All the scoop on our new preamplifier lineup.

avahifi

« on: 4 Aug 2005, 02:48 pm »
Lets see if I can eliminate some confusion here.

First of all the product names for the upgraded T7 ECR and T7 SLR hybrid tube preamplifiers are the AVA Ultra EC and AVA Ultra SL models.  We have been shipping the upgraded circuits since May.  They will have new faceplate cosmetics and a higher price in about two months.  Until the revised faceplates are ready, there is no price increase from the Transcendence Seven catalog prices.  These are our best preamplifiers, significantly nicer than the T7 versions, and nicer than the T8 all tube unit too, essentially significantly higher definition, more relaxed, and more focused than before.

The Transcendence Eight is the new all tube preamp available as an SL verison only (no tone controls).  It replaces the T5 and T6 models and is significantly better sounding than either of these, and better than the previous T7 models too (but not up to the Ultra SL or Ultra EC models).  It is priced the same as the previous T6 preamp.  Kits are not available.

The OmegaStar solid state line remains exactly as is, great performing solid state units at very affordable prices.

Upgrades from a T5 or T6 to a T8 are possible, but will require a complete replacement mother board and we have not established pricing for this yet.

Upgrades from a T7 "R series"  (already with regulated power supply board) to an Ultra series are possible too, with pricing set at $799 for now, plus $200 for units with the phono option.  It is a major rework of the power supply and line and phono boards and is very labor intensive.  My team who build them for me tell me I am not charging enough for the upgrades based upon the amount of work it causes them.  Upgrades to a Fet Valve series or T7 series previous to the R series is $300 additional.  The Ultra series does of course use a multi-stage active analog high speed high voltage regulator board.

So, if you have a Transcendence Seven on order, you will be getting a much nicer Ultra preamp instead, at no price increase at this time.  Prices will increase when new faceplates are available, and the cosmetic upgrade likely will be available too, but of course there will be a charge for this.

Our equipment is working great and pleasing many people.  We appreciate all the positive response.  We are working hard to stay at the top of the game and still love the business.  Thanks for your support.

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2005, 04:10 pm »
Frank:
  Put me on that very long list of supporters. Nuff Said!

Cheers
                                    Charlie

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2005, 11:03 pm »
..still saving my $'s for one of these new pre-amps. Unfortunately a surprise auto expenditure will set me back 'till after the first of the year.

:evil:  :x  :evil:

:(   It would have been nice to take advantage of the cost savings to buy now, but.... sh*t happens sometimes. Some low-life took off my right-side rear view mirror along with scuffing-up the paint along the whole side in a parking lot while I was inside the store buying a 12-pack  :nono: ...

So, in the meantime, I'm interested in any comments re: the sonic differences between the T-8 and the Ultra to help me make up my mind between the two into a ss amp w/24k impedence w/ 87db 8-ohm speakers that don't dip below 6.5 ohms.  :?

Looking for that neutral, relaxed, yet detailed sound I keep hearing about but haven't quite yet achieved to my satisfaction.   :)

WEEZ

plaf26

T8
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2005, 07:56 pm »
While I'm waiting for my T8 (any day now?), have been thinking about a new TT to go with the amazing phono stage.  Any ideas?  Stumbled across KAB's SL-1200 mods that looked interesting, or is this a subject for another circle?

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2005, 09:48 pm »
Thinking about using the Longhorn?

(an in-depth discussion of 'tables might fit better in the Vinyl Circle- unless Frank doesn't care.. :| )

WEEZ

plaf26

Longhorn Grado
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2005, 04:43 pm »
WEEZ:

Am now on my 3rd Longhorn Grado.  Still have my first which now plays 78s.

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2005, 10:44 pm »
Hey plaf26,

Guess I'd be right if I said you're sold on the Longhorn!  :lol:

I like the sound of Grado as I've said repeatedly on various threads. Not only do they sound good, but they seem to outlast other types and brands.

The KAB looks interesting and may well be a bargain- but I've never used a direct drive so I'm ignorant re: the Technics/KAB stuff. LKdog here at AC has one, I think. You might do a search.

Anyway, give us a review when you get the T-8..

WEEZ

skrivis

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2005, 04:07 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
Hey plaf26,

Guess I'd be right if I said you're sold on the Longhorn!  :lol:

I like the sound of Grado as I've said repeatedly on various threads. Not only do they sound good, but they seem to outlast other types and brands.

The KAB looks interesting and may well be a bargain- but I've never used a direct drive so I'm ignorant re: the Technics/KAB stuff. LKdog here at AC has one, I think. You might do a search.

Anyway, give us a review when you get the T-8..

WEEZ

The problem with DD turntables is that they're direct drive. :-) There's nothing to absorb motor misbehavior like there is with a belt drive table.

I don't think there are _any_ motor setups that deliver perfectly smooth rotation, particularly at slow speeds. There will be some ratcheting, and a servo circuit will only decrease the magnitude (or maybe even make it worse...).

You can increase the mass of the platter system, and that will help, but I still don't know that you gain anything over a good belt-drive setup.

plaf26

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2005, 05:23 pm »
skrivis:

Wouldn't the "motor misbehavior" and "ratcheting" be measurable as flutter? Wouldn't it be audible?

gregmav

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2005, 07:39 pm »
Question for Frank.  Will the upgraded faceplate cosmetics be available for the OmegaStar EC as well, since it apparently matches the AVA Ultra EC (which used to be the T7 ECR)?  If so, can you give us any hints as to what the faceplates might look like...........color, what the switches and knobs might look like?  Thanks in advance.

Greg

skrivis

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2005, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: plaf26
skrivis:

Wouldn't the "motor misbehavior" and "ratcheting" be measurable as flutter? Wouldn't it be audible?

Possibly. I'm sure it depends upon the exact type of flutter exhibited (period, slope of curve, hor or vert...), and the resolution of the test instruments.

I don't think that flutter measurements will show things like bearing noise or  increased hum though. (Note that I'm not saying these always go along with DD tables...)

DD is great for DJs. For the rest of us, I'm not sure it solves any problems, and it may create some.

I, personally, would rather have a belt drive table. :)

Just to keep this more on topic, I also really like the Longhorn mod for the Grado, and I'd recommend it with _whatever_ turntable you select.  :D

ricmon

tr7 upgrade
« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2005, 06:20 pm »
folks ponder this:

I'm sure the new "Ultra" is a very nice piece of audio gear but I have one major concern. I have been through 3 amp iterations from the 350hc to 350EX to 550EXR. I bought my TR7 last year before the new circuit was introduced and would like to upgrade to the "Ultra" specs. But what’s next the "Ultra MkII" or "Super Ultra". In short will it be a better strategy, to wait for the next iteration of the TR7 or keep paying for each incremental evolution of the model?

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2005, 06:27 pm »
So are you suggesting he never ever try to upgrade his equipment?

Hey, if you don't want to upgrade, don't....

It's pretty simple.  

It's hard to fault a manufacturer who is constantly trying to make his stuff better.

philipp

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2005, 06:51 pm »
Oh come on Marbles, don't put words in the man's mouth.

Look, ricmon, it's all a matter of your financial priorities. It looks like the upgrade would cost you at least $800. Do you have that much lying around? Is there any better way you can think to spend it? A vacation? A CD a week for the next year? Some sound treatment to your listening room? Tickets to a few dozen concerts?

You get my meaning. Make a list of all the things you'd like to do with this money. If everything else gets crossed off the list except Frank's latest and greatest, then upgrade. Either way, you have a magnificent preamp.

Cheers!

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2005, 06:57 pm »
Quote from: philipp
Oh come on Marbles, don't put words in the man's mouth.

Then what was he saying????

He made the same post in two threads...it sure looked like bitchin' to me that Frank upgraded his line.

If you look at my previous post, I asked HIM the question to clarify what he meant.  I did not want to put words in his mouth.........

MarkM

Re: tr7 upgrade
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2005, 07:40 pm »
Quote from: ricmon
folks ponder this:

I have been through 3 amp iterations from the 350hc to 350EX to 550EXR.

Obviously you must have considered it $$ well spent since you invested in 2 upgrades.   If not, you should have stopped at one.  

You either jump in or stand on the sidelines.  

Your dollars, you decide worhtwhile investments.

ricmon

upgrages
« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2005, 09:07 pm »
ok guys calm down.  all i'm asking is should every upgrade be considered or is it more prudent to skip one in anticipation of the next upgrade.  simple..

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2005, 10:10 pm »
I think it is great to someone like Frank always working on improvements to his already superb audio products. I see it as no different than any of us hear on AC. We are all always working on upgrades and tweeks to improve our sound. When I here Frank has come up with an upgrade, I just add more cash to my audio bank account. I think if you are in this like most of us are, we will just keep spending money on upgrades whether it is replacement gear or upgrades to our older gear.
Yeh, it can be a little frustrating when improvents seem to be happening at such a fast pace, but that is the way a lot of things seem to be. Look at Microsoft. How many "Windows" systems have we been through and I here their are many, many more in the works.
The only real bummer her is the 2-3 week wait time.  
Keep it up Frank, I will be seeing you soon for my amp and preamp upgrades.
I can't wait and can't imagine how what I have be improved on! But if Frank say it is an improvement, then I am sure it will be worth it all!

ricmon

upgrades
« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2005, 10:43 pm »
I certainly am glad that there is an upgrade path for the AVA equipment.  I also bought an upgradeable cd player as well (creek cd mkii) and I well definetly be upgrading my pre amp.  But I don't use the microcrap os.  However it seems to me that to upgrade per iteration falls in to the neurotic audiophile category that Mr. Van Alstine speaks of in his own liturture.  Now before things get heated I my self pretty much fall into this camp but I bought in to the AVA philosophy for this very reason. Is this upgrading becoming a self-fullfilling prophecy?

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2005, 10:58 pm »
It is an addiction, oops I mean a hobby!