Binding Posts and RCA Jacks On AVA Amps?

Wayner

Re: Binding Posts and RCA Jacks On AVA Amps?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jul 2006, 08:43 pm »
Toka,

If gold plating is bad, you better tell every computer manufacturer, hifi manufacturer, connector manufacturer..................... Gold isn't a perfect conductor but that is not it's real mission. The mission is to secure a mechanical slipfit connection a.k.a. a jack and a plug. How many times in the old days has a system problem popped up and with a few wiggles of the wires, it went away. It has been discovered that these small mechanical connectors for all of our equipment is subject to corrosion and oxidation. Gold plating, though not the most perfect conductor, solves this problem. Computers are full of gold in all of their connectors to make them reliable. Until some wiz bang chemist/metalurgist comes up with a new alloy, it's the best we have. I want my stuff to have gold connectors.

Toka

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2006, 09:00 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I don't personally see anything bad about it (more than my share of gold-plated whatsits all over the place)...maybe the nickel sub-plate is more of an issue (and I don't even know if that is what AVA or anyone else uses). It was more of a general question...I tend to over-read into certain subjects and end up being more confused than before I looked into it...guess 'ignorance is bliss' really is true.  :wink: One day I'll stop being so curious...yea right.  8)

avahifi

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2006, 11:09 pm »
The brand and plating material on the jacks is soooooo far down the list of worse case problems that it simply is not worth our debating.

Frank Van Alstine

Toka

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:24 pm »
Fair enough.  :thumb: