Loanwolf's RWA TEAC...A Progress Report

TheChairGuy

« on: 1 Nov 2005, 09:45 pm »
I suspect my hearing is about average - I just love music.  But, I am surprised I am not hearing perceptible changes in the character of the Vinnie's SLA-modded TEAC yet.

But, I realized, the normal course of action for new AC-powered gear has always been - set it and forget it.  Turn your tuner on and visit the component 10 days later to hear it.  At 6-8 hours per day...the wee TEAC probably doesn't have but 80-95 hours on it yet (it arrived with 20 or so on it from the RMAF).  It sounded good, and powerful for 30 watts, out of the box - that is still my impression of it.

It mates other worldly with my 2 way, modestly efficient Linaeums - some of the best music I've heard in my room.  And, that is paired with a Dynaco PAS-4 preamp...which paired with every other amp and speakers, sounded like every bad tube component I've ever encountered.  With the TEAC, you really start to wonder if paying more for another tube preamp gets you any more smiles  :)

Although it can drive the Maggie MMG's to deafening levels, I think it is driving them less well then the previous 100 watt JVC F10 receiver.  Of course, that might change in 200+ hours, but my opinion now is that 30 watts, as mightly as the TEAC is, can't do the watt and amperage hoggish Maggies full measure.

There is a measure of ease and spaciousness the amp has that is not the character of the stock TEAC (even with center channel removed, hooked up to Balanced Power, with shielded IC's and RFI rejection tweek to power cord).  It is still 'beamy' and thin where the modded Teac (even at 80 hours) is mo' betta'  :wink:

At $600 for the TEAC and mods, in a small listening environment with typical cone speakers...you have yourself a fantastic treat for the senses. More to come over time I'm sure.

DeadFish

« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2005, 11:48 pm »
Hey there, Chair Guy,

Yah, it takes a bit of conscious effort with the battery Teac, knowing you have to remember to turn it off for a while for a recharge.  
I kept a notepad up by mine to give me some idea of where I was at on the break-in trail.  
Well, until I lost track of it.... :wink:
I'm figuring I'm at about 175 hours or so only, as I have to schedule me time regularly to get up to my musical attic, as opposed to getting burnt on teevee in the living room and just switching to music.

Your experience with the Maggies is reminiscent of mine with my 19's and the Amp3 I sampled for a couple of months.  Although the Amp3 powered the Altecs nicely, ulitmately they really hungered for more, which the Teac definitely provides.  I'm still happy with that matchup.  
Then again, when Steve K brought some of his VTL's over with 3 times the power and more, the 19s didn't have any problem gobbling that up either.
I'm definitely not complaining with what I've got though.  8)

Thanks for the update and thoughts; hang in there, "we're all pulling for you."   :D

Regards,
DeadFish

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2005, 01:15 am »
Sounds good John.  These days i'm almost (ALMOST) wanting to get rid of my MG12's.  I'm wondering how the teac would do with Omega speakers or even the onix reference 1.  I really don't want to get rid of the magnepans, but i might just keep them simply because i'm in love with those things.  I had some dude the other day at the sony store tell me that my "flat panels wont give you the full musical experience, try these on for size (points to sony ss-k30ed speakers) kevlar cone and a badass tweeter, they will embarass your flat panels".  I wanted to thrash the dude ;).

But shiet, i haven't even gotten my amp yet and i'm starting to think about a new system.  Man......... this whole upgradeitus thing is owning me.  :(  Straley cables are my next investment! yippee!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2005, 05:27 am »
Thanks John.... :thumb:
    Chris[/list:u]

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Loanwolf's RWA TEAC...A Progress Report
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2005, 11:09 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
There is a measure of ease and spaciousness the amp has that is not the character of the stock TEAC ...

TCG,

Thanks for keep us posted!  :drums:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2005, 03:27 am »
It was a particularly dreadful day listening to the TEAC today.....those Blackgates were so unpleasant.

Fortunately, this is my 4th piece of equipment in the past few years that I have broken in with BlackGates...those are some nasty caps periodically until you get 250-300 hours in on them. Horrible, nasty, bleech....no matter that it was vinyl or CD today.

S-C-R-E-E-C-H like fingernails on a chalkboard today...about hour 110  or so.  

The means generally justify the end in the case of Blackgates, tho  :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2005, 03:33 am »
Additionally....I am getting 10 hours of listening time in on the amp with each session.  

I don't let it go any longer than this so the SLA batteries might well have more juice left for me.....but I dare not incur Vincenzo's Italian wrath in playing them longer than this.  He already strongly suggested 6-8 hours maximum.

Having been shacked up to a half Sicilian/half Napolitano lady for the past 13 years.......I've learned not to press certain issues....lest I wake up with a horse's head in my bed  :lol:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2005, 11:43 am »
Additionally....I am getting 10 hours of listening time in on the amp with each session.  

I don't let it go any longer than this so the SLA batteries might well have more juice left for me.....but I dare not incur Vincenzo's Italian wrath in playing them longer than this.  He already strongly suggested 6-8 hours maximum.

Having been shacked up to a half Sicilian/half Napolitano lady for the past 13 years.......I've learned not to press certain issues....lest I wake up with a horse's head in my bed  :lol:

TCG,

"Never go against the family"

LonewolfNY42 made you an offer you couldn't refuse.  

"Hey, whataya gonna do, nice college boy, eh? Didn't want to get mixed up in the Family business, huh?"

8)   :mrgreen:

audiojerry

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2005, 01:14 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Does the modded Teac have the option of running on AC with a wall wart for burn-in purposes? This would allow 24/7 burn-in until the Black Gates are broken in.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2005, 01:31 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Thanks for the update.

Does the modded Teac have the option of running on AC with a wall wart for burn-in purposes? This would allow 24/7 burn-in until the Black Gates are broken in.

Hi audiojerry,

The RWA Teac only runs off of SLA battery power, not AC.  

Regards,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2005, 05:19 am »
Whew, nasty stretch somewhere around 125 hours with Blackgates...reminded me of an old girlfriend when she was PMS'ing; nasty and abrasive  :lol:

Mostly passed it now at hour 140 or so. The bass seems to be fleshing out a bit better now.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2005, 10:59 pm »
Sorry Lonewolf, but this cracks me up.  For the 2nd time in recent days your name has been spelled "Loanwolf".

Hasn't anyone else noticed?  Freudian slip?

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2005, 11:21 pm »
Quote from: JLM
Sorry Lonewolf, but this cracks me up.  For the 2nd time in recent days your name has been spelled "Loanwolf".

It should be "Loanwolf"  he just sent me his Modwright pre....  :o

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2005, 01:48 am »
Quote from: JLM

The guy's have it right JLM.
    When there's equipement on loan....its
"Loanwolf"....a name I can credit to Carlman.... :lol: [/list:u]

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2005, 10:58 am »
LW,

I was thinking you were going in debt to buy equipment.   :oops:

TCG,

I tried a 100 wpc JVC digital receiver and found it subjectively less powerful than my 6 wpc Clari-T at normal listening levels (80 dB) with my 89 dB/w/m speakers (perhaps due to the dynamic punch battery power can provide).  Ultimately however the JVC would probably go louder.  Those Maggies do suck hard on the juice so I understand why you need the additional 6 dB of gain over the Teac.

Digital amps seem to measure conservatively compared to solid state and even tube amps.  The output and control of tube amps don't compare with my Clari-T until the power rating doubles.  From all accounts the Teac, especially in battery form, should behave similarly.

With my speakers, 2,000 cu. ft. room, nearfield setup, and taste in music/volume levels the Clari-T does a remarkably good job at providing control of the speaker with great quality.  But 5 seconds with a stock Teac was enough to fully convince me that the additional 6 dB of gain would be hugely beneficial.  It reminded me of what 8 inch drivers in transmission lines are capable of (deep, tight, fast, thundering bass).  It transformed my speakers from slumbering houseguests into a hard hitting NFL linebackers.  None of the amps I'd tried (including a Cary SuperAmp, 100 wpc JVC digital receiver, or 100 wpc Rotel) did anything like that for my speakers.

IMO a speaker/amp pairing must be able to reach at least 100 dB peak levels in a given room.  I know this doesn't seem like much of a goal, but my spl meter has proven to me how very loud 100 dB is.  My Bob Brines FTA-2000 speakers with the Clari-T doesn't quite reach it, but the Teac does.  

BTW, a public service announcement:  Continued exposure to 85 dB or more will result in permanent hearing loss and possible permanent pain.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2005, 06:07 pm »
Wow, at about hour 200 now and this wee TEAC is making some really nice music now.

Things that had escaped me previously are being revealed in recordings. I really can tell recording quality differences in CD's now....that detail escaped my on other amplificers used.  There is something very pure about escaping AC power for DC.....despite all the efforts to evade AC pollution (balanced power, dedicted outlets, cryo'ed outlests, power cords, RFI/EMI cloths and all the rest).  Using only direct current seems most benficial for audible results.  

The Dynaco PAS-4 was retubed with some 6n1p's in the linestage, and coupled with further BlackGate break-in, things are going swimmingly good right now.  The Linaeums are making soaring and beautiful treble sounds...among the best I've personally been around. There is enough bass to satisfy, as well...and it's tight and tuneful.  

The urge to play louder, always a good sign, has never been more prevalent in my listening sessions  :D

WolfyChris, another 50 hours and you should be demanding to have this sent to you in NY...it is a truly enjoyable amp now.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2005, 03:58 am »
The Chair Guy :
    The urge to play louder, always a good sign, has never been more prevalent in my listening sessions....  

WolfyChris, another 50 hours and you should be demanding to have this sent to you in NY...it is a truly enjoyable amp now.
    [/list:u]
      Turn it up John...your right...thats a good sign !!! :rock: [/list:u]
        Glad your enjoying it :D ....when you've had your fill, let me know, and I'll tell you who to send it to. Right now, I don't have much time for listening....its busy...7 days a week. Thanks for your comments !!! :thumb: [/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2005, 11:29 am »
    Wow, at about hour 200 now and this wee TEAC is making some really nice music now.

Things that had escaped me previously are being revealed in recordings. I really can tell recording quality differences in CD's now....that detail escaped my on other amplificers used.  There is something very pure about escaping AC power for DC.....despite all the efforts to evade AC pollution (balanced power, dedicted outlets, cryo'ed outlests, power cords, RFI/EMI cloths and all the rest).  Using only direct current see ...

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your 200-hour impressions.  Now comes the fun part...enjoying the music!  8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2005, 05:28 pm »
    The TEAC is on it's way it's next to AudioJerry in WI.

I got a good 250 hours on it (if not a little more)

It is a remarkably silent running amp...the in-between 'blackness' in songs was spooky different and excellent. It made my hairs (where they still are  :( ) stand up on end at times.

Sure, it will power Maggies without thermal shutdown....but was weak-kneed powering it.  It was far better overall and made a nicer portrayal of things than the 150watt AudioSource Amp3 did a year ago.  So, raw wattage isn't the full story.

It was a much better match for the 2 way Linaeum Towers I have.  The treble sounds that the excllent Linaeum tweeter made with the RWA TEAC was crystalline - really, really pleasant.  Overall, it didn't feel it drove the speakers overall to full splendor.  It didn't have the transient snap and bass output I need to move me.

The Linaeums tweeter modules, it has been said, require a bit more power to distinguish itself than many tweeters.  The woofer are rather ordinary 6" Peerless units - perfectly functional and cheap and excellent sounding (when you damp the entire interior and basket with Plast-i-Clay)

I'm not sure why - I admit to not being a very astute or detailed listener.  I think I'm more mid-fi guy in my musical tastes. I almost never hear the phenomenom of 'imaging' and really can't tell what is upper midrange from middle mid-range....or anything else that is lower, middle or higher in what I listen to.  I listen for dynamics, bass snap, and whether I want to listen more or less to it.

I have found that the refined Class D architecture as found in Tripath and JVC gear is my cup o' tea.....it's available at very appealling prices and it does what I need.  But the TEAC, with only 30 watts on tap (and probably limited in important current output) in either stock or Red Wine Audio modded guise,  just isn't enough to do duty here.  As so many of you have found, I think it best suited to single drivers or perhaps it's many virtues are lost on these plebian ears.  I really am being honest here...I don't think I am refined in my listening skills...and some of the beauty that this TEAC provides IS probably lost on me.  Truly, scouts honor that I believe this  :)

Vinnie, would some of the 'snap' I felt was missing here be ameliorated by a change to a different output inductor (as was mentioned a few weeks ago)? Or, powered by a larger capacity SLA battery with more energy reserves?

Alternatively, is it possible to power the 100watt Tripath chip (like Bel Canto's) with battery power?  Will it require something more akin to a car battery with far more capacity and 'cranking' amps to drive it?

Vinnie or anyone else - PUH-LEASE don't think I'm crappin' on your fun here with the TEAC. So much of this hobby is subjective.  I really thought the RWA TEAC had some great attributes...and not to be overlooked is Vinnie's hard work, honesty, innovation and straight-shooting that's been a boon to Audio Circle since he arrived.

Once again, my deepest thanks go out to Loanwolf Chris for this extended listen.

polishpowerlifter

Dude...
    « Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2005, 05:44 pm »
    Hey its all subjective ,some guys like  skinny chicks some like chubby, some guys like ...well forget that...you get the picture

the old saying 3 things NOT to talk about

sex

religion and

politics...

well audio is a close 4th... as opinionated...and everone has there own tastes....and thanks for sharing and being honest....we're over-analytical were missing the whole point of listening to music...The FUN of it.
     :wink:
    Every audio enthusiasts  should invest in bi-annual ear exams with regular cleanings and Qtips as much as cables and tweaks as far as i am concerned. :lol: