Exodus Subwoofers

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Exodus Subwoofers
« on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:03 am »
The new line of subwoofers is about to release.   We have stock but we are waiting on magnet boots and some packaging before these start shipping.

The value series subs are the Exodus CX Series subwoofers.   The CX Series while representing our value line are about equal to most companies premium products.   The CX Series was based around T/S parameters which make them perfect for sealed and ported systems.   We basically started with the old Adire Audio Shiva (CX-12) and Tempest (CX-15) parameters and added the Adire Audio XBL^2 motor technology and increased the available linear excursion out to 18mm one-way.    We also upgraded them with a four spoke cast basket and some premium suspension components.   We told Mr. Wiggins to pull out the stops and spare no expense.  

Preliminary parameters on the CX-12:

Fs: 19.8 Hz
Qts: 0.40
Qms: 8.02
Qes: 0.421
Vas: 146.8L
EBP: 47.1
Sd: 460 cm^2
Xmax: 18.67mm
Vd: 1717.6 cm^3
Xmech: 26mm
SPL: 86.2 db
Re: 2.89
Le: 1.71mH

Here is the CX-15 which has the same motor but obviously more surface area.   The parameters for these where modeled after the Adire Audio Tempest.  We figured there was no reason to mess with success as the Tempest/Shiva had a great set of parameters.  

Fs: 17.5 Hz
Qts: 0.403
Qms: 11.37
Qes: 0.418
Vas: 320.5L
EBP: 47.1
Sd: 760 cm^2
Xmax: 19.02mm
Vd: 2890.6 cm^3
Xmech: 25.75mm
SPL: 88.0 db
Re: 3.04
Le: 4.63mH

Dirty Harry

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:07 am »
Kevin, how are these for drop in replacements (Shiva)?  Have you had it in a Rava sized box?  Results?
Thanks,

Kevin P

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:23 am »
Quote from: Dirty Harry
Kevin, how are these for drop in replacements (Shiva)?  Have you had it in a Rava sized box?  Results?
Thanks,

We designed them to be a drop-in replacement so no problem.  They won't even require any more power than the Shiva did so you don't need a different amp.

I've been spending my time wailing on them to make sure they won't break.    I've tested each model at full excursion in free air with a sine wave for 30 minutes continuous to make sure the suspension is up to handling abuse.

Kevin P

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2005, 01:32 am »
Oh.... I should mention the EX Series also.   I don't have pictures yet but they look identical to the CX Series with the exception of a slightly deeper motor.  

The EX-12 is designed to fit the exact same enclosures as the CX-12 but it has an extra 16mm of p-p excursion.   Works great in a ported 3ft^3 cabinet for reference levels from 20Hz and up.

The EX-12 Parameters:

Fs: 20 Hz
Qms: 11.33
Qes: 0.435
Qts: 0.418
Vas: 73.4
EBP: 46.2
Sd: 460cm^2
Xmax: 25.65mm one-way
Vd: 2360 cm^3
SPL: 83db
Xmech: 37.75mm one-way
Re: 3.47 Ohms

The EX-15 is follows the same concept as the EX-12.   The parameters are such that it can be used in the same size enclosures as the CX-15 yet it has more excursion.

Parameters on the EX-15:

Fs: 18.6Hz
Qms: 12.19
Qes: 0.468
Qts: 0.451
Vas: 200.3L
EBP: 39.9
Sd: 760cm^2
Xmax: 26.65mm
Vd: 3899.4 cm^3
SPL: 86.3db
Xmech: 37.75mm
Re: 3.47 Ohms

Prices are still not set in stone.   I'm waiting on final pricing for the magnet boots and packaging.  

Estimated prices:

CX-12    $165
CX-15    $185
EX-12     $275
EX-15     $299

bald

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2005, 04:16 am »
This may be a stupid question, but where do these fall in comparison to the new adire brahma/koda/tumult drivers that are obviously much more expensive. Completely different drivers or are they rebadged/same basic design modded. Some of the specs seem similar, some seem better, others 'worse.'

One spec that is decidedly better here is the price. Some guide as to where they fall in terms of performance would be much appreciated.

bald

Kevin P

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:26 pm »
Quote from: bald
This may be a stupid question, but where do these fall in comparison to the new adire brahma/koda/tumult drivers that are obviously much more expensive. Completely different drivers or are they rebadged/same basic design modded. Some of the specs seem similar, some seem better, others 'worse.'

One spec that is decidedly better here is the price. Some guide as to where they fall in terms of performance would be much appreciated.

bald

The motors are pretty much identical.   The CX line is most like the Koda.   The parameters differ simply because we aimed for different applications.   Adire is aiming mainly at mobile audio applications so their parameters are optimized for smaller boxes and the needs of that market.  We needed softer suspensions that would work in larger boxes and go deeper.   The CX line also uses a different four spoke aluminum basket which doesn't change performance, just looks.  

The EX line is most like the Brahma motor.   Once again our designs use softer susupensions for home audio applications where larger boxes and more extension is needed.  

In terms of pricing our distribution model is different that Adire's.   We sell direct to consumers rather than through brick and mortar dealers.   That is the largest reason for the price delta.

bald

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2005, 05:03 pm »
Wow, my initial reaction is that these are very price/performance competitive for home applications.

I don't suppose there are any plans to do a similar thing to the new tumult? ;-)

In any event, these are pretty attractive.

bald

kfr01

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2005, 06:19 pm »
Kevin:  

I'm very excited about these.  Looks like my next project will be a subwoofer.  :-)

kfr01

Milehighguy

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2005, 06:21 pm »
These speakers look like winners to me, especially the attractive pricing. I think that something that would increase sales would be to supply some different design options for enclosures for the consumer to build, like adire does for the tempest speaker.

ABlakeG

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:28 am »
What is the rec'd sealed and ported boxes for the EX-15? I am wondering if they will work well in the sub cabinet arrays that RAW has designed for the GR-Research sub drivers? The compartments are 2.4cuft each, and they use a PR. Just wondering, as these would have quite a bit more output than the GRs, at a corresponding price increase.

Blake

Brian Bunge

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2005, 02:43 am »
Blake,

I'm pretty sure 2.5ft^3 enclosures are far too small for a ported or PR'd enclosure for a 15" driver.  I'll run some sims and post back in a few minutes.

Brian Bunge

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2005, 03:35 am »
OK, I ran some sims on the EX-12 and EX-15.  Just based on the specs, I really like the EX-12 in a 2.5ft^3 sealed enclosure with a pound or so of polyfill.  This should give you a Qtc around .6, which I really like for music while still giving good slam for movies.  It should be 3dB down at 33Hz and 6dB down at 23Hz.  In room I'd expect it to be pretty flat into the lower 20's.  Ported I like 3ft^3 tuned to 18Hz with a pound or two of polyfill.  This should be 3dB down around 19Hz.

For the EX-15, I like 150L (5.3ft^3) sealed and heavily stuffed (around 3-4lbs.).  This should give you a Qtc around .64 with an F3 of 30Hz and an F6 of 21Hz.  This should be VERY flat in room.  Ported I like 250L (8.8ft^3) tuned to 16Hz and heavily stuffed.  It should have an F3 of 17.5Hz.

This may differ from Kevin's recommendations, especially since he designed these drivers and probably built some test boxes for them and took some measurements.  Either way, I think these recommendations are good starting points.  I look forward to Kevin's recommendations as well.

ABlakeG

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2005, 05:17 am »
Thanks for the heads up Brian -- I am going to have to re-think my plans now.

Blake

ooheadsoo

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:17 am »
:o the size of those boxes!  :o  I guess the 15" is out for me :P

Kevin Haskins

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2005, 03:49 pm »
Brian is pretty much right on.   I'll have recommended designs when these release.   The CX-15 & EX-15 have larger box requirements as would be expected for a 15" driver.   What you get in return is excellent low frequency extension with low power requirements.   The CX-15 in Brian's modeled boxes will get to full excursion with less than 300W.

You should also keep some perspective on output.   The small 3 ft^3 ported alignment with the EX-12 gives some incredible output.   It should be almost identical to the Adire Sadhara in output but reach a smooch lower.   The Sadhara was putting $3000-$5000 subwoofers to shame above 20Hz using a single 12" modified Brahma.   Spend $160 on a plate amp and $275 on the driver and all you need is a box.   The box can cost anywhere from $50-$500 depending on how crazy you want to get.   Do the math and it doesn't take much to figure out you can build one hell of a subwoofer for less than $700.   In terms of distortion, output and extension it should lead the world in terms of price/performance.   It should be a real house wrecker.

For music you just don't need the same output levels.   I'd recommend the CX-12 & CX-15 in sealed boxes depending on your space and budget.   I prefer alignments with a Q around 0.7 which requires slightly smaller boxes than Brian has recommended.  There isn't much difference between 0.6 & 0.7 though so pick your poison.

bald

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2005, 03:53 pm »
Kevin, you rejoined your own board? :D

bald

Brian Bunge

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2005, 05:04 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
Brian is pretty much right on.   I'll have recommended designs when these release.   The CX-15 & EX-15 have larger box requirements as would be expected for a 15" driver.   What you get in return is excellent low frequency extension with low power requirements.   The EX-15 in Brian's modeled boxes will get to full excursion with less than 300W.

Kevin, that last line confuses me a bit.  In the ported enclosure I recommended you don't get anywhere near Xmax until you are below 20Hz; 13Hz to be exact.  In the sealed enclosure you never exceed Xmax.  Granted, these are just simulations, but I'd expect them to be at least fairly accurate.  Am I missing something?  Are you sure you weren't referring to the CX line instead of the EX line?

Kevin Haskins

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:24 pm »
Quote from: bald
Kevin, you rejoined your own board? :D

bald

Yes... now I have two post to my name.  :-)   I tried to change my email in my other account and it locked me out.   I just created another account under my real name which I prefer to do anyway.

RAW

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:29 pm »
The cube we do for the GR will work.

Brian
Modle the cube with the EX 12 and the ADA300.
A little magic from the ADA and 20hz is not a issue :mrgreen:
This will be a finished sub I will be offering.

This even put a smile 8)  on Dans face when he ran a sim using the EX and the ADA.
Will they hit harder than the GR with out having one yet to test them side by side.I can not comment.

Kevin Haskins

Exodus Subwoofers
« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:58 pm »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
Kevin, that last line confuses me a bit.  In the ported enclosure I recommended you don't get anywhere near Xmax until you are below 20Hz; 13Hz to be exact.  In the sealed enclosure you never exceed Xmax.  Granted, these are just simulations, but I'd expect them to be at least fairly accurate.  Am I missing something?  Are you sure you weren't referring to the CX line instead of the EX line?

Yes... the CX will reach full excursion with under 300W.   To reach full excursion with the EX in most applications you would need closer to 600W based upon simulations.   For most applications people are better off being amplifier limited so I'd say using around 400W on a EX subwoofer would be a great match.   The system would be amplifier limited and it would clip before it would bottom the driver.