December 4 Jam in Flower Mound (north of DFW airport)?

Hoots

I have an open day on Sunday December 4.  A good window seems between 11am and 4pm.

Let me know the interest, what times might work best and if anyone has any gear they might want to bring.

In terms of focus that is really a function of what gear is available.  Sources could be fun and easy if anyone has any to bring.  I have a P1A w/SOCS and the DAC in my Emotiva.   It would be interesting to hear how other source options compare.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1.  I would like to gather listening observations and improvement recommendations on room acoustic treatment for my room.

2. I would like to get feedback on the addition of my P1A w/SOCS for Ref 3 vs my Denon 2900 directly to my Emotiva pre/pro (and DAC).

3. I'm always interested in hearing different speakers--especially in my room but I'm not sure if anyone wants to go through the hassle of hauling them over.

4. I am interested in what improvements a tube pre-amp could make with my Ref 3's vs using my pre/pro.  I have read that the tube sweetness combined with my powerful SS amps makes a good combo.

5. I would be especially interested in hearing one of Danny's sub combos if anyone has made one and feels it could be transported.   I need to upgrade my sub and I'd like to use it for both music and movies.

6.  I need to buy a power conditioner so if Brian brings his that would be of interest.

Here is what I have:

Onix Ref 3, Ref 2 (surrounds), Ref 1 (rear surrounds), Ref 100 center
CSW PS1 subwoofer
Emotiva pre/pro and 7-channel amp
Denon 2900 universal player
P1A w/SOCS for Ref 3
MMF-5 TT
Comcast HD tuner w/DVR
HP Media Center PC w/MCE 2005
Xbox 360 (pre-order for Nov 22 arrival)

a couple thousand rock lps, about 500 CDs, a few Jazz SACDs

We could have lunch out by the pool weather permitting (or inside).  If after lunch then munchies and drinks.   Depending on the count I will post what help is needed for food.

Since I have a lot of AV123 gear I will post an invite on their forum.  There should be interest in hearing the Ref 3 w/SOCs.

brj

Re: December 4 Jam in Flower Mound (north of DFW airport)?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2005, 12:21 am »
Quote from: Hoots
I have an open day on Sunday December 4.  A good window seems between 11am and 4pm.

Thanks for the offer to host, Hoots!  It is most generous of you!

I think I can make that date, but I'll have to check on some travel arrangements at work.  Consider my attendance likely at this point. with absolute confirmation coming in the next week.

Sources could be fun and easy if anyone has any to bring.  I have a P1A w/SOCS and the DAC in my Emotiva.   It would be interesting to hear how other source options compare.

I have to admit that I'd like to hear just how much of an effect SOCS has on a system.

6. I need to buy a power conditioner so if Brian brings his that would be of interest.

Done!  One BPT 3.5 Signature scheduled for travel...

I forgot that you had a media PC.  I'll be curious to know what you think if it as a source compared to the more traditional sources you've heard.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:14 am »
I'll see if I can make it down for that one. I'll have some vary fun and vary cool new stuff to share, including a new line of DAC's.

4. I am interested in what improvements a tube pre-amp could make with my Ref 3's vs using my pre/pro. I have read that the tube sweetness combined with my powerful SS amps makes a good combo.

I have an idea or two for you in that regard.  :mrgreen:

5. I would be especially interested in hearing one of Danny's sub combos if anyone has made one and feels it could be transported.

I don't have a demo unit in the house right now, but I'll see what I can do.

6. I need to buy a power conditioner so if Brian brings his that would be of interest.

I just added one to my system and plan to add another. I will never take it out of my system. It made to big of an improvement.

I have one of these.

We let a BPT dealer try one out at the RMAF. He also A/Bed it to a Walker unit. To make a it a short story, he kept it for the whole show and mentioned dropping the BPT line in favor of these units.

Gary has a 1200 watt unit and a 800 watt unit. Cryo treated sockets too. Separate filtering for each group and the Digital is separate from the analog. They are also not expensive.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:41 am »
Quote from: Danny
I'll see if I can make it down for that one. I'll have some vary fun and vary cool new stuff to share, including a new line of DAC's.

Follow-up threads started in Danny's forum regarding the new line of DACs and the new Dodd power conditioners.  (I'm curious about them both, but didn't want to divert this thread too much for the sake of Hoot's ability to use it to prepare his jam.)

If you can bring the Dodd power conditioner, please do!  I'm curious to know if I can hear a difference between it and the BPT.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2005, 07:14 pm »
You will be able to hear a difference. The BPT colors the bass and mid frequencies, the DODD does nothing to the sonics! It has been A/B'd before to the BPT. Those were the results. I have 2 dealers that have let BPT go and they picked up the DODD. I have it in 2 models 800 watts and 1500 watts. Very reasonable pricing. :D  :D
Gary

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2005, 04:29 pm »
I think I can make this date.  Let me know what food or otherwise I can help out with.  As far as gear, I can bring my Cary 303/300 CDP or 500W SS Mono's, let me know if I need to lug them or if we have enough.  I also have an assortment of different IC's and speaker cables.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2005, 01:23 am »
I think I can make it that weekend.  Count me in.   :D

I'd like to listen to some tube-preamps if anyone has any.   :wink:

brj

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2005, 08:22 am »
I met Stan Tracht of Usher today.  He indicated that we might be able to borrow a custom pair of monitors that were designed and owned by Joe D'Appolito.  Let me know if there is any interest in these, and we'll see what can be arranged.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2005, 09:40 pm »
count me in, i might not have the dodd entry level pre as it is in the shop but i do have an onix a120 mk2 integrated amp we can try out.

marvin

p.s. does stan still have the belles 350a reference power amp?

Hoots

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2005, 02:44 am »
I'm interested in hearing the Ushers, but note that I don't have any stands.  I'll be sending out some instructions on my location along with more details.

Carl V

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2005, 09:10 pm »
Is the Get together still on for next weekend?

I'd like to make the trip down from Oklahoma and hear some of the gear.

Thanks
carl

Hoots

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2005, 11:22 pm »
YES!  I will still be hosting the GTG.  I guess I need to refine some of the details later tonight and Monday.

Hoots

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2005, 12:25 am »
The Jam is a go.  

I would like to get an estimate of the attendance so I can plan:

1. are you bringing any gear?  There were some exciting comments mentioned already.

2. would you like to have lunch?  I thought I would have open house from 11-4.  Some may choose just a portion of the time.   If you want to be here for lunch let me know.  We could get BBQ, Pizza, subs, whatever.  If you would prefer to arrive after lunch then snacks would be enough.

The main listening room is upstairs but I have a kitchen and family room with 50" TV for during lunch.  I can also setup a system downstairs that is pretty isolated from upstairs if we want two systems.  Last time I had MLS over for the AV123 GTG he played SOCS with the Ref 1 and Melody amp downstairs which worked out well as folks moved between two rooms.

I can send you my address.   Please email me at ken.h.johnson@hp.com

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:49 pm »
Hey Hoot,

Get me some directions and I'll make the drive down there. I probably can't get there until about 12 o'clock though.

I'll bring some new goodies along including the Dodd Balanced power supply.

How big or small is your listening room?

brj

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2005, 07:22 pm »
Wow... go away for a week and a half, and you have a lot to catch up on here at AC!

The Jam is a go.

Thanks, Hoots!

1. are you bringing any gear?

Yes.  I'll bring my BPT 3.5 Signature power conditioner.

I bought the BPT used for a fantastic price, so I suspect that I could easily sell it for what I paid.  If the Dodd actually equals or betters it while providing similar capacity, and can do so at a lower cost, I'd happily pocket the difference in price.  Of course, I'm wondering also how resolving a system has to be before you can even appreciate a potential difference in something like power conditioners (much less power cords).

2. would you like to have lunch?  I thought I would have open house from 11-4.  Some may choose just a portion of the time.   If you want to be here for lunch let me know.  We could get BBQ, Pizza, subs, whatever.  If you would prefer to arrive after lunch then snacks would be enough.

Those times work for me, so lunch sounds like a good idea if you are willing.  I'm no gourmet, but can I bring anything to help out?

I can also setup a system downstairs that is pretty isolated from upstairs if we want two systems.

What, no dueling volume controls? :)

Your setup and plans sounds great, Hoots.  We always seem to have more gear than we can evaluate fairly in the given time, so two rooms really helps out.

I'll shoot you an email shortly in order to get directions - thanks!

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2005, 03:04 pm »
Hoots,
You should post some directions :(  for those who are coming, but don't know how to get there. I am planning on coming and am bringing some friends, probably 3 and myself for sure. It will be around noon or so. I will be bringing a ref pre for you to listem to in your system. I believe Danny is going to bring a balanced power supply as well. Anyway see you sometime tomorrow.
Gary :D

Hoots

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2005, 03:14 pm »
Address:

Carl V

« Reply #17 on: 3 Dec 2005, 09:02 pm »
I'll be coming down from OKC
I'll be shooting for a noon time arrival +/-

thanks

Carl V

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2005, 02:57 am »
Thank you Ken for  your generousity & Hospitality.

If you can remember the Group fomr your AV123
sampler I'd appreciate it.  It was about #12-Foreplay???

Again a wonderful time & a wonderful system.

thanks
carl

Hoots

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2005, 04:16 am »
I really enjoyed the Jam today.  It was especially interesting to hear new products in my system.   It seems the following would be upgrades:

Top upgrades:
* room treatment for pitched side walls
* tube-pre (Dodd Audio reference pre w/HT pass-through to my Emotiva pre/pro).  I was impressed with the improvement in sound over just the pre/pro.
* DAC - the DAC Danny brought was another impressive upgrade I got to hear.
* Sub-woofer --- for deeper bass that blends well with my mains:  IB? Kit? ACI Maestro?  UFW-12?  SVS? etc.?  We didn't hear subs today.

Other upgrades (not the focus today)
* interconnects
* power conditioner (I ordered the $149 sale priced PF40 for short term)

I thought my PC sounded the same as my Denon 2900 when using digital out to a DAC.   The PC is a REVO card w/winamp & Meedio using ASIO.  

Now the question is which upgrade to buy first?  

I thank everyone for coming.  I really appreciated the tests and the suggestions on my room and system.  

I will lookup the sample track name.