I broke my cart!! Now I need a new one, but which one?

GBB

German site
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2005, 08:32 pm »
Here's the site that Paul was mentioning:

http://www.phonophono.de/index_e.php3?Kennung=

The have the Denon DL103 for 127.80 Euro inside Germany but only 113.62 without VAT, which according to the latest exchange rate is $141.41 without VAT.  Assume about $10 shipping and you should have a DL103 for about $150.

---Gary

Carlman

Naked... It's just fun
« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2005, 09:40 pm »
Randy, I haven't tried it naked.  I didn't know about the 10x5 mod until this thread.  Free and easy are certainly mods I don't mind trying, either! :)  Many thanks for the information and referring link.  I'll give it a shot when I get a real phono pre around here... At the moment I'm planning major room upgrades and installing a bunch of stuff.  I'll put the comparison on the list, though... and report back sometime soon.  

Right now I'm waiting on a Porter Port to break-in before I do anymore analyzing.  If you haven't seen these, they are definitely worth a look.  Initial results are better than a broken-in PS Audio outlet. :)

-Carl

djbnh

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2005, 02:50 am »
Quote from: randytsuch
Quote from: djbnh
Quote from: randytsuch
Did you try it naked?

Randy

That's so funny, I love a "Randy" post! Think I'll just sit back and while watching the race see what type of answers appear in this thread... :lol:

Hey, what's a "Randy" post?

Here is a thread from AA about the nude mod.
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vinyl&m=386434

Randy

From dictionary.com

ran·dy    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rnd)
adj. ran·di·er, ran·di·est

Lascivious; lecherous.
Of or characterized by frank, uninhibited sexuality.
 :mrgreen:

randytsuch

Re: Naked... It's just fun
« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2005, 02:57 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Randy, I haven't tried it naked.  I didn't know about the 10x5 mod until this thread.  Free and easy are certainly mods I don't mind trying, either! :)  Many thanks for the information and referring link.  I'll give it a shot when I get a real phono pre around here... At the moment I'm planning major room upgrades and installing a bunch of stuff.  I'll put the comparison on the list, though... and report back sometime soon.  

Right now I'm waiting on a Porter Port to break-in before I do anymore analyzin ...

Hi Carl,
Heard about Porter ports from someone else too, may have to try them after I get my TT running.

Hi djbnh,
Yeah, that's how the English use the term "Randy".  I forgot about that meaning of my name.

Randy

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 16 Aug 2005, 03:15 pm »
i am partial to ortofon cartridges.  smooth, detailed, extended, naturl sounding...  if i needed a hi-output cartridge (i have no issues w/lo-output coils, w/my fono stage), i would be getting this one:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.378/it.A/id.288/.f
https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2729&c=ACCT106601&h=5c7a82ce89dec8151340&_xt=.pdf&ck=gOdYB8irANNKzw1x&vid=gOdYB8irAJtLz_Zg&cktime=3976

re: the denon dl103 cartridge, i would reject it out of hand, even if it sounds great.  i don't want a spherical stylus on my records.  give me the "fine-line" stylus shape; the latest fritz-gyger stylus used on the ortofon x5mc is even better.  these styli will give better tracking & less wear than even elliptical styli, forget about spherical styli.

that said, i have a used dl103 that came w/a tonearm i bought.  it's packed in its original box.  dunno the hours, & i never even mounted it, but the seller assured me it was still in excellent condition w/lotsa life left.  some sucker wanna buy it from me?  

:lol:

doug s.

hifitommy

clearaudio
« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2005, 09:18 pm »
the aurum beta s or another in this series.  mm carts that have veen compared to MCs.  its what i would be looking at if i didnt want a low output like the ortofon Kontrapunkt b.  thats a bitmore money than you want to spend i think.

mcrespo71

« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2005, 05:11 pm »
So what did you end up buying SET man?

FYI, I picked up a Denon 103R about a month ago.  It's very good, especially considering the price, but I don't think it's the giant killer everyone is stating.  I'd say both my Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and Dynavector Karat 19a II are both quite a bit better than it on my table and arm.  After hearing all the raving on the net, I expected it should blow them away, given both carts list under $1000.  But then, a year and a half ago, if you read audiocircle, you'd think we would all have Panny receivers now.  Regardless, for $200, I don't think you can buy a better cart if you have the right amount of gain in your phono pre.  It will remain a backup in my system, though.

Michael

Michael