January Meeting in Raleigh/ Nuforce/Channel Islands Comparo

claud

I will have a meeting at my house on January 14, 2006.  PM me here for directions. I am not providing food, but will be able to scare up a cold Miller Lite.
My room is small, 11x13 but has a couch. See my tube system registered here for equipment details. I think that the meeting will start at 12:30 to give my wife time to leave, and run till 5. Don't forget to bring your test/reference CDs or/and vinyl.
Special thanks to Dusty at Channel Islands Audio for providing the D-100s, and Shane, our own Home Theater Doc, for providing Nuforce Refrence 8s.

sheadlee

« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2005, 04:05 pm »
Claud,

I would like to attend, but I probably can't get there until about 1:30-2:00PM.

I need to get around some audiophiles, again...my audio juices are drying up.

claud

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2005, 06:22 pm »
The Channel Islands D-100s arrived today. I'll try to put 100+ hours on them before the meeting on the 14th.

claud

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2006, 01:22 am »
The NuForce Ref 8s arrived Saturday. Shane wants me to put some hours on them since they have not been used since they returned from the factory for current upgrades. That's my job starting tomorrow. The CI Audio amps are almost brokein since I'm now ready to buy them. When your system nails you to your seat, you know the sound is right. If the Nuforce sound as good, I'm in trouble.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:13 pm »
When your system nails you to your seat, you know the sound is right. If the Nuforce sound as good, I'm in trouble.
Thank goodness for delivery and catheters, but are you able to get the pizza boy up to your room?  Probably not with that sack hanging off your belt.  :)  So, first one there Sat has to empty it?

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:55 am »
I'll be a little late ... going to the State-Tech game, which has a noon start.  Should see y'all by 2:30.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2006, 10:32 am »
Is the Ref 8 version 8.02?

claud

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2006, 04:41 pm »
Jason, do you put a sticker on them to note the current version? If not these are the ones that you upgraded for the Home Theater Doc/Shane Sangster of Raleigh, NC, one of your dealers. Shane said they have all current upgrades. They have not been used since returning to Shane. I put 20 music hours on them last week, and they are on a 40 hour continuous run as we speak. When I say "run", I mean they are playing music, but the sound volume is low.

claud

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2006, 04:49 pm »
For those of you coming to this meet. There might not be a vinyl source. My TT went in for tuning/repairs last Saturday. I received a new cart yesterday which I took to the dealer for setup and mounting today. Its a Rega, and the dealer does not think that he has the right spacers/shims for VTA adjustment. All this is too "iffy" to say that it will be there Saturday.

sheadlee

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2006, 04:47 pm »
Claud,

Do you need for us to bring any 'goodies/snacks'...drinks, etc.???

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:17 am »
Jason, do you put a sticker on them to note the current version? If not these are the ones that you upgraded for the Home Theater Doc/Shane Sangster of Raleigh, NC, one of your dealers.

I don't think those are the latest. Yes, we put a version number at the bottom, and they should be 8.02.
To confirm it, open the case and check if D16 (upper left corner of the amp circuit board - 8x3 inch board) has anything on it. The diode has been removed in version 8.02.   U3 should have NE5532 opamp.

As a policy, we offer minor upgrade free or charge (or with a small service fee) to customers.  If you like, we can send you a shipping label to send those units back to our factory for upgrade (shouldn't require any more breakin). Email to support@nuforce.com.

claud

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:29 am »
As I said in my initial post, i'm able to find you a Miller Light, or maybe a Rona if I look hard enough. I might even be able to find a half bottle of dry roasted peanuts.  That's it. We are not a snack household, though you would not think that by my size.
The good news is that the vinyl source has returned. Rega P25 with new Shelter 501 MkII is in the house.
As to whether I have the latest/greatest 8.02 version of the Nuforce, I'll wait for Shane to open them up and check it out when he arrives.

HumanMedia

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2006, 07:18 am »
Has this taken place yet?

If so, any opinions and peoples preferences?

claud

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2006, 02:25 pm »
Yes, it was held yesterday. Because I received the CI amps late, on 12/28, I was only able to put around 90 hours on them and 60 on the NuForce. The Nuforce were an 8.01 version. and not used much since thir upgrade in July.
Friday night, the CIs sounded great in my system, but had again gotten bright by Saturday. The Nuforce must have received enough breakin because they were very nice on Saturday. When we changed from the CI amps to the NuForce, I wanted to give them 30 minutes to warm up, but the rest of the guys said to start the music. With only about 5 minutes of warm up, the NuForce made an immediate good impression. They were not bright, but clean , a touch warm, and dynamic.
This was not a good comparo of these amps. I should have received them two weeks before for proper breakin. When the meeting was over, I replaced them with my Cary V12R and was happier.

HumanMedia

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2006, 11:35 pm »
So the CI amps started sounding good and ended up bright?

Do you think they needed a longer break in time?

And the Nuforce sounded better even with less break-in?

Nuforce were warmer?

Hmm I just heard some broken-in Nuforce 9's on the weekend and I thought they were a little cold in upper midrange and lower treble.

What were the pros and cons of each, and what were other peoples opinions?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:15 am »
NuForce Ref 9 is extremely neutral and revealing. If you near some artifacts in the system, it must be other equipments  :lol:
If you call our amp "warm" and "sweet" and consider that as compliment, I will take the compliment but still disagree.  Our goal is to make our amp and preamp as pure and accurate as possible. You can tweak the sound with cables and speakers.

claud

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2006, 01:12 am »
The Nuforce were used demo amps that had been upgraded in July 05, but not used much since their upgrade. The CI amps were new when I received them 12/28/05. The Nuforce were broke in and sounding good by the meet. The CI amps at around 90 hours were not ready . They changed a number of times when I tried to listen to them as they were breaking in. I put around 60 hours on them continuously, then listened to them Friday night. They sounded very good then. I switched to Nuforce for the night for their final night of breakin. I switched to the CI amps Saturday. They again sounded bright. They are not even close to being broke in. They need 200 hours. My system is VERY revealing. I can hear a tube when it begins to go bad. I may put the rest of the hours on the CIs and report. Depends on Dusty.

sheadlee

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2006, 06:52 pm »
Claud,

A belated thanks for your hospitality, and the opportunity to hear some nice equipment.

As mentioned...the Channel Islands did sound good, but seemed to have just a bit of an 'edge' to them. The Nuforce seemed to sound less edgy and were very revealing.

Carlman

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2006, 07:09 pm »
Sorry to have missed this get-together...  Hope everyone had a fun time.
So far it sounds like Claud likes tubes. ;)  No surprises there...  :lol:

-C

HumanMedia

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2006, 09:21 pm »
Quote from: claud
The Nuforce were used demo amps that had been upgraded in July 05, but not used much since their upgrade. The CI amps were new when I received them 12/28/05. The Nuforce were broke in and sounding good by the meet. The CI amps at around 90 hours were not ready . They changed a number of times when I tried to listen to them as they were breaking in. I put around 60 hours on them continuously, then listened to them Friday night. They sounded very good then. I switched to Nuforce for the night for their final  ...

Let us know you opinion when they are broken in.  When they sound good, do you feel their sound is superior to the Nuforce or vice versa?