SB3 Question...

Wayne1

SB3 Question...
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2005, 04:32 pm »
Mark,

DO NOT use the "double speed" 108 connection. The SB3 DOES NOT like this.

I have tried quite a few routers in the past month. My SB2 always connected with no trouble, but a couple of the 4 computers connected to the network would have trouble. Lots of drops. I tried the Linksys WRT54G and the D-Link DGL-4300. Neither was any better than the inexpensive AT&T Router I started with, in this location.

On mgalusha's suggestion, I picked up the Netgear WPN824. This is a MIMO router with multiple antennas inside the case. It looks like some special effect gone bad, with lots of blinking blue lights. But it works. I can now get reception all over my house on 4 levels with NO DROP OUTS. When setting it up, you have to use only 802.11 b & G. DO NOT USE the 108 settings. The SB3 is a 54 kbps device and does not like the packet sharing that the double speed routers use.

I also have 2.4 mHz wireless phones. They do cause some drops from the network when used, but everything always reconnects easily. Some of the 5.8 mHz phone are not "true" 5.8 devices and use 2.4 for transmitting. Some of the Panasonic 5.8 phones have gotten very good comments. They are on the expensive side, however.

When I was modding the first SB3, it would not connect at all to the wireless router but worked fine wired. I went into the router's set-up and disabled the 108 option and it worked fine. I never had any problems with the SB2s on 108, but it is no big deal.

I also suggest you uninstall Slimserver 6.2. and install 6.1.1. There have been some issues with the new revision of the server software. Slim Devices are working on it and I am sure it will be taken care of soon.

You can find 6.1.1 here http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.1.1/

When you set up the SB3, make sure that Slimserver is running and you can see the interface in your browser. Plug in the SB3 and go through the full set-up. By watching the SB3 display you should be able to click through the different screens to connect to your network. You may have to scroll through a few screens to find your network. At first, turn off your security on your router just to make sure you get a connection.

If you cannot get through to slimserver, can you connect to slim network? That is the internet radio network that does not require your computer to run. If you can get on there, then you have traced your problem down to the Slimserver set-up.

I hope this helps a bit.

Other resources would be to look through the faq:
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html
If you don't find an answer there you can:
- send e-mail to support@slimdevices.com
- call 650-210-9400 and press 3 for support (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Pacific)

Tweaker

SB3 Question...
« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2005, 04:57 pm »
The (wireless) access point connects to your router and is what in turn the Squeezebox will connect to. You have to have one if you are going to run wireless and you have a wired router. If you have a wireless router it will have (or should have) the WAP built in.
I can't emphasize enough the importance of assigning static IP addresses to your Squeezebox, WAP, and assign one to your computer as well. Use the same MAC address, DNS server number, and default gateway address, where applicable, for all but give each it's own IP address and you will eliminate a lot of problems and potential problems. The only other hurdle in the way should then be your firewall, if used.
 The only issue with Slimserver 6.2 that I'm aware of that was of any concern involved the volume curve change that affected the sound quality. Disabling the digital volume control in  slimserver/player settings/audio makes it a non issue and should be done anyway for the best sound, unless running direct into an amp. I don't think 6.2 has any issues that  impact connectivity.

mcgsxr

SB3 Question...
« Reply #22 on: 6 Dec 2005, 06:39 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, nice to see a community banding together!

I will try that static IP trick, and see where that goes.

I have never been able to connect to the other service, where the Internet Radio lives, just to my Slimserver.

The house is 9 years old, wood studs, drywall etc - I think it is the ceramic tile (and thus associated skim coat of concrete beneath it...) on the main floor, that is keeping the connectivity problematic - I think that adding a repeater on the main floor might boost the signal enough to get better coverage in the basement.  At present, the best I have seen is 45%, and it usually hovers around 28-35%.