, 03:19 am »
Frank,

I hope that your recovery is going nicely.  It's certainly good to see you active in this thread.

Perhaps this is a silly question.  Are you taking orders these days. or would you prefer to relax a bit more before getting back to business of that sort?

I demoed my OmegaStar amp in my girlfriend's setup.  She's looking at upgrades, and the current weak link is probably her amp (an AudioSource Amp 3, I think).  She enjoyed the OmegaStar so much that I felt bad taking it back.  I consoled her by telling her that I'd been planning to upgrade to one of your FET Valve amps that I could then part with the OmegaStar.  So now I have my excuse to buy a 350EXR :-).

I've been using Blue Jeans interconnects for a while now.  I don't know that they make any appreciable sonic difference, but they're well constructed of good quality components, and their prices, though not cheap, are reasonable.  Their connectors slide on smoothly, yet provide a firm grip.  I don't have any of their audio-pair interconnects to spare but do have a spare digital cable that you'd be welcome to if it meets your needs.  It's not 3 feet but 30 inches. The cable is Belden 1694A coax, which is rather stiff, so it might be awkward on a bench but Ok in a rack if the reach is long enough.

I got my April/May Sensible Sound in the mail today and, leafing through it, saw your ad for the Ultra EC preamp.  It looks nice, almost pretty enough to make me regret that I got an Ultra SL in the old box :-).

Take Care.

warnerwh

Frank
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2006, 04:37 am »
I swapped the interconnects with the locking RCA's for a 2 meter pair of Radio Shack interconnects. The only reason I could see how someone destroyed an rca jack with locking ones is trying to make them too tight, all they need is a slight twist.

You'll find the Radio Shack IC's to have sound that is ethereal.  They will move your system into another dimension.  The electricity actually goes into another dimension before returning back and the sonic improvement is truly incredible.

I have a question for you Frank: Why would you want to biwire?  I'm sure you have plenty of amps you can use for biamping.

avahifi

Frank
« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2006, 01:08 pm »
I want to try bi-wiring my Salk HT-3s because there may be good technical reasons for doing this.  Of course I could bi-amp too, but one thing as a time.

Frank

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Frank
« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2006, 02:50 pm »
Frank:

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery, be careful lifting those amps of your  :D