Split 8/27 jam into two jams?

brj

« on: 10 Aug 2005, 01:51 pm »
Hello all...

The last time I checked, we had 4 speakers (more if Danny commits to something) * 4 amps * 3 sources, for a total of 48 possible combinations so far.  Divided into 2 rooms, and we get 24 combinations per room to cover in an afternoon, but presumably we all want to hear all of them, and in the sweet spot with our own tracks.

I love the thought of all that gear, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me for a single afternoon.  What are your thoughts on trying to split the 8/27 jam into two jams?

I've already talked to Jim Salk and PhilNY about extending the tour of the HT1s and Focus FS788s, respectively, and both are comfortable with having them stay in DFW for a few extra weeks.  We have two people that have made initial offers to host the next Jam, and both are heavy in additional speakers (Usher for one, and Von Schweikert and more on the other).  I was thinking that maybe we want to focus on amps and sources at arthurs' jam, and speakers at another jam to follow in 2, 3 or 4 weeks.  We can certainly overlap some of the gear between the two jams, but it might be helpful to maintain a given focus. at each proposed jam.

So, for jam #1, we could have:

Amps:
- Cary CAD500MB (arthurs)
- Blue Circle NSCS integrated (Phil via Lee)
- NuForce Ref 8/9 (NuForce via Lee)
- Halcro (arthurs)
- JC-1 (arthurs)
- PS Audio GCA (arthurs)
- Musical Fidelity A-5 (arthurs)

Sources:
- Cary 303/300 (arthurs)
- MF A-5 (arthurs)
- Resolution Opus 21 (if Phil can send us one)

and for jam #2, we could have:

- Salk Sound HT1
- Focus Audio FS788
- Dunlavy SC IVA (if arthurs wants to transport)
- Gallo Reference III
- Various GR Research
- Various Ushers or Von Schweikert's (VR4 Sr available)

Your thoughts?

arthurs, please weigh in here, as I don't want to step on your toes in the least - for your jam, I'll happily defer to your wishes!

Thanks!

cryoparts

« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:05 pm »
Phil has confirmed the Resolution Opus 21 is going to be shipped as well.  So that's a go.

Only people I am waiting on confirmation from are NuForce as to what they are sending.

Regards,

Lee

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:14 pm »
Yeah, that's a lot of gear...two separate Jams would be a good idea...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:25 pm »
Two separte jams will be fine with me.

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:14 pm »
Geez, sorry guys I never even saw this thread.  I'm fine with splitting into 2 jams but some of the equipment coming to my place isn't mine, it's a friends so it potentially won't be available past my place.  Transporting the Dunalvy's is pretty funny also.... :nono:  

Drop me an e-mail and I'll shoot you my number so we can hook up by phone to figure this out.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Speakers
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2005, 09:06 pm »
I know a guy that has SC IVA's. He was wanting to upgrade to some new speakers, but wasn't sure what to step up to.

In the mean time, he sent me the networks out of his Dunlavy's, and I upgrade most of the Solen caps to Sonicaps and the sand caste resistors were upgraded to Mills resistors. Now he loves those things so much that I think he is going to keep them. He said is made a big difference for the better. I wish I could have heard them before and after the upgrade. They are interesting speakers for sure.

Those Focus Audio speakers are very nice as well. They kind of inspired a bunch of other speakers. The smaller model used to have the 5" Eton woofer and the Scan Speak 9500 tweeter.

I friend of a friend had a pair that another group of friends cloned. The frequency response was not exactly perfect but with a little adjustment to the values used and going to a slighter higher order network on the tweeter to shift the phase relationship back in line resulted in a really nice little speaker.

See some pics and info here: http://www.gr-research.com/diyevents/roy.htm

The comments listed were from people that attended the DIY event.

We then did the same design using the 9950 Usher tweeter. It was a really nice sounding speaker for about $450. in parts.

It then inspired our Criterion and Diluceo kits with the performance stepped up another notch with the use of the Aurum Cantus ribbon.

See info here: http://www.gr-research.com/discontinued/criterion.htm

And here: http://www.gr-research.com/discontinued/diluceo.htm

I still have a couple of pairs of Criterion's I need to do something with. Maybe a really low price as a close out special will help make them a good home.

So is the event getting split a little or what? Amps this go around or speakers? Or a little of both this time with one focus and a little more of the other the next go around with a different focus?

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2005, 02:50 pm »
I'd say we do a little of both at each:  

So, for jam #1, we could have:

Amps:
- Cary CAD500MB (arthurs)
- Blue Circle NSCS integrated (Phil via Lee)
- NuForce Ref 8/9 (NuForce via Lee)
- Halcro (arthurs)
- JC-1 (arthurs)

Sources:
- Cary 303/300 (arthurs)
- MF A-5 (arthurs)

Speakers:
- Focus Audio FS788 (Phil's customer)
- Dunlavy SC IVA (arthurs)
- Gallo Reference III (arthurs)

and for jam #2, we could have:

Whatever front end components we can hang onto or come up with new...

Speakers:
- Salk Sound HT1
- Focus Audio FS788
- Various GR Research
- Various Ushers or Von Schweikert's (VR4 Sr available)

brj

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2005, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
I'm fine with splitting into 2 jams but some of the equipment coming to my place isn't mine, it's a friends so it potentially won't be available past my place.

That's understandable.  Of the speakers besides the Focus and Salk, which ones would not be available for a later jam at another location?

Drop me an e-mail and I'll shoot you my number so we can hook up by phone to figure this out.

arthurs, you should have my email address already from a previous PM, but I'll shoot you another one with my phone number added.  Be aware that I can't check my personal email while at work, so any response outside of a PM will be a bit delayed.

Opps, I see we are posting on top of each other... PM in the water! :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2005, 03:11 pm »

It should already be at Lee's...

- Focus Audio FS788 (Phil's customer)

FYI - the speakers I've sent are the Focus Audio FS688 (monitors), not the FS788 (floorstanders).  Hope someone's got some good stands...

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2005, 03:28 pm »
I have no stands, anyone else?

arthurs

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2005, 03:31 pm »
Of the speakers besides the Focus and Salk, which ones would not be available for a later jam at another location?

The Gallo's I cannot say for sure we could get again and the Focus are probably up to Phil or his client.  The Dunlavy's are just too damn big and painful to move....

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2005, 03:57 pm »
I have no stands, anyone else?

If push came to shove, I could send some stands down, but my stands are *heavy* (more than the speakers!), and I'd prefer not to....

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2005, 03:57 pm »
Btw - what date are we talking here for the second Jam?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Speakers
« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2005, 05:54 pm »
I can bring a set of stands if I needed.

Please let me know dates as soon as possible for Jam number 2. My calender is already overloaded.

I might can bring some small speakers for Jam 1 and something more serious (big speakers, an array  :D ) for Jam 2.

I also need to work in a trip to the Dallas area to measure a buddy of mines Dali Megalines with my Clio system and would like to arrange something to allow for that.

arthurs

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2005, 06:05 pm »
That sounds good Danny, although I'd rather hear the Line Arrays first, given my love for giant speakers and my deep curiosity about your line arrays, selfish, but there it is :D .  We could make the living room the big speaker room and the family room the smaller speaker room.

brj

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2005, 06:11 pm »
I'll ping the two people that mentioned possible hosting duties for a second jam.  I know that Hank had talked about hosting at one point, but I haven't seem him post in quite a while...

More when I hear back...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Speakers
« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2005, 06:12 pm »
Well, if I get the array's finished up then I'll bring them. I am coming in the Suburban and if I remove the back seat it should all fit in there. I might need a hand with unloading and loading though.

The array's I am working on are the new Raw Acoustic RA8.

See info: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20593

I might have them ready by Saturday. MIGHT!

arthurs

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2005, 06:26 pm »
No worries Danny.  

On another note, I dropped you an e-mail on the Dunlavy's, maybe there's an experiment in those for us.... 8)

brj

Re: Speakers
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2005, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Danny
The array's I am working on are the new Raw Acoustic RA8.

I might have them ready by Saturday. MIGHT!

I'm still waiting for those new A/V-4s! :)

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
A/V-4's
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2005, 07:33 pm »
I'm still waiting for those new A/V-4s!

I still have the Maple pair the UPS beat up. I can drop the drivers back into those and you guys can give them a listen.

In fact I can really make a hell of a deal on the Maple set.

The kit is $795. Enclosures depending on finish will be in the $1,000. to $1,400. range.

A fully assembled pair like these would be about $2,400., but I could let these go for $1,400. due to the cosmetic damage.