Music on DVD Video

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Music on DVD Video
« on: 2 Jan 2003, 12:40 am »
What is everyones take on DVD music, either concert stuff or music videos?  Does anyone enjoy them?

I have a DVD of Joe Satriani, Live In San Francisco;  the sound is excellent with superb bass, and it's great to be able to watch the man play.  Truly the next best thing to being there.  Some other really good ones include Roy Orbison's "A Black And White Night" and the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" (the former being better than the latter.)

Then I also have a performance of Dvorak's Symphony #9, From The New World, and it I didn't particularly like.  The sound mix was poor, the camera work was distracting, etc.  Now of course DVD Video won't match the res of DVD-A or SACD, but you can still get reasonable sound.  This just wasn't a very good disc.  I actually sold it when I cleaned out my old junk.  Likewise, Metallica's "S & M" disc and "Cunning Stunts" didn't really do much for me either.

Definately I have to be in a certain mood to watch the DVD as opposed to just listening.

jcoat007

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2003, 02:16 am »
I have just recently gotten into this.  I love watching the concert as well as listening to it.  I have about 10 of these DVD's now, and have watched them multiple times already.  I cannot say that about too many movies.

bob82274

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2003, 02:51 pm »
I have three concert dvds.  Both Eric clapton and the Eagles were really good.  I also have the U2 elevation and I have to say that I am not fan of it due to the weird camera angles.  I should probably go back and watch it again.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Music on DVD Video
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2003, 02:48 am »
Seventy five!?"  Wow, I haven't even seen that many.  I've got a modest assortment, and I agree a really good one can knock your socks off, esp the type of thing you'll never get a chance to see live (eg, Orbison in a small club, now that he's passed away).

What do you have, Marbles, just a sample?  Any April Wine or Nazarath?

Wayne1

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2003, 02:41 pm »
I watch quite a few of them. I really enjoy the good ones quite a bit.

I own the Eagles, Sade: Lovers Rock, The Moody Blues, and Jethro Tull.

I have rented and really liked Appalachian Journey.

I just watched a DVD from The String Cheese Incident. It was a little off-beat but the playing was incredible.

Marbles

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:52 pm »
DVD   

Group   Title

A tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan   
AC/DC   No Bull
AC/DC   Stiff Upper Lip
Alice Cooper   Brutally Live
Areosmith   The Making of Pump
Bad Company   Merchants of cool
BB King   Blues Summit
Beatles   Yellow Submarine
Beatles   Hard Days night
Billy Joel   Greatest Hits volume III
Blues Brothers   
Bruce Springsteen   The complete Video Anthology 1978-2000
Buena Vista Social Club   
Cars   Live
Chuck Mangione   The Feelings back
Clapton and Friends   In Concert
Dave mathews Band   Listener supported
Diana Krall    Live in Paris
Dolby DVD Spectacular   
Don Henley   Live Inside Job
Eagles    Hell Freezes Over
Elton John   One Night Only - Greatest Hits
Eric Clapton   Live in Hyde Park
Fantasia 2000   
Fleetwood Mac   The Dance
Foreplay   An evening of
G3   Live in Concert
Gloria Estafan   The Eevolution tour live
Herbert Van Karajan   Ludwig Van Beethoven No. 9 "choral"
James Brown   Live!
James Taylor   At the Beacon
Jazz On a Summers Day   
Jimi Hendrix   Experience
Joan Jett   Live
John Fogerty   Premonition
Johnny Winter   Pieces and bits
King Crimson   Deja Vroom
Led Zeppelin   The Song Remains the Same
Legends of Rock'n'roll   Live
Maria Callas    In concert Hamburg 1959 and 1962
Monterey Jazz Festival   
Motley Crue   Lewd Crued and tattooed
MTV Unplugged   Superstars
Music For Montserat   
Neil Young   Red Rocks-live
Paul Simon   You’re the One - in concert
Peter Frampton   Live In Detroit
Piano Grand   
Pink Floyd   The Wall
Prince   Purple Rain
Queen   We Will Rock you
Ray Orbison   Black and White Night
REO Speedwagon   Live
Ringo Star   and His Allstarr Band so far…
Roger Waters   In the Flesh
Rolling Stones   Bridges to Babylon
Sade       Live
Sammy Hagar   Cabo Wabo Birthday bash Tour
Santana   Supernatural - Live
Sarah Brightman   La Luna
Sessions at West 54th   The best of vol.1
Steely Dan   Two against Nature
Stevie Ray Vaughan   Live From Austin Tx
Stevie Ray Vaughan   Live at the El Mocambo
Styx   Return to Paradise
Supertramp   The Story So Far
The Who   Isle of Wight Festival 1970
Tina Turner   Live from Amsterdam
Tina Turner   One last time live
Tom Petty    High Grass Dogs -From the Fillmore
Van Halen    Live Right here Right now
Yes   Live from the House Of Blues

DVD-A's   
Big Phat Band   Swingin For the Fences
Blue Man Group   
Deep Purple   Machine Head
Emerson Lake And Palmer   Brain Salad Surgery
Foreigner   Foreigner
George Benson   Breezin

hairofthedawg

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:15 pm »
Two Against Nature sounds very good to me, although I wish it was a lot longer.  Some great music made and stories told by Steely Dan, plus they have great taste in backup singers.  I have The Making of Stars and Stripes by the Beach Boys and love it, especially Caroline No with Timothy Schmidt of the Eagles.

jonwb

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:30 pm »
I was looking at putting some music/concert DVD's on my Christmas list.  One hangup, probably a little knit-picky i know, but are there any that are done in anamorphic widescreen?  I looked at a few at Best Buy several months ago and none were even widescreen.  I have a 16X9 direct veiw set and would perfer to have selections fill that screen w/o having to strectch & zoom (picture quality suffers).

I watched Clapton's concert on DirecTV this past December a few times and it was displayed in a wide aspect ratio (looked like 1.85:1).  Anyone know if that DVD is widescreen (and anamorphic)?

Jon

hairofthedawg

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2003, 01:05 pm »
For starters Marbles, how are both AC/DC, or is one better than the others, Stevie Ray Vaughan's, plus the tribute and Supertramp?  Roy Orbison too, do you share Rob's opinion of it?  Not a DVD, but Dueling Banjos totally blew me away when it popped up on my mp3 playlist! :o

hairofthedawg

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2003, 02:09 pm »
Reading your list of DVD's reminded me that I have deja Vroom by King Crimson so I popped that in for a little while and WOW!  Hearing the detail of those guys' musicianship is amazing.  It also made me feel a lot better about my setup as far as soundstaging goes with the way I could see and hear them trading off vocals and the dual percussionists.

bubba966

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2003, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
For me Hell Freezes over is a Reference DVD.  I'm a bit tired of it, but if you could only buy one, this would be a good one.

Hmmm. I've actually got this on a DTS LD, but have never bothered to even open it. Might have to slice the shrink on it someday.

I'm assuming the DVD is in DTS as well. But is it half rate or full rate dts?

bubba966

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2003, 07:26 pm »
I know they quit putting full rate DTS on movies some time back with Saving Private Ryan as the last full rate movie. But I don't know about the audio/concert discs.

It is full rate on the LD. But all DTS LD's are full rate... :mrgreen:

PeteG

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2003, 11:36 pm »
I had both LD & DVD of HFO before I sold off my LD player and discs,
and to me the LD sounded better but the DVD had a better picture. I don't know why, the LD seemed more musical & less edgy.

I truly miss my old pink floyd LD's. :(

bubba966

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2003, 01:58 am »
Quote from: PeteG
I had both LD & DVD of HFO before I sold off my LD player and discs,
and to me the LD sounded better but the DVD had a better picture. I don't know why, the LD seemed more musical & less edgy.

Which LD of HFO did you have? There were 2 that I'm aware of. One being a DTS release, the other just a PCM release.

Are there multiple versions of it on DVD?

And which LD player did you have? That might've accounted for the LD not looking up to snuff. But as I've never opened my HFO LD I don't know if it looks good on any player.

bob82274

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2003, 02:59 am »
For the HFO DVD release the DTS and PCM are on the same disk.  Just a matter of picking it at the start of the disk.  DTS also gets you an extra song, no video though.  :(

PeteG

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2003, 01:23 pm »
Bubba

I had the DTS LD which I think the bottom end was a little hot.
And the player was my second player a pioneer 2-side play, don't
remember the #.

As far as the picture from the pioneer it didn't have a bad one,
but the majority of my DVD's always had a better picture.

Like Bob said the DVD is a all in one disc. Bubba rip off that
skrinkrap and get that big sucker spinning. :D

Castanza

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2003, 10:19 pm »
Since I just bought my DVD player about 3 weeks ago, I have acculumated around 7 or 8 dvd music videos. I don't even consider buying cd's for now. I was impressed by the first, Eagles Hell Freezes Over. This afternoon I got Fleetwood Mac, Dance, so this evening me & the misses will drink wine. I am hooked for now, although my dvd player isn't capable of playing dvd-a or sacd's for now. The only question I have is what has anyone bought that didn't sound decent, I mean like some of the old artists. What I have read that it depends on who remastered and etc.

John Bauder

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2003, 06:04 pm »
Marbles how is the quality of the Maria Callas dvd and where can it be purchased?

John Bauder

Music on DVD Video
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2003, 06:46 pm »
I played the Maria Callas dvd I got from Marbles - thanks Marbles!  It was different.  It was from about 1960 so B & W.  Maria was in concert but going through all the facial expressions and gestures as if she were in an opera with other people.  It was quite distracting but once I got used to it I really began to enjoy the music.  MY god can she sing!!

akshobhyavajra

Re: Music on DVD Video
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2003, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
What is everyones take on DVD music, either concert stuff or music videos?  Does anyone enjoy them?

Sometimes I like to just listen to music on LP or redbook - other times I enjoy actually watching a live music performance.  I recently purchased Diana Krall's Live in Paris DVD, which was really well done.  In terms of classical music I find that watching an Opera helps me to understand the theatrical aspect better when I later just play it in my turntable (esp when I'm too lazy to read the libretto).  All in all it's great when one can explore different formats.

~Michael~