SB3 Question...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
SB3 Question...
« on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:26 am »
I have a wireless SB3 (just got it)...can it run as a wired unit ? Say...a cable from the router to the SB3....thanks ! :banghead:
    Chris[/list:u]

bubba966

SB3 Question...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:41 am »
Does it have an ethernet port on the back of it? If so, then yeah, you can run it wired.

toxteth ogrady

SB3 Question...
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:42 am »
In short, yes.

Upon setting up the Squeezebox it will ask you to choose the kind of network you'd like to run. Simply select ethernet instead of wireless and make sure your computer is set the same.

lonewolfny42

SB3 Question...
« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:45 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Does it have an ethernet port on the back of it? If so, then yeah, you can run it wired.
Yes it does...so I'll give that a try then. I could not get it running as a wireless...even using two computers.... :banghead:

Jay S

SB3 Question...
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:46 am »
I don't have a SB but I've found that unplugging/replugging the router and restarting my PC helps when I can't get on to my wireless network.

lonewolfny42

SB3 Question...
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:52 am »
Quote from: Jay S
I don't have a SB but I've found that unplugging/replugging the router and restarting my PC helps when I can't get on to my wireless network.
That would worry me Jay...had a hard enough time getting it to function correctly... :?
    This "stuff" ain't that easy...if you don't know what your doing.... :? [/list:u]
      Hope all's well with you and your wife....how many years now? Good to hear from you !![/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

toxteth ogrady

SB3 Question...
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2005, 07:11 am »
are you on a mac or a pc? If you're on a mac I might be able to help you... just set mine up this weekend.

lonewolfny42

SB3 Question...
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2005, 07:16 am »
Windows XP...a HP desktop and Gateway laptop...seems on the HP downloaded program does not open. Says its running on Gateway...but the SB3 can't connect. Very frustrating. :?

toxteth ogrady

SB3 Question...
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2005, 07:43 am »
Setting up a wireless network can be simple in some cases, but to the uninitiated or when a problem arises prepare to pull your hair out. I spent all of this last weekend trying to get mine set up. My first problem was that I purchased a shitbox defective router from Best Buy. Got that solved when I returned it for another router but little did I know how much of a hassle it was going to be attempting to set up the SB3 wirelessly. Long story short is that thanks to the chicken wire in my plaster and lath walls, wireless just ain't an option for me! So I know what you're going through. Try giving the tech support guys at Slim Devices a call... they're pretty patient and will walk you through it.

lonewolfny42

SB3 Question...
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2005, 07:47 am »
Guess I'll give them a call today...otherwise, out it goes. Thanks !! :thumb:

Jay S

SB3 Question...
« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2005, 09:07 am »
Chris,

Its really not easy. I end up having to reboot my laptop (running XP Pro) and power cycle the router every now and then since I often switch among different wired and wireless networks (office, client, airport, home...).  

Walls in HK are very thick so I can only get my laptop as far as halfway into the next room before I lose signal from my D-Link 802.11g router. I will try one of the new NIMO wireless routers but sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just run cables to my laptop and my wife's and ditch wireless altogether.

We had our civil wedding back in Feb 03 so we're getting close to 3 years now!  8)  How time flies... I would not have done it sooner/faster (there's a right time for everything) but at the same time I would not want to live my life now any other way.  

Cheers,

- Jay

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
SB3 Question...
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2005, 12:15 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Guess I'll give them a call today...otherwise, out it goes. Thanks !! :thumb:

Don't give up that easy Chris.

You can call me at home for some tech support if you like.

George

jermmd

SB3 Question...
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2005, 01:04 pm »
My SB2 setup was as easy as could be. I basically plugged it in and it set itself up. It found the network on its own and connected automatically. I'm not sure why some people have problems connecting to their networks but I don't think its a problem with the Squeezebox. I think the SB3 is basically the same as the SB2. Don't give up on it. It really is great.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
SB3 Question...
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2005, 01:06 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Quote from: bubba966
Yes it does...so I'll give that a try then. I could not get it running as a wireless...even using two computers.... :banghead:

Chris,

I would bet that you are not setting up your wireless network right.  I tried a couple of days and then :idea: decided to offer a couple of beers to get a neighbor, a whippersnapper IT sort of guy, to set up a network using my D-link wireless router.  Before SB2 I didn't have to set up a network for getting on the net.  If you feel like this,  call up a friend or better yet offer a sixpack to an IT guy at your office to get your network set up right.  My wireles SB2 is working pretty good now.

Tweaker

SB3 Question...
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2005, 01:10 pm »
The biggest problem getting the Squeezebox to connect is with the computers firewall. Do you use a third party firewall or XPs built in firewall?

CornellAlum

SB3 Question...
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2005, 02:34 pm »
I don't use a firewall, and I couldn't for the life of me get my router to connect to the slimserver deal yesterday, and I think I tried just about everything I know.  Any ideas?  Running XP, no sp2, with a Belkin router.  It connects to my computer just fine, sees the network, etc.  I just can't get into the slimserver, it says cannot find box or something to that effect.

Daryan

Tweaker

SB3 Question...
« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2005, 03:16 pm »
I would assign a static ip address to your squeezebox. You will need to find out your computers ip configuration. The easiest way is to open the command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes). This will give you the info you need. Write down your computers ip address, the subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.000), your default gateway, and dns server numbers. Now go to the "setup networking" and start the "setup a wireless network" as usual. After it detects your access point you will have the option to enter "assign an ip address automatically" (or something to that effect) or you can scroll to "enter the settings manually"(or something to that effect. Sorry, I'm at work and don't recall ehat the exact wording is). Do that. If you have your access point set up with security (WEP or WAP) you will need that info too. When you get to the field for entering the ip address of your Squeezebox enter one a number or two above your computers address. For example if your computers ip address is 192.168.1.107, enter 192.168.1.108. I would also assign a static ip address to your access point.
 This will hopefully work for you and is the manufacterers recommended setup.

mcgsxr

SB3 Question...
« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2005, 03:18 pm »
I am also fighting the wireless blues here in Burlington - I can set it up, and it does connect sometimes, but other times it refuses until I power cycle all the gear (broadband router, Linksys router, PC, and SB3).

I attribute it to the distance involved, and if I had the option to hardwire, I would.  I don't.

I am in the process of replacing the 2.4 ghz phones, with some Uniden 5.8 ghz units, that should help.

I am also trying to sort out if I should add a repeater/bridge on the main floor of the house, or just return the Linksys WRT54, and get one of the "double" speed units from either Belkin, or Netgear...

If not for the fantastic sound when connected, I would NOT pursue this!

I look forward to getting the intermittent basement signal problem sorted, and leveraging the 10g of FLAC I now have ripped!

toxteth ogrady

SB3 Question...
« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2005, 04:07 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
Chris,

Walls in HK are very thick so I can only get my laptop as far as halfway into the next room before I lose signal from my D-Link 802.11g router. I will try one of the new NIMO wireless routers but sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just run cables to my laptop and my wife's and  ...

Before buying a new router see if you can find out what kind of materials are used in your walls. Aluminum studs can severeley affect your signal strength.

I have the d-link MIMO router and though it had no problem at my friends 4200sq ft house, in my 100 yr old house with plaster and lath walls I couldn't get more than 18 ft before the drop-outs started.

CornellAlum

SB3 Question...
« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2005, 04:12 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
I would assign a static ip address to your squeezebox. You will need to find out your computers ip configuration. The easiest way is to open the command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes). This will give you the info you need. Write down your computers ip address, the subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.000), your default gateway, and dns server numbers. Now go to the "setup networking" and start the "setup a wireless network" as usual. After it detects your access point you will have the option to en ...

What's my access point?  The router itself?