A picture of the Ridge Street Sason speaker

Carlman

« Reply #40 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:26 am »
DrPhoto,
I think it looks a little flat and possibly a little 'soft' on my monitor.. I think the only reason it looks a little dark is because the background is plain.

I tried sharpening and adding a background... I know it's not better but I figured I'd try to work on it.

I like the shots, the speakers, etc... just trying to be constructive.  Hope it's helpful.

Thanks,
Carl

ctviggen

« Reply #41 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:29 am »
The drivers are very well matched and the speakers are stunning (as are the stands, I must say).

Steve,

How do you like that test CD?  I have it, but I've never listened to those sections of it.

drphoto

« Reply #42 on: 16 Dec 2005, 05:22 am »
Ok...let's try this again. Is this any better? Any advice appreciated.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: A picture of the Ridge Street Sason speaker
« Reply #43 on: 16 Dec 2005, 06:15 am »
Quote from: Marbles
This is the picture from the first page...I think the new picture you just posted looks better....notice more detail in the new photo because of the color contrast.

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #44 on: 16 Dec 2005, 07:39 am »
Hey all.

The Sason is finally up on our website. Still, forgive me for our site. It's still in dire need of updating. My wife has preliminary page layout done which is awesome but she's as busy as I am. Someday it will happen and all in the world will be well again. Meantime, I've grown to enjoy anticipation as much as the accomplishment!

Every Frickin' thing you wanted to know and probably then some...

Sason Ltd. Loudspeaker

ctviggen

« Reply #45 on: 16 Dec 2005, 10:18 am »
Is the beveling on the bottom for any purpose? How about the shape (i.e., does it reduce internal standing waves or just look cool)?  How does the no binding post work?

Marbles

« Reply #46 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:10 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
How does the no binding post work?

They run the internal speaker wire out a slit in the cabinet just below the binding post, and then turn it 90* up into the post.  Then you lay the external speaker cable over the internal and lock the post down.

The internal speaker cable is flat (planar) and my RSA external cable is flat as well.

The Cardas Patented posts are non conductive so all the signal goes from the external to internal cables with nothing in between.

audiojerry

« Reply #47 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:27 pm »
Is this any better?

Yes. Great photos - now stop making me lust!!!  :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #48 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:50 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Is this any better?

Jerry, these speakers have 3 drawbacks.

1. They need to be brought a good ways out into the room
2. They don't play the lowest octave
3. Their price (as appossed to their value ) Not many people have over $5K to invest in speakers

I know that #'s 2 and 3 would not be a problem for you.  If #1 isn't a problem for you, then knowing how much you like the RSA cables and their 3D effect, you would LOVE these speakers.

jackman

« Reply #49 on: 16 Dec 2005, 03:27 pm »
Is this any better?

3. Their price (as appossed to their value ) Not many people have over $5K to invest in speakers

I know that #'s 2 and 3 would not be a problem for you.  If #1 isn't a problem for you, then knowing how much you like the RSA cables and their 3D effect, you would LOVE these speakers.

Hi Marbles,

This is a good thread, I have a couple questions:

* "They need to be brought a good ways out into the room"
In my experience, most speakers sound better pulled out into the room (I use a combo of Audiophysic and Cardas positioning).  Do these speakers require special placement?

*  "They don't play the lowest octave"  
Do any two way monitor speakers really play the lowest octave?  In my experience, ones that claim to play low cannot do it at reference SPL levels.  The little woofer is being asked to do too much.

* "Their price (as appossed to their value ) Not many people have over $5K to invest in speakers"

I haven't heard them so I can't comment on their value.  $5K is a lot to spend on speakers but these are pretty unique.  I guess it's all relative.  Proac Response 2.5's retailed for $4500 ten years ago and the D25's are around $5500.  These are in the same price range and are made of unique material (what is that granite?) so they are in the ballpark.  The Proac site says the D25 can play to 20 hz.  I'd have to see that (or hear it) in person because that's asking a lot of a small woofer.  

I give Steve and Robert a lot of credit for coming out with a unique and good looking design.  Hopefully, I'll have a chance to hear them one of these days.  

Have a Happy Holiday and Merry Christmas (if you celebrate Christmas!) everyone.  I have been following this site for years and feel very fortunate to have met (either on-line or in person) so many great people on Audiocircle.  It's good to see the tradition continue!

J

Marbles

« Reply #50 on: 16 Dec 2005, 04:00 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Hi Marbles,

In my experience, most speakers sound better pulled out into the room (I use a combo of Audiophysic and Cardas positioning).  Do these speakers require special placement?

I beleive they need to be brought out into the room more than most speakers to perform their magic.

miklorsmith

« Reply #51 on: 16 Dec 2005, 04:15 pm »
I'm not in the market currently, but have to comment anyway - these are freakin' BEAUTIFUL.  I bet they sound better with your eyes open!

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #52 on: 16 Dec 2005, 06:31 pm »
Good questions from Ctviggen and Jackman. I'll let Steve take some time and address these questions. Should be this evening.

Meantime....

The Cardas Patented posts are non conductive so all the signal goes from the external to internal cables with nothing in between.

This is true only after we have modified them. Also, not only will our spades work but all spades will work here. As the speakers are, they will not accommodate banana plugs but one can request that as an option. For this option we will soon have the Bananason Ltd. as another model. While Sason means to "Rejoice expressed in dance", Bananason means to "Dance with a happy banana".  :o

audiojerry

« Reply #53 on: 16 Dec 2005, 11:50 pm »
Is this any better?

# 1 would not be a problem for me. That's the way my system is set up. #2 would not be a problem for me.
#3 - I'll be looking for my Xmas present from you (hopefully a check for $3-4k :lol:) My ProAc's cost me well under $2k. Did you see the chip in my cabinet in my photo?

Bananason means to "Dance with a happy banana"

Is this guy kidding? I could suggest what that means, but I'm not goin g there.  :nono:

Hey, Jackman, maybe we could persuade Bob and Steve to demo them for us at a get-together at somebody's home.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #54 on: 17 Dec 2005, 08:05 am »
Robert:
    Bananason means to "Dance with a happy banana".
    [/list:u]
      Audiojerry :[/list:u]
      Is this guy kidding? I could suggest what that means, but I'm not going there.  
      [/list:u]
        What....you never saw a "happy banana"..... :lol: [/list:u]
        Here's one....... :jester: [/list:u]

Marbles

« Reply #55 on: 17 Dec 2005, 04:06 pm »
        If I can get the "Magic" from the Sason's, placing them where I normally place speakers, then I'm positive I'll be dancing with a Happy Banana   :wink:

Robert C. Schult

Answers to Sason Ltd Q's
        « Reply #56 on: 17 Dec 2005, 08:29 pm »
        Some good questions:
        ctviggen

Is the beveling on the bottom for any purpose? How about the shape (i.e., does it reduce internal standing waves or just look cool)? How does the no binding post work?

The Sason Ltds' shape contributes to the 3D imaging and disappearing act. A lot of work has gone into finding the best slant-back angle for proper time alignment between the drivers and ear. The bevels were inspired by the old (now discontinued) Artemis Eos monitor and the technology behind the F-117A Nighthawk stealth fighter/bomber. The bevels on the bottom are simply a design feature to balance the proportions a bit. They add interest and impart a more pleasing profile.

To add to what Marbles said, the typical Cardas arrangement uses the metal "locator" as the conductor. We modify the assembly so that the "locator" (ie, the spade post) is non-conducting. When one talks of a post as being great because it is "low mass" it means the conductor is minimal in size, which improves the electron flow over a "high mass" conductor that is not optimum for efficient electron flow. OURS IS BEST - Zero mass - no conductor between cable spades and crossover leads is present. This improves pace, rhythm, timing, and transparency.

jackman

Hi Marbles,

In my experience, most speakers sound better pulled out into the room (I use a combo of Audiophysic and Cardas positioning). Do these speakers require special placement?

* "They don't play the lowest octave"
        Do any two way monitor speakers really play the lowest octave? In my experience, ones that claim to play low cannot do it at reference SPL levels. The little woofer is being asked to do too much.

* "Their price (as appossed to their value ) Not many people have over $5K to invest in speakers"

I haven't heard them so I can't comment on their value. $5K is a lot to spend on speakers but these are pretty unique. I guess it's all relative. Proac Response 2.5's retailed for $4500 ten years ago and the D25's are around $5500. These are in the same price range and are made of unique material (what is that granite?) so they are in the ballpark. The Proac site says the D25 can play to 20 hz. I'd have to see that (or hear it) in person because that's asking a lot of a small woofer.

The Sasons are very precise in their imaging and soundstaging and so they will drive you on to find their upmost best location in the room. Since the magic is already baked into them, they will sound incredible positioned as close as two-three feet from the back of the Sasons to the wall. Their addictive soundstaging and their open midrange will be maximized out in the room.

I agree with your assessment about some two-ways being overtaxed by trying to cover 25 Hz - ? crossover freq. I have consciously designed a two-way that represents the most bass, and no more, currently available in a small woofer that shines in the lowest distortion and transparency in the upper midrange. And it had to play bass loudly and very cleanly, which the Sasons do.

I remember when I dreamed of owning Spica TC-50's when the Quad 63's were just too far out of reach to lust after. I eventually owned and enjoyed the Spicas. I knew the Quads were still "the shit", but I was happy to own those TC-50's. If one is able to afford Peak Consult Incognitos, or Kharma Ceramique 3.2 Monitors, they will no doubt find the Ridge Street Sason Ltd a steal. If one is in the market for a $4k-$5k loudspeaker, they should include these on their list to audition. SAYS ME!

So, yes, price is relative!

Steve Rothermel
        Ridge Street Audio Designs

DeanSheen

« Reply #57 on: 18 Dec 2005, 01:09 am »
        A very intriguing design.  I like the cabinet material and especially marbles imagining comments as I am hooked on that aspect of speaker design because it plays into a decent percentage of the music I listen to.

5k is out of reach at present, but I will be looking for these at RMAF 06 if not sooner.  Being in Ohio, I may be tempted to visit world headquarters.

*Nice pics DR!  They all look fine on my laptop.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
        « Reply #58 on: 18 Dec 2005, 06:51 am »
        Let me know when you wanna ditch those crummy old Salks, Marbles. :wink:  8)

jermmd

« Reply #59 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:27 am »
        Quote from: Rob Babcock
        Let me know when you wanna ditch those crummy old Salks, Marbles. :wink:  8)

I was thinking the same thing!