What are you listening to right now?

elasticnorseman

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #66860 on: 8 Feb 2015, 12:17 am »

Who's Next - The Who     (1971)

samples

elasticnorseman

« Reply #66861 on: 8 Feb 2015, 01:08 am »

Górecki: Kleines Requiem für Eine Polka / Lerchenmusik - Reinbert De Leeuw: Schoenberg Ensemble        (1993)

samples

David Lester

« Reply #66862 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:06 am »
Charlie Haden with Ernie Watts. "Private Collection"

elasticnorseman

« Reply #66863 on: 8 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm »

The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo - Steve Martin     (2009)

samples

Don_S

« Reply #66864 on: 8 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm »

Airborn

« Reply #66865 on: 9 Feb 2015, 12:38 am »
Throwing Muses, The Real Ramona (1991)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66866 on: 9 Feb 2015, 12:55 am »
Lee Moses - Time and Place (1971)

Samples

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66867 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:32 am »
Actually, Slush, most of the group live in West and SW part of town which is one of the reasons I don't attend many meetings.  Heck, I live NORTH of The Woodlands.  One of the founders lives out my way and has a killer system but in a not so good room.  Houston Audio Society has a website and you can keep abreast of meetings by venturing there.  Look forward to making your acquaintance and you are welcome to visit my "tune room" almost anytime.  One thing I have more than just about everybody is a wide range of musical flavors and my system ain't too shabby neither.  Just small is all but marries me room pretty well.  Lemme know if a particular HAS meet might be of interest to you and I'll try and attend. 

One thing you gotta do is meet Joe F.  Joe shuns preamps and is an electrical engineer by trade.  He uses a twenty-five hundred dollar volume control instead and has a half dozen vintage and famous tube amps.  He has a SOTA turntable, very expensive and highly thought of radial tracking arm and cartridge that he deploys to load music to his computer.  He loves me cause of my vinyl collection.  His system has transparency and resolution like, I dare say, you've never heard and he loves to entertain.  I wanna demo of your 1.7's!  Plus, yer Onix!  Thanks.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for all the info. We spent most of our weekend unboxing and putting stuff away. I have a few hours tonight to myself and will look for the website. I look forward to meeting the group when the dust finally settles from our big move.

Unfortunately I just sold the 1.7's. I got tired of trying to get them to sound their best in my listening room and in frustration I sold them and decided to go in a new direction (currently without speakers and using my portable system for music). My short list is Von Schweikert VR-33's or VR-35's, and at the other end Golden Ear Triton One's. To be honest I'm probably going to get the Triton One's. I'm tired of tweaking and upgrading and second guessing. I want music to be FUN again and I think the Triton One's will put a big ol' smile on my face. The reviews are very positive. Surprisingly my girlfriend approves of the look  :thumb:

I still have the Onix XIA-160 but have approval to upgrade to a Rogue Audio Pharaoh if it doesn't work out. Hopefully I won't have to because it's the best looking integrated I've ever seen.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated!

Slush

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66868 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:56 am »
The Boxer Rebellion - Promises (2013)

Samples

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66869 on: 9 Feb 2015, 03:03 am »
Family of the Year - Loma Vista (2012)

Samples

terry parr

« Reply #66870 on: 9 Feb 2015, 04:51 am »
after checking out The Boxer Rebellion, i immediately thought that this album could've been played on MTV circa 1983. 

the overall sound of this album took me back to that time.   the sound of this album would have slotted right in back then. 

they seem to have a real good handle on getting that inorganic, synth-based, overly-processed sound.  (and, yes.  that was a compliment).
but, for those of us who lived through this british synth band sound once, once was pretty much enough.  (not that everything on MTV at that time was sweet bubblegum that you discarded as soon as the sweetness faded).  but a lot of it was.

not my cup of tea.  but they're good at getting that early 80's british pop sound.  brought back memories.   

elasticnorseman

« Reply #66871 on: 9 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm »

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath     (1974)

samples

WC

« Reply #66872 on: 9 Feb 2015, 12:44 pm »

St. Vincent - St. Vincent (ALAC (2014))

Samples

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66873 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:26 pm »
after checking out The Boxer Rebellion, i immediately thought that this album could've been played on MTV circa 1983. 

the overall sound of this album took me back to that time.   the sound of this album would have slotted right in back then. 

they seem to have a real good handle on getting that inorganic, synth-based, overly-processed sound.  (and, yes.  that was a compliment).
but, for those of us who lived through this british synth band sound once, once was pretty much enough.  (not that everything on MTV at that time was sweet bubblegum that you discarded as soon as the sweetness faded).  but a lot of it was.

not my cup of tea.  but they're good at getting that early 80's british pop sound.  brought back memories.

They do the retro thing pretty well. The first time I heard one of their songs it thought it was from a 80's/90's band I'd never heard before.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66874 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:31 pm »
The Waterboys - Modern Blues (2015)

Samples

elasticnorseman

« Reply #66875 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:14 pm »

Grofé: Death Valley Suite, Hudson River Suite, Hollywood Suite - William Stromberg: Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra        (2002)

samples

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66876 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:27 pm »
Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)

Samples

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66877 on: 9 Feb 2015, 03:27 pm »
Elton John - Madman Across the Water [SACD] (1971)

Samples

elasticnorseman

« Reply #66878 on: 9 Feb 2015, 05:26 pm »

The Suburbs - Arcade Fire     (2010)

samples

SlushPuppy

« Reply #66879 on: 9 Feb 2015, 05:41 pm »
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Peepshow (1988)

Samples