I broke my cart!! Now I need a new one, but which one?

SET Man

Hi all,

I screwed up my Blue Point Special cart while removing the RB250 out from my TT to install a new set of output cable. Long story but ... yes I should have remove the cart first before doing that, man that was one expensive lesson I learned tonight :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Okay,... I'm taking a deep breath and say to myself, " is gone, let it go and get over it!" :cry:

Good thing I still have my old Blue Point cart that I'm now using as a back up... never though I would use it again.

Now, I need a new cart for my Rega Planar 2/RB250. I have been pretty happy with the old Blue Point Special. Very dynamic, good tracking and great for the price. True that sometime it sound a bit agressive in the upper mid/lower high.

I cam up with 3 contenders that I'm interested in. Since my Audio Note M1 have only tubed MM phono-pre, all 3 are high output MC.

1. The new Blue Point Special EVO III. $350
    Since I was very happy with the old BPS I think I could just get the new improved version. I'm quite sure that it would be better than the one I had. And with designed to be load at 47K I don't need to open up my pre-amp and unsolder the loading resistor and chang to the new one. The price is at a point were I could easily afford without straving myself :lol:

2. Dynavector 10x5  $375
    About the same price as the BPS. Never heard this one in my system or other's. But it seem to have good reviews.

3. Benz Micro ACE high output. $449
    Looks great. But I'm not sure if I'm qualify for the trad-in to get that price with my working Blue Point cart. Again never heard it. And with this I have to change the loading resistor in my pre-amp.

Overall I need something that have excellent dynamic, excellent tracking, open and smoother upper mid/lower high than the old BPS.

Anyway, any other cart I should consider? Any comments would be greatly apriciated.

Thanks,
Buddy :thumb:

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2005, 12:34 am »
Give Klaus Bunge (Odyssey Audio) a call at 317-299-5578

It might surprise you what he can do for the money.

Good luck.

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2005, 02:08 am »
You might consider posting your question on The Vinyl Engine, in the "Cartridge Talk" forum. FYI - I have found the site to be an excellent resource on all things vinyl. Additionally, please consider perusing The Cartridge Database, a ridiculously nice cartridge data depository done by "EdAInWestOC". I highly recommend it; please consider trying its "Cartridge Resonance Evaluator", a very slick tool.

I myself use a Denon DL-103R on a Rega P-25, along with TWL's "Strange Tonearm Tweak" per AudioGon discussion thread - long but interesting thread. Unfortunately, the cart is low output (Output voltage: 0.25mV). I mention it because there are high output Denon's out there that may fit your budget and ear. I know there's a number of other carts, too (I'm personally not partial to the MicroBenz Ace, and would suggest moving higher up the MB line - Glider or H2, but that would be out of your current price range :cry: . THE BPS EVO has a lot of fans (Arthur Salvatore is NOT one of them (after hitting the link, go about 3/4 down the page to read his comments), as does the Dynavector, etc); have fun finding one that works synergistically with your TT, tonearm, preamp, etc.... :wink:

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2005, 03:05 am »
Take a look at Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood mk2.

Balanced and musical, with more than sufficient detail.
Tremendous value.

Very highly regarded, reviewed, and praised.
See some comments here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.12/category.367/it.A/id.325/.f

List is 800, but can be had new for 500.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1128068347

I prefer it to my $1500 Benz.
Assuming the output matches your needs,  I don't see how you can go wrong here.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2005, 07:37 am »
Not to be impartial, but what the heck.  Go for the DL-103, but as I remember you might need to increase the gain of your preamp.  I had a German site that was selling them for just $150.....very cheap in comparison to the usual $200 that people ask for them.  I certainly paid $200.  Man, you ought to own yourself to listen to this cartridge, please who own red point turntables, the designer manufacturer was raving about it.

Let me track down the German site for you.  What is the point of spending $500 or more or less on a cartridge if you cannot go to the Hi End of the cartridge business with Koetsus and ZYXs?  Save some money and get something that many people seem to prefer.  

and I say, no no to your tweaking deals anymore! :mrgreen:

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2005, 07:42 am »
Not to be impartial, but what the heck.  Go for the DL-103, but as I remember you might need to increase the gain of your preamp.  I had a German site that was selling them for just $150.....very cheap in comparison to the usual $200 that people ask for them.  I certainly paid $200.  Man, you ought to own yourself to listen to this cartridge, please who own red point turntables, the designer manufacturer was raving about it.

Let me track down the German site for you.  What is the point of spending $500 or more or less on a cartridge if you cannot go to the Hi End of the cartridge business with Koetsus and ZYXs?  Save some money and get something that many people seem to prefer.  

and I say, no no to your tweaking deals anymore! :mrgreen:

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2005, 01:49 pm »
Paul,

Make that Denon site public.  I'm a big fan of Dynavectors, especially on Rega's, but a $150 Denon is hard to fault.

Michael

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2005, 01:56 pm »
Mike, do you clamp your records when playing?  I am in the process of outfitting my tt with some extras and I wonder if a decent clamp will improve the sound somewhat.

I am still waiting for news on the German site, as soon as I get it, I will let you know.

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2005, 02:01 pm »
Paul,

I'd think on your TT, with it's specific sonic priorities, a clamp would be helpful.  I've only heard the Shun Mook and Simon Yorke clamps.  At one point, I heard a clamp on a Rega P3 and it SUCKED the life out of the table.  Most flat earth type tables are clamp averse IMO, though some will disagree with me.  Clamps seem to broaden the soundstage and markedly increase the dynamics of the table, but slow the pace IMO.  Obviously, you just need to try a clamp on your table to figure out if it meshes well.

Michael

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2005, 02:36 pm »
I have heard that Rega turntables and others that you mention are designed to avoid clamps.  So, they slow down the sound, right?  I guess it has to do with the density of the materials used and the possible dissipation of vibrations are impeded with clamps are used.  Shit, call me a newbee in engineering, but some of the audio designs that are priority for certain companies, like 47 Labs with their philosophy of allow vibrations to escape through the use of certain materials vs some companies that overemphasize vibration control through massive damping...all different ways of achieving good sound.

BTW, what sort of digital source do you have in your system?

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2005, 03:33 pm »
Rega Jupiter transport/Ack Dack 2.0

Yeah, quick dissipation (Rega/47 Labs) vs. Mass damping (Teres/Redpoint) are different philosophies.  IMO, you choose your camp and then just listen to music.  Different strokes for different folks.

Michael

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2005, 04:05 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks guys for your comment. djbnh, thanks for those links, it might come in handy.

toobluvr, that look like a good deal, a bit over my budget right now... buy maybe.

Paul, the Denon is low output MC and my Audio Note tubed phono stage only handle MM or hight output MC. So, I can't use the Denon 103. And buying a new cart is pushing/poking a hole in my wallet right now. I won't have any money left to get a good step-up device. :cry:

Suck! man. I'm using the old Blue Point right now as a back up and my system sound lifeless right now  :( I guess I will be playing more CD for a while.

So, I'm still serching for new cart... dose Denon make high output MC? Other I should check out? Keep in mind I'm on budget right now... $350 and maaaaybe... up to $500.

Thanks all,
Buddy :(

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2005, 04:05 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks guys for your comment. djbnh, thanks for those links, it might come in handy.

toobluvr, that look like a good deal, a bit over my budget right now... buy maybe.

Paul, the Denon is low output MC and my Audio Note tubed phono stage only handle MM or hight output MC. So, I can't use the Denon 103. And buying a new cart is pushing/poking a hole in my wallet right now. I won't have any money left to get a good step-up device. :cry:

Suck! man. I'm using the old Blue Point right now as a back up and my system sound lifeless right now  :( I guess I will be playing more CD for a while.

So, I'm still serching for new cart... dose Denon make high output MC? Other I should check out? Keep in mind I'm on budget right now... $350 and maaaaybe... up to $500.

Thanks all,
Buddy :(

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2005, 05:35 pm »
Buddy,
I was just looking for a cartridge for the analog setup I am building, and I picked the Dynavector 10X5.  I am going to mate it with a RB-250 arm.  But, I have no idea how it sounds, and how it compares to the others on your list.  I picked it based on the positive reviews I saw, and all the positive threads I saw at Audio Asylum on it.

I was also told if you make it “nude” (remove the body), it competes with the 20XH, it’s more expensive brother.

I bought mine from Larry at Hollywood sound, who has been helpful in my analog project.

For people interested in the Denon, I was considering it, almost bought it, and this was what I found on it.

You can pick up the denon 103 on ebay for around $190 from a German place.

These guys
http://www.lowtherclub.com/
have it for 230 canadian, which is about $190 US.

A little while ago, I emailed these guys, and this was the response
Dear Randy,
It's sorry for late reply.
You can buy a Denon DL-103R.

The price is 22,400 yen (80% of the list price ; 28,000 yen.) and shipping cost.
The shipping cost to U.S.A will be 1,200 yen.
Would you make an order?
As for payment, we usually proceed the transactions by credit card.
Is it acceptable?

Best regards,
Koichi Iwamura
Hi Fi Do, Inc.

This is about $215 shipped for the 103R.  On Audiocubes, there is a $50 premium for the R, so they should have for 103 for maybe $170 shipped, and would be the best price I found.

Randy

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2005, 05:40 pm »
I use the 10x5 and have been quite pleased with it.  I only like moving coils... I haven't heard an MM that I could live with.  I have an old Adcom HOMC that sounds very good also... I believe it's essentially a Shelter cart rebadged as Adcom.  The 10x5 took a long time to break-in... with the bass being a little restricted for the first few months.. (I don't play that many records)  But after using it for a few days playing back-to-back records, it really blossomed.  Great cartridge, highly recommended.  

-Carl

randytsuch

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2005, 06:18 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I use the 10x5 and have been quite pleased with it.  I only like moving coils... I haven't heard an MM that I could live with.  I have an old Adcom HOMC that sounds very good also... I believe it's essentially a Shelter cart rebadged as Adcom.  The 10x5 took a long time to break-in... with the bass being a little restricted for the first few months.. (I don't play that many records)  But after using it for a few days playing back-to-back records, it really blossomed.  Great cartridge, highly recommended.  

-Carl

Did you try it naked?

Randy

djbnh

« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2005, 06:25 pm »
Quote from: randytsuch
Did you try it naked?

Randy

That's so funny, I love a "Randy" post! Think I'll just sit back and while watching the race see what type of answers appear in this thread... :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2005, 06:30 pm »
Hey...naked listening may become the "new big thing".... :lol:

randytsuch

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2005, 07:12 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
Did you try it naked?

Randy

That's so funny, I love a "Randy" post! Think I'll just sit back and while watching the race see what type of answers appear in this thread... :lol:

Hey, what's a "Randy" post?

Here is a thread from AA about the nude mod.
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vinyl&m=386434

Randy

SET Man

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2005, 07:33 pm »
Hey!

Again thanks all for your help  :D

Randy, I'm currently  leaning toward the Dynavector now. The pirce is okay for me and is a high output MC.

The Denon is very intriuqing for me. But the output will be too low for me... Now the Denon people what about the lower one http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.369/it.A/id.235/.f Claimed ot have output to 2.2mv should work with my preamp.

Did you try it naked?

Randy

As far as "... try it naked."  Not  bad idea :lol: Well, with tubed amp and tubed pre and PS Audio P600 my room get pretty hot. To save some money on airconditioning I think I will give it a try :lol: maybe this will also make things sound better... feel the music natural way. :wink:

Hey! Lonewolf, how about we all try this "naked" trick at the next NY Rave?  :lol:  :lol:

Anyway, I might order the Dynavector tomorrow and try to stripe it and see.

Thanks all,
Buddy :thumb: