January Meeting in Raleigh/ Nuforce/Channel Islands Comparo

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2006, 12:03 pm »
Sorry to have missed this get-together...
Maybe Clsud will forgive us and issue a raincheck for when they are broken-in.  I haven't even heard the Merlin mods broken-in, and I have some interesting new tunes to turn you on to.

Carlman

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Sorry to have missed this get-together...
Maybe Clsud will forgive us and issue a raincheck for when they are broken-in.  I haven't even heard the Merlin mods broken-in, and I have some interesting new tunes to turn you on to.

Sounds great... new tunes, rain checks, all works for me! :)

I've got a few things lying around worth showing off if anyone's interested.... We'll cross that road when we get there.

claud

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2006, 01:29 pm »
I now know why the CI amps sounded bright. Dusty just PMed me that they need at least an hour of warmup before playing. On both occassions when they sounded bright, they had been played with very little or no warm up. On those occassions that they sounded great, they had been playing several hours. On the day of our meet, they had warmed up about thirty minutes when Lensman arrived and we tried to play them. They sounded so bad, we cut them off and I changed to less aggressive preamp tubes, EH 6SN7s. We played them about 30 minutes more before cutting them off and switching to the Nuforce. I may try another comparo before returning them to CI.