What books, comics, myths and plays would you like to see

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
made into a movie.  

I for one would like to see Milton's Paradise Lost and Spencer's Faerie Queen made into movies.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2005, 02:13 pm »
Real life Johnny Quest would be pretty cool for my kids to appreciate.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2005, 02:26 pm »
The Green Lantern would be fun.

"In brightest day and blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light."

Ted

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2005, 03:32 pm »
Sgt. Rock and Man O War.

BTW, I get a kick out of the cartoon Johnny Bravo. :lol:

ScottMayo

Re: What books, comics, myths and plays would you like to se
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2005, 03:39 pm »
Lord of the Rings. As Tolkein wrote it. :-)

I would have added 'Narnia', but it looks like Disney's giving that a go. I hope they don't damage it.

And I think 'Sylvie and Bruno' - it would have to be reworked a fair amount - would be fascinating. Abrupt shifts between Reality and Fairie could be a lot of fun, on the screen.

Star Wars I and II. Since I'm pretty sure the versions I saw *can't* be the real ones.

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2005, 05:04 pm »
From Comic Books - Doc Savage or Nick Furry (Agent of Shield)
From Novels - Gor series, or foundation Trilogy

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2005, 07:02 pm »
I have always wished for a movie based on the Silver Surfer.  Would have loved Val Kilmer to be cast as the lead, but he's getting too old for it now.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Ghost Rider movie, too?

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2005, 07:23 pm »
But Nick Fury *has* been done :lol:-

http://www.davidhasselhoffonline.com/NickFuryWallpaper1.jpg

Ghostrider is supposed to be in process as is The Watchman which has a chance of rivaling Batman Begins, *possibly* better as a serious drama.

And, I predict that The Silver Surfer will be in an upcoming TF4 sequel, then they could do a full movie if the reaction is good :)

[edit] - Crap.  Looks like the Watchmen movie has been cancelled (again) due to its $100M budget required to even begin to do it justice.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2005, 07:50 pm »
I see DaVinci Code is already in the works.  Is Tom Hanks the best available for this role?  Can Ron Howard screw this up? Based on the book sales alone I would think this could break all kinds of record next summer if it is half way decent.

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2005, 08:16 pm »
The Silmarillion.  The Beren and Luthien story would probably make for a good movie by itself, but I'd still love to see how anyone could translate the creation of the universe through music onto the screen.  Talk about abstract, sheesh!  I know it'll never happen, but it's fun to dream.

But my more realistic answer would be: None! Books and movies don't mix.  At least not if the book came first, and you liked the book.  Maybe comics work better because there's less plotty stuff to remain accurate to.  Hmmm.

LordCloud

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2005, 08:41 pm »
Books: Queen of the Damned, a version more faithful to the book
Comic Book: Deathblow, Batman: Arkham Asylum

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2005, 08:52 pm »
if the fantastic four thought dr. doom was tough, let em go after the silver surfer and galactas.  what about the legion of super heroes? Zena? Aquaman? wonder woman?

R_burke

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2005, 09:20 pm »
Quote from: John Ashman
But Nick Fury *has* been done :lol:-

http://www.davidhasselhoffonline.com/NickFuryWallpaper1.jpg

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE

John Ashman

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2005, 09:33 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE

Oh, it was a joke alright, just not a funny one.

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2005, 09:44 pm »
Quote from: John Ashman

Ghostrider is supposed to be in process

I just checked IMDB, and it shows Ghost Rider targeted for 2006.  Stars Nicolas Cage...not exactly who I imagined as Johnny Blaze, but I can see the thinking behind it.

John Ashman

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2005, 09:45 pm »
Interestingly, there *is* a website for all this crap:

www.comicbookmovie.com

Found it while trying to find out what happened to Watchmen.  

Apparently there is a Silver Surfer movie in the works.  A lot of this though is probably that studios have bought the rights and are working on screenplays.

PhilNYC

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2005, 09:46 pm »
Oh...and I think Iron Fist would make for a cool movie, too...although Batman Begins might have stolen some of the "training with a secret society in the Himalayans" thunder....

Tweaker

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2005, 01:58 am »
Robert R. McCamon wrote a book called Swan Song which is far and away the best post nuclear war horror story I have ever read. It's also the only one, come to think of it. This is one I would like to see Peter Jackson get ahold of and give the Lord of the Rings treatment.
The more I think about it though I'm inclined to agree that more often than not it's a mistake to try to bring a book to the big screen. With very few exceptions they have been huge disappointments. Papillon, The Firm, The Horse Whisperer to name a few were all really screwed up when made into movies. I'm just gonna have to learn not to read the book first, I guess.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2005, 04:24 am »
The Silver Surfer & The Watchmen graphic novel series top my list.  Plus the Dragonlance series would be cool.

Bemopti123

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2005, 06:34 am »
Tweaker wrote:

Robert R. McCamon wrote a book called Swan Song which is far and away the best post nuclear war horror story I have ever read. It's also the only one, come to think of it. This is one I would like to see Peter Jackson get ahold of and give the Lord of the Rings treatment.

Welcome to another person who has read that novel.  I picked a coverless edition from somewhere and I really, really loved it.  Passed on to someone else, and he was also taken.  

The problem with an adaptation of that novel is that it is very long, details very minimal, that built into a climax.  

When I was reading the novel, I felt that McCammon was trying to do a type of King novel....I forgot the title....of course, McCammon is 100X more readable, excellent for that matter.

Thinking about all the movies that were based in King novel, I would argue against there ever being a succesful version of the SWAN SONG to screen.  
Why should people wait for a movie to ever come out?  Let imagination live and let people pick a copy to read themselves.  

His other novels are also great.  The best short ever written by the same man:  "Something passed by."  

Paul

PS:  I have a digital version of the said short story:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/fiction/something.html