Danny Suggestions?

Dougie085

Danny Suggestions?
« on: 2 Dec 2005, 02:05 am »
Danny what would be a good diy amp to go with the av3 HT kit? i am insterested in building a chip amp of some sort probably....not sure i would want to do a tube amp im not sure how much you know about this or what youve heard as far as diy amps but thought id ask? lol

Danny Richie

amps
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2005, 04:37 am »
That's a good question. I think the Hypex type might be the best bet and the best place for a deal on a kit would be from Kevin at www.diycable.com

Dougie085

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2005, 04:26 pm »
Hmm yea i looked at those before and they look really nice i was thinking about trying to replace the amps in my Pioneer reciever im not sure how hard that would be lol im not sure it would fit....i might just need to leave it external in another enclosure. The hypex kit uses panasonic caps would it improve if you used sonicaps or are their caps they use really good?

Dougie085

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2005, 11:50 pm »
They only sell the hypex multichannel amps completed not in kit for and its like 1900-2400 bucks....a little more then i was thinking of spending :) lol and i love soldering and stuff when i was in school those were most of my main classes was electronics so i really wanted to build an amp or maybe try and upgrade the amps in my reciever if i could.....not really sure how to go about upgradeing amp components in my reciever..im sure i could replace the caps with high quality ones that would be a start i guess

bubba966

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2005, 11:53 pm »
Kevin's got brand new 2ch kits starting under $500...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=22860

Danny Richie

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2005, 12:22 am »
I think you can buy single channel amp kits pretty cheap. I'll see if I can get Kevin to chime in.

Kevin Haskins

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2005, 01:04 am »
We are currently only offering the kits in the 2-channel version UCD-180s.    After CES I'll work on getting all the parts for the UCD-400 2-channel kit in stock.   I really only need transformers as everthing else is almost identical.    We could offer a single channel one in our chassis but you would only save the price of one module and you would have a rear panel with two inputs and two speaker binding post.  

There isn't much in the way of assembly with these kits.   It's mostly crimping and wiring the power supply, transformer and modules together via crimp-on faston connectors.    The inputs are via a simple slip-on header and you only have to solder to the XLRs, RCAs and the IEC.   The next batch of IECs I order will use faston connectors also and the next batch of XLRs will have screw-down tab so that only leaves soldering on the RCAs.

The problem with offering multichannel kits is that we are now building custom power supplies and getting one-off CNCed rear panels for the multichannel amps.   It's not a simple bolt together operation and the chassis becomes much more cramped with that many modules.  Also.. the UCD400 builds require a fair amount of custom machine work at this time.  We can only build up to five of the UCD400 units in our standard chassis because we run out of real estate with larger builds.   The UCD-180s we can use up to seven in one 2-U chassis.

Once we have a multichannel power supply PCB and we move to the next production run of chassis I'll probably offer the kits in multichannel configuration.   It's going to be several months though because I have to go through my current chassis supply.

Dougie085

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2005, 04:19 pm »
Ok that makes a lot of sence now lol i figured the chassis had to be custom made cause some of those 7 channel amp pics on your site look pretty long. id really like to build the whole amp honestly like soldering in all the components and everything...but these hypex amps look so nice lol but it would take me several months to save up the money for the 7 channel. Anyone know of a good amp kit that comes unbuilt? if not then i'll probably start saving for a hypex amp before too long :)

Kevin Haskins

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2005, 12:37 am »
I don't have a kit but you can build your own Hypex for a reasonable amount of money.  

Here would be a parts break-down.

Seven UCD-180s:  $85ea  x 7 = $595

Twelve 10,000uF caps $70

Rectifiers:  $7

Transformer:  1.2KVA x2 30V secondaries:  $80

Softstart: $70

RCA inputs: $14

Speaker Post: $60

I'll sell you one of our chassis for $150 and I just happen to have an extra rear panel with seven inputs/outputs.

That comes out to just around $1000 for a seven channel digital amp.  You would spend another $20-$50 on misc. wire, connectors etc...

The UCD-180s are good enough for 99% of the speakers out there.   I'm runing a pair at CES in our 2-channel room because the UCD-400 doesn't sound any better than the UCD-180 on the speakers I'm using.

Dougie085

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2005, 05:21 am »
hmm 1000 bucks is reasonable :) lol but i dont know if i could order it any time soon so chances are you wouldnt have the back plate when i get ready to order.....well im not sure how often you get orders for 7 channel amps :) lol whats the power rating on the ucd180 then? just curious i know it doesnt matter much cause usually even 50 watts is more then enough ...well from waht i hear ive never really had anything that low of wattage :) lol ive never had extremely nice speakers either nore efficient ones

Gooch

Danny Suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2005, 02:07 pm »
Check out this site for chip amps there easy to build and sound pretty darn good 35wpc and can be built fairly cheep http://www.chipamp.com/