Actual comparison of Blu Ray vs HD by someone whos seen both

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:52 pm »
a good read.  I especially like the blurb "..did anyone else notice that Universal is planning to launch the format with the exact same titles it kicked off DVD 8 years ago? There’s nothing like kickstarting a new format with films like “Waterworld” that no one wants to see again anyway. " :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:57 pm »
Luckily there are some great movies in the initial Blu-Ray releases.  At least great to my way of thinking (eg Resident Evil Apocolyse, etc).

Ears

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2006, 10:11 pm »
Its also painfully obvious that HD is being rushed to market because it is so far behind that there desperate.
By the sounds of it, Hd might not be as good as DVHS in its current state.

I want an upgrade to a better picture...but also a cleaner picture with less artifacts, and it looks like only B/R can offer that at this point.
 500.00 players are only a bargain if the two formats are equal....but clearly they are not.

rbrb

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2006, 12:09 am »
After reading the review a couple of questions or concerns come to mind.

Firstly who exactly is this guy?

Secondly how much value do I put in the opinion of someone that would use a $50 DVD player?  Is someone like that truly concerned about picture quality?  All though DVD players have come a long way at the bottom of the price structure they are not without their faults, sometimes serious faults.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2006, 12:13 am »
I wouldn't count out HD, or any other lower price point strategy.  Remember back in the early video tape days.  The higher quality clearly went to Beta, no questions.  The VHS camp was laughed at.  The lower price point and global marketing effort of VHS eventually won people over, and the engine was primed.  Worldwide sales became R&D dollars.  Eventually the VHS group developed a tape and recording technology that was good enough to put a fork into Beta, and the rest was history.  I was a beta-phile for those first ten years, but eventually S-VHS got me.  

I think we are much more savvy consumers now, and that format war taught us a lot (the hi-rez format war is not on a high enough scale to matter or use as an example, unfortunately).  History has a way of repeating itself; we'll see if the Blu-Ray gang can take this possible quality lead and do something with it.  Let's hope it's sooner rather than later, or we all lose.

HumanMedia

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:05 am »
The article doesnt mention that the first year of Bluray releases are still just higher res MPEG2 and not H.264 (which Sony said they would support when HD-DVD had the edge, but now they feel they have the edge they have backed off h.264)

A Blueray media with H.264 would be great, but Bluray with MPEG2 is IMO inferior to HD-DVD with h.264.

Ears

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:07 am »
Quote from: ted_b
I wouldn't count out HD, or any other lower price point strategy.  Remember back in the early video tape days.  The higher quality clearly went to Beta, no questions.  The VHS camp was laughed at.  The lower price point and global marketing effort of VHS eventually won people over, and the engine was primed.  Worldwide sales became R&D dollars.  Eventually the VHS group developed a tape and recording technology that was good enough to put a fork into Beta, and the rest was history.  I was a beta-phile for t ...

Ted...I am not counting anyone out....but Blu Ray has 90% studio support and HD has less than 30%.
On hardware its about the 80/20% ratio as far as actual player brands go.

VHS had the studio support...so it was not just a matter of VHS being cheaper.

Average Joes will not be buying either format for quite a while other than all those Trojan Horse PS3's.

I fully understand that just because I, as an early adopter chose B/R....that its not a given that it will win....or that either format will even be around long term.
Another thing is that all the first players on both formats are going to be outdated by, or before the end of 06 as far as features.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:17 am »
It looks like the first HD-DVD will cost about $500 vs $1000 for the first BRD.  A bit steep, but I'm sure prices will come down.  I'd love to see the most advanced version of BRD succeed, but it's hard to know how things will shake out.  And eventually something will perhaps replace both.

I'm planning on holding out for Blu-Ray myself. 8)

Ears

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:38 pm »
Check out this flip flopping from Microsoft....it seems there not all to confident in HD's sucess :wink:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142137.html

wshuff

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:56 pm »
That article is dated June 2, 2005, which makes me wonder how relevant it really is today.

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2006, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
That article is dated June 2, 2005, which makes me wonder how relevant it really is today.

If you go to the home page of that site and read the short editorial on the right side published yesterday, it reflects the same thoughts based on last week's CES...

rbrb

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2006, 06:41 pm »
I'm not sure if the Microsoft article is flip flopping as much is it is their attempt to knock the wind out of Sony's sails when they launch the PS3.  If BR is is going to sell game consoles they are leaving the possibility of it being compatible with the 360 open.

Ears

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2006, 01:02 am »
Quote from: rbrb
I'm not sure if the Microsoft article is flip flopping as much is it is their attempt to knock the wind out of Sony's sails when they launch the PS3.  If BR is is going to sell game consoles they are leaving the possibility of it being compatible with the 360 open.

More like trying to string everyone out so that neither format takes off by the time they have downloadable hd movies for sale :D

Xbox will not even put a dent in PS3 sales as it has B/R games....not just movies.
Sony has sold over 100 million ps2's which are inferior to the original xbox....and have a very loyal following.

Remember....content is king.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2006, 04:15 am »
Fwiw, Merill Lynch is projecting that at the end of five years, the Xbox 360 will have outsold the P3 by about 11 million units.

Woodsea

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2006, 08:08 am »
It don't matter about a following.  The best bang for the buck will win.  For the life of me, I do not see how Sony is going to be able to compete with BR built in the PS3.  The console is either going to come out 6 mos later, or is going to cost at least $150 more than the 360.  Maybe both.
If they do sell it at $399 and it has BR, I will be getting it.  As the new stand alone units will be about a grand.
That is a no brainer.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:18 pm »
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6912189#post6912189

You all have to keep an eye on this spin coming from this Microsoft employee in this thread. His name is Amir. Some of this stuff is just unbelievable.

Ears

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2006, 07:34 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Fwiw, Merill Lynch is projecting that at the end of five years, the Xbox 360 will have outsold the P3 by about 11 million units.

I doubt that very much and we have a 360.

Ears

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2006, 07:38 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
It don't matter about a following.  The best bang for the buck will win.  For the life of me, I do not see how Sony is going to be able to compete with BR built in the PS3.  The console is either going to come out 6 mos later, or is going to cost at least $150 more than the 360.  Maybe both.
If they do sell it at $399 and it has BR, I will be getting it.  As the new stand alone units will be about a grand.
That is a no brainer.

360 add on hd drive has been rumored to be 299.00 ....making a premium systym that most buy.....700.00 + extra controller.

True gamers(not me) will own both, and only one has a built in player for hd movies.
Xbox 360 owners seem to not give two sh*ts about hd for the most part anyway, from what I have read.

mcrespo71

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2006, 08:01 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock

What was he smoking?  I'd bet anyone $100 this won't happen.  PS2's userbase is so freaking huge- literally 60% of this userbase would have to jump ship and buy Xbox 360's for this prediction to actually happen.  

Michael