Best sound (so far) with Usher D2s

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 2 Dec 2005, 05:41 pm »
Today I had a chance to drive the D2s with some 25 watt 300B push-pull mono blocs. These are stock Ming-Da units (I recommend staying away from them). Power cords feeding these amps are VH Audio AIRSINE. These are bi-wiring the D2s.
 The preamp is the same higly modified Ming-Da MC-7R with all V-Cap Teflon and OIMP capacitors, redesigned power supply using a Svetlana 5U4 rectifier.
 CD player is my personal Custom modified Jolida JD100 with well over 1000 hours on the V-Caps.

This is the smoothest, most emotionally involving presentation I have heard so far. Listening right now to A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong!!

Many will say that compression drivers can come across a bit strong but I feel mated with the righ gear, tube gear of course, you will not experience this aggression. Rather a very detailed, extended yet involving presentation. Thelower frequencies are also quite impressive with these 25 watts. Tighter than I would have expected.

Next week will be EXtreme Hurricanes on these speakers. This should bring forth some amazing dynamic capabilities that is a bit lacking with 300Bs.

So far, the 300B amp is tied for personal preference along with my custom Reference 3205 which also has several thousand hours on it.

Tubes & Horns ----- nough' said!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2005, 11:05 pm »
Okay, I couldn't wait till next week to hook up some Hurricanes to the D2s. I used the same Signature Plus pair that I have been using the past few days with the Bellas.

Now we are talking concert levels with exceptional low frequency response. What I notice the most is the level of control and information even at the lowest listening levels. Nothing is sacrificed from the presentation. At the extremes, they will obviously play louder than most will be able to listen but even then, the TAD driver remains clean and distortion free.

What do I like better? Can't (won't) say. They are two different flavors for different preferences. I could live with either.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2005, 08:57 pm »
I have had time to play with the setup of the D2s lately. I have also switched the modules around so that the 15" drivers are located closer to the horn. Basically, the ports are now located at the very top and very bottom of the speakers.

This allowed for a much better point-source presentation without any problems with integration of the presentation at the crossover frequencies.

Most of what I want to do was play with the placement of the speakers. I was able to try different placement as well as "toe-in" settings. What I found was that the toe-in settings played a large role in the imaging. As you have seen in my pictures, the speakers were basically facing straight ahead. I now have a toe-in that has the speakers pointing to the listening position which is about 15 ft. to 17 ft. in my room.

This made a huge difference. Now the center image is dead center and the soundstage imaging is very spacious and real. I now have substantial depth and width as well as great vertical and horizontal dispersion.
 Overall, I am greatly impressed with how well these speakers reacted to some standard setup and placement practices.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
$900 4.8 watt Almarro integrated
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:35 pm »
Today was interesting, I just finished installing V-Cap Teflon coupling capacitors in an Almarro 205A (latest version).

The latest version now has 2 sets of inputs, 8 ohm and 16 ohm outputs (switchable) and detatchable power cord.

After bench testing, I decided to do the burn-in on the Usher D2's. I know what you are thinking, a $900 amp connected to $22k speakers but let me tell ya something, this little 4.8 watt amplifier does an amazing job driving these speakers.

Since the D2's are a 4 ohm load, I am using Paul's ZERO-Autoformers at 2x impedance increase so the amp sees an 8 ohm load.

The funny thing is that I am using the VH Audio AIRSINE power cord on this amp.

Anyway, I am very impressed with the sound and even more so with the bass. The vocals are truly inspiring and realistic with the mid-bass hitting you in the chest letting you know just how tight it is.

Is it really that unorthodox to have components within the same system with such a vast price difference? From what I'm hearing, maybe not.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:42 pm »
Bill,

I have seen this type of combination work and I have seen the opposite (expensive electronics and "cheap" speakers") work as well.

I did an experiement a while back in which took my expensive electronics and mated it with my under $1k JM Reynaud Twins MK II speakers.

I was simply amazed at how well those speakers could sound when fed by some high quality gear.  

Would it make me give up my full range speakers?  Nope.

But it does show that it can work.

Another example I witnessed was a small and cheap Quicksilver stereo amp producing some killer sound on a pair of Vandy 5's.

I really need to get up to your place in the Spring for a kickin listening session.

Happy Holidays.

George

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:51 pm »
I'm running $9k speakers with a $1k amp and lovin' it!  To do cheap amps, I think you need efficient speakers.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:53 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
I'm running $9k speakers with a $1k amp and lovin' it!  To do cheap amps, I think you need efficient speakers.

...or powered subs

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:56 pm »
You are absolutely correct George. I think it is more of a mindset sometimes than synergy. I am not saying this is the "best" sound I have heard from the D2's (I really like the 300B's) rather very impressive for a very simple system.

I am finnishing up a very inexpensive pair of Dared 6 watt 300B mono blocs which I will also try out on the D2's when I get them done.

I did an experiement a while back in which took my expensive electronics and mated it with my under $1k JM Reynaud Twins MK II speakers.

Been there, I once drove a pair of <$1k Usher X-718s with a pair of EXtreme Hurricanes.

I really need to get up to your place in the Spring for a kickin listening session.

ANYTIME, I welcome the company.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:09 pm »
George,

I may have to make that trip with you.  I am most intrigued with some of Bill's offerings.  Hi-efficiency and triodes is something I need to experience still.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:13 pm »
I'm running $9k speakers with a $1k amp and lovin' it! To do cheap amps, I think you need efficient speakers.

The D2's are 98dB. I will also try the 3x increase and bring the load up to 16 ohms to see what differences are experienced.
 Later I will hook it up to the Daedalus DA-1 which are 96dB.

I have tried this amp on less effecient speakers in the past. The 88 dB Usher X-718s did not come alive like I know they are capable of.

...or powered subs

Well, we all kow the D2's or the Daedalus do not need subs. The D2s have great bass but I have yet to hear a speaker with the tightness in the lower region as the DA-1s.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:17 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
George,

I may have to make that trip with you.  I am most intrigued with some of Bill's offerings.  Hi-efficiency and triodes is something I need to experience still.

As of the end of February I will be up in MA so we will have to meet there.

We have found a house and agreed upon terms.  Heading up to MA on Friday morning for the inspection.

George

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:19 pm »
That's right, I forgot.  Congrats!  

Well then I can either go alone or go out at the same time.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
The D2s have great bass but I have yet to hear a speaker with the tightness in the lower region as the DA-1s.

I have...   :lol:

I would love to herar the DA-1 in a good room setup.  The only two times I have heard them were at RMAF (where they still sounded darn good!)

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2005, 05:34 pm »
Another day brings about another experience with the Usher D2's. I had a customer drive up from PA the other day to drop of a pair of Welborne Labs DRD 45 mono blocs (i'll post pictures a bit later).

This morning I had to hook them up to the Usher D2's to see what 1.5 watts would do. I have the Usher D2's still running as 8 ohm speakers with the ZERO-Autoformers.

I was quite surprised with the results with only 98dB. In comparison to the Almarro EL84 SET (4.5 watts), the DRD 45s have mush more body and richness with better bass than could possibly be expected from 1.5 watts. There is a noticable difference between the EL84 and 45 tubes, as there should be. This customer also left behind a box of NOS 45 tubes and I am currently running the Sylvania pieces.

The preamp currently in play is a full V-Cap Reference Ming-Da. The noise level in this setup is almost non-existant. Each DRD is plugged in with a VH Audio AIRSINE power cord and a Flavor 4 is used at the preamp and CD player. Empirical Design interconnect is used from preamp to the amps and Audio Note Lexus IC from CD player to pre.

Am I becomming a horn fan............. I think maybe.

Please don't ask me to pick my "favorite" amp with these speakers. I simply cannot do it. Every tube amp I have run into these speakers has provided a special magic of thier own. I can say that the 300B and 45/2A3 sound is currently in top running for low power and probably more so than high power tube amps.

Jon L

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2005, 07:18 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
Another day brings about another experience with the Usher D2's. I had a customer drive up from PA the other day to drop of a pair of Welborne Labs DRD 45 mono blocs (i'll post pictures a bit later).

This morning I had to hook them up to the Usher D2's to see what 1.5 watts would do. I have the Usher D2's still running as 8 ohm speakers with the ZERO-Autoformers.

I was quite surprised with the results with only 98dB. In comparison to the Almarro EL84 SET (4.5 watts), the DRD 45s have mush more body  ...

Bill, if you think Sylvania 45 sounds good and has good bass, you MUST borrow/steal EML 45 solid plates to try.  The amp will sound like it has twice the power subjectively.  

BTW, do you have the latest version of Almarro A205A with headphone output?  I love how this little thing sounds, and I have owned 45SET before.  I would love to hear more about Almarro vs. DRD45...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2005, 09:41 pm »
Bill, if you think Sylvania 45 sounds good and has good bass, you MUST borrow/steal EML 45 solid plates to try. The amp will sound like it has twice the power subjectively.

If the amps were mine, I would play with more tubes. as it stands now, I have a box of tubes to play with and I don't even know what's in there. This customer just dropped them off to me to play with for a few weeks.

BTW, do you have the latest version of Almarro A205A with headphone output? I love how this little thing sounds, and I have owned 45SET before. I would love to hear more about Almarro vs. DRD45...

Yes, I do have the latest version. My comments earlier in this post were on the latest version. But, like the DRD, the Almarro is also a customer's. He purchased from me new and had me install V-Cap coupling capacitors. This amp is going out the door next week. But not before I do some critical listening between the two. There are some very obvious difference between these products and I will write down some thoughts when I have more time. If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask.

Other than the headphone, it now has two sets of inputs and switchable between 8 ohm and 16 ohm output.

I can say the Almarro 205A is a very impressive sub $1k amplifier. In a few weeks, I will be bringing in the Almarro 318 which uses the 6C33 tubes. I really want to play with this amp so having one in the showroom will justify my personal needs as well.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2005, 09:54 pm »
Here is the picture of the system running the DRD 45 mono blocs. You will also notice Usher's very own S-520 sitting atop the D2s for some contrast in size :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2006, 08:56 pm »
Just wanted to show this picture of a pair of custom finished EXtreme Hurricanes driving the D2's.

I recently finished up a pair of Custom finished EXtreme Hurricanes (the red tube amps in the picture) and have been running them with the D2s. The Canes are running in Triode at 120 watts of KT88 power per channel. OH MY!!! Makes you want to offer the artist a glass of whine as you feel they are in your room with you!

robert_b

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:04 pm »
I thought those little s520 there ontop only came in that really reddish birch, is the lighting making them look like that on the pic or is it a different finish?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:11 pm »
I thought those little s520 there ontop only came in that really reddish birch, is the lighting making them look like that on the pic or is it a different finish?

To my knowledge, the S-520 has always been the lighter (natural) Birch finish. I have not come across the reddish finish as you mentioned. The picture (as bad as it is) indicates the true finish of the speaker. The D2s are also available in this finish :D