Best sound (so far) with Usher D2s

robert_b

« Reply #20 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:39 pm »
oh Iv never seen them myself, just it seemed so red on this pic
http://www.responseaudio.com/_borders/usherseries.jpg
and then the pic that is on usher audio homepage (though touched up im sure) was pretty reddish to.

wouldt mind seeing a clearer picture of the center and/or the 520 for how the birch actually looks.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:47 pm »
WOW! Where did you come across this picture. That was from early last year when I had inventory of these speakers.

As far as the Birch goes, even the V Seris I had were the lighter natural Birch. I will get some better PICs this week and post on my website. Keep in mind that these speakers are done in Real Wood Venner.

robert_b

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:58 pm »
google is your friend ;)

ok so all finishes in birch from usher is all same looking, good, the pictures iv seen give the impression that theyr not but thats just lighting playing tricks I guess.

anyway il keep my eye on your website for those pics, thanks =)

LAL

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2006, 08:12 pm »
Bill,

Where is the crossover point on the Usher D2s?   I was wondering what the 15" Usher driver mated to the SP waveguide and tweeter would sound like crossed over around 1000hz. Any thoughts?

LAL

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2006, 09:53 pm »
Where is the crossover point on the Usher D2s? I was wondering what the 15" Usher driver mated to the SP waveguide and tweeter would sound like crossed over around 1000hz. Any thoughts?

The crossover point on the D2 is 760Hz which is far too low for the Waveguide. With the high effeciency of the Usher 15" (95dB), you would not be able to integrate the tweeter. Actually, you would not be able to integrate any dome tweeter with this woofer. The TAD 4001 compression driver is 110dB so it can be attanuated down to the 98dB of the paralleled Usher drivers

LAL

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2006, 10:03 pm »
he crossover point on the D2 is 760Hz which is far too low for the Waveguide. With the high effeciency of the Usher 15" (95dB), you would not be able to integrate the tweeter. Actually, you would not be able to integrate any dome tweeter with this woofer. The TAD 4001 compression driver is 110dB so it can be attanuated down to the 98dB of the paralleled Usher drivers
Several speaker manufacturers use pro 15" drivers with compression tweeters crossed over around 1000hz where the woofer's radiation pattern is about 90 degrees. If the SP wave guide and tweeter are good down to around 1000hz and have a 90 degree radiation pattern I would think the Usher 15" could be brought up to that point. Could not the difference in efficiences between the woofer and tweeter be resolved with an electronic crossover and biamping? I was just thinking that Earl Geddes uses a single 15" pro woofer and compression tweeter with a waveguide for his speaker. Perhaps Response Audio could do something similar and offer it in a kit form at greatly reduced cost.

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2006, 10:34 pm »
If you brought the response of hte 15" up to 1000hz then there would be lobing between the top and bottom woofer.   :(

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:17 am »
he crossover point on the D2 is 760Hz which is far too low for the Waveguide. With the high effeciency of the Usher 15" (95dB), you would not be able to integrate the tweeter. Actually, you would not be able to integrate any dome tweeter with this woofer. The TAD 4001 compression driver is 110dB so it can be attanuated down to the 98dB of the paralleled Usher drivers

The effeciency of the tweeter used in our Bella Waveguide speakers is 96dB so it would still be shy of matching the paralleled 15" woofer without attenuating them also which would not be advisable.

If a similar design was done with a single woofer at 95dB, it would be a very close match. I am not sure it would be worth the effort. The 8" drivers that are currenty matched with the Waveguide is more than suitable for this design.

Usher is developing their own BE compression driver to take the place of the now discontinued TAD-4001. Should be interesting.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2006, 03:21 pm »
Today was yet another listening adventure with the D2s. After a long morning (tire blowout on the way to work), I finally was able to get a pair of ASL Monsoons fired up and running with the D2s.
 Using a Reference Ming-Da MC3 preamp and level 2 Custom Jolida JD100 tube player, I am getting a nice warm, involving presentation.
 The tubes in the Monsoons are the original Valve Art KT88s and 6SN7s with the 6SL7 being a simple Sovtek. Only 4 songs so far but the amps were demo units from another dealer on the West Coast so should be nicely broken in.
 The amps are here for EXtreme mods before heading off to England along with a ModWright preamp. After another week or two of listening, they will hit the benches. After the mods are complete, they will go back into the system for a 2 week burn-in to assure everything is 100% before sending them across the seas. (I like to get about 100 hours on anything going outside the US).

I feel the Monsoons are even better for these speakers than the Hurricanes due to their 98dB. Just seem to be a nice power rating for these speakers.

I do not understand why the Monsoons are not very popular. It would seem that 100 watts of KT88 tube power would fit into many applications.

JoshK

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2006, 03:52 pm »
Are you running them in triode or UL mode?  Its 50wpc in triode right?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2006, 03:57 pm »
The Monsoons are not switchable into triode.  They run 100 watts Pentode.

When I run the Hurricanes into the D2s, I always run them in triode for 120 watts. Actually, with the speakers I have around here right now, I prefer the triode mode.

When the SP Tech speakers arrive, I will go to Pentode.

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2006, 04:03 pm »
maybe that is why they are not more popular.  lots of audiophiles are under the impression that triode is always better than UL.  I haven't always found that to be true.  When I had my Cary V12i, it sounded a lot better in UL for some speakers and better in triode for others.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2006, 04:06 pm »
Maybe what I need to do is find out if the transformers can handle triode opperation and install a triode switch? I would think this would make it more versatile as well as more desirable.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2006, 04:25 pm »
Yes, the Monsoons can be configured to run in Triode. The circuitry is the same for both the Monsoons and the Hurricanes so the switchable conversion should not be too complicated.
 I would guess you would end up with 50-60 watts.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2006, 07:10 pm »
Next up with the D2's will be a pair of Manley Labs MAHI EL84 mono blocs driven by their own Shrimp preamp.
 The MAHIs are also switchable into triode which is where I think they will perform the best with these speakers.
 I'll keep you posted when my Manley stuff comes in.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Best sound (so far) with Usher D2s
« Reply #35 on: 7 Jul 2006, 01:18 am »
 I received word today that my Manley Labs order should ship next week. Here is the system as it will be set-up.

-- Usher D2 Horn speakers
-- Manley Labs MAHI EL84 mono blocs 20 watts Triode / 40 watts UL
-- Manley Labs Shrimp tube preamp
-- Acoustic Solid - Solid Transparent turntable
-- Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge
-- Upgraded Jolida JD9 phono stage (don't underestimate this piece!!!)
-- Response Audio RAM Signature CD25 tube CD player
-- Jolida Level 2 Custom tube CD player
-- VH-Audio AIRSINE power cords - amplifiers
-- VH-Audio Flavor 4 power cords - preamp & CD player
-- Sonoran speaker cable with Micro Bearing to external crossovers
-- SilverFi speaker cable from crossover to TAD-4001 horns
-- SilverFi interconnects
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2006, 01:58 am by Response Audio »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Best sound (so far) with Usher D2s
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2006, 03:24 am »
Okay, the Usher D2 speakers did not leave during our "Flood Sale" so they will be here for a while. My Manley Labs order has arrived and this weekend, the MAHI's will be put into action.

I have been burning in the Shrimp preamp the past few days and I have to say this one of the best <$5k preamps I have heard in a long time. It has been driving a Luminance KST-150 solid state amp which was feeding the D2 speakers (for a customer audition) while the Mahi monos have been sitting in their boxes :cry:

So as it stands, the system mentioned above will be up and running by the beginning of next week.

A few minor changes:

1) I am re terminating the Sonoran speaker cable with WBT bananas.
 2) I am ordering enough Sonoran internal hook-up wire (with Micro Bearing) to hook up all the D2 modules. All the SilverFi cables are being moved to another reference system.
 3) I will have to custom build some 3M interconnect cables to accommodate the new system arrangement as there is now a 51" widescreen sitting between the speakers and the rack has to be moved to the side wall of the room.
 4) I will be custom building new custom crossovers for the D2 speakers.