Talk me out of selling my 626r's...

Tirade

« on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:02 pm »
Well Ive had my 626r's up on Audiogon for a week now and have all but ignored the lowball offers.

I have kids now and want to setup a HT 5.1/7.1 setup and the cost of a VMPS setup is TREMENDOUS (well it is to me anyway). Musically my 626r's are the 2nd best speakers Ive ever heard (the best were a pair of $25k speakers on about $20k worth of audio equipment). Ideally Id like 30's across the front with my 626r's in the rear, but thats not going to happen.

Im selling my 626r's but I have this sinking feeling that when they are gone Im going to regret it.. well maybe that is until I watch my first movie in 5.1 surround with my kids.

gongos

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:18 pm »
I flirted w/ selling my 626r's. I went and listened to some other speakers, but nothing came close in my price range. For 2 channel playback rest assured you'll be unhappy when your 626r's leave. Why not buy a less expensive surround sound setup like from axiom and keep the 626r's, or buy some non-VMPS surrounds and a LRC? You won't even notice if your surrounds aren't VMPS since the pass so little sound. HT playback isn't all that demanding--at least for me. 2 channel is where it's at. Keep the 626r's. Hell, when I decided to keep mine I ended up sending them back to the factory for some upgrades. :D

Florian

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:18 pm »
How about buying to cheap surround speakers and using the 626's in phantom mode?

-Flo

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:22 pm »
Keep your 626Rs for music.  For my HT I went with small wall mounted monitors for rear, surround and center (on top of CRT behemoth).  I use a pair of big floorstander for front L and R.  I wanted to make sure my daughter couldn't tilt or knock speaker onto herself.  But my daughter would rather go down to basement and listen to music on 2 channel with me than watch DVD or TV.  You just gotta steer you children away from awful TV and make listening to music more fun like dancing with them and let them pick out CD or LP's -- she likes bright colored album covers.  She let's me know what she likes and what she doesn't.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:23 pm »
I agree with Flo.  And keep your eyes peeled on Audiogon for a VMPS LRC.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:41 pm »
Hi Tirade,

I have seen your sales post and the thought crossed my mind that either you were "upgrading" to some RM2's or you were going to be sorry.

The 626R is one special speaker, and set up right it is hard to beat at "ANY" price at anything but super high listening levels.

What are your budget guidelines?

What finish is your 626R pair?

What kind of AVR or Pre-pro were you thinking about?

Do you have to go 7.1? or will 5.1 be fine?

I have to say that you can have a "great" HT for rather low bucks nowdays, but sacrificing your 626R's is pretty tough on your 2 channel enjoyment.

I think the Lowes Hardware slogan might be applicable here:

"You can do it....We can help"

Tirade

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2005, 09:05 pm »
John I replied to your PM and thanks for the ideas from those who have replied.

For those that replied please understand that if there was anyway possible to hold on to the 626r's and also get into a nice HT setup, Id do it. My budget for a HT setup is pretty much whatever I can get out of the 626r's plus a couple hundred dollars max. Im still young (30yo) and I'll have plenty of time to enjoy 2 channel listening again when the kids have grown up and I actually have time for 2 channel enjoyment again.

ScottMayo

Re: Talk me out of selling my 626r's...
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2005, 09:14 pm »
Quote from: Tirade
Well Ive had my 626r's up on Audiogon for a week now and have all but ignored the lowball offers.

I have kids now and want to setup a HT 5.1/7.1 setup and the cost of a VMPS setup is TREMENDOUS (well it is to me anyway).

The 626's would make *great* front channel speakers in a 5.1 setup. You can use very cheap speakers for the center and surrounds, and still end up with HT worth having - and if money gets freed up later, you can fill in with better stuff (center channel first) as you go.

I mean, a low end Panasonic HT audio system with speakers can be had for under $250, speakers and all. (SC-HT05).  Onkyo for under $400. No, it's not glorious stuff, but if it's just for kid's movies, it'll more than do the trick - and you'll still have music worth having. Someday those kids might appreciate that.

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2005, 09:16 pm »
Can you just play movies through your stereo?  I did that for many years, and for the vast majority of movies, it won't make a difference. Plus, kids don't care about what movies sound like.  In fact, I always had to turn on late night for kids.  Portions of Shrek would cause one kid (about 4 at the time) to run and hide; Shrek himself and the test tone things (THX) they put at the beginning of the shows would cause her sister to completely leave the room, screaming.

gongos

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2005, 09:32 pm »
Buy $200 surround speakers.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2005, 09:33 pm »
You might want to look at the upcoming A'Diva Ti speaker by Gallo.  This is a 5" sphere with a 3 inch full range custom titanium driver with a paper dust cap to get rid of the "metal sound".  They will be released within a month and a review is already written but Anthony won't let it go to press until he has stock.  The reviewer is wild about it (6 moons).  Anthony Gallo says it is more transparent in the midrange and more focused/coherent than the highly regarded Reference III.  Not quite as good a treble, power handling or bass of the Reference III, however.  With a good sub crossed over around 80-100 it sounds as large as the Reference and will play very loud. If you need to move more air than you could run two of them in parallel.  They will retail for something like $225 each.  I will be getting a pair as soon as they are available and be using them in our home theater set-up.......maybe even as my main speakers.....he he....I love killer little things.

CornellAlum

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2005, 01:01 am »
FWIW, I think you are taking a huge hit selling the 626r's at your asking price anyway.  Get some smaller surrounds, something like the rocket line should come in around a couple hundred bucks and save your 626r's.  Hell, save up some loot and get the remaining upgrades, you won't be sorry!

mcrespo71

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2005, 01:15 am »
Don't sell them. :nono:

CornellAlum

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2005, 01:16 am »
second :nono:  :evil:

warnerwh

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2005, 02:15 am »
I used my stereo speakers starting in the VHS mono days. It works well in stereo especially with a sub.  What do you think will sound better, two really good speakers or five much lesser speakers?  With the two quality mains and a sub you'll have all you really need, the rears don't add that much.  Movies will sound very good this way,  much better than five low quality speakers.

RGordonpf

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2005, 03:59 am »
I'll second the opinion that the rear speakers don't add that much to the sound.  I have a 5.1 system and I rent about 12-15 DVDs a month.  Only on 2-4 do I notice significant rear channel sound.  It's nice, but it does not make or break the movie.  On some movies I don't notice any rear channel at all.

My recommendation would be keep what you have and add a powered sub for a few hundred bucks.  Next year when you get a few more bucks you can spring for the rear channels.

Your kids will love a 2.1 system if you are there watching the movies with them and so will you.  Its not about having a 2.1, or a 5.1 or a 7.1 system.  It is about having fun.  Buy a sub and spend time with your kids.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2005, 05:06 am »
As usual, I'll be the voice of dissent. :lol:   IMOHO it's very important to have good quality speakers all 'round.  If you don't notice the rears, in a way that's good, as you should seldom if ever "notice" a speaker or become conscious of it as a discrete source of sound.  But I'd be crestfallen if I lost my surrounds.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2005, 05:31 am »
Don't sell them, you will regret it, there's nothing else in their price class that can come anywhere near them (at least not that I've heard).

Woodsea

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2005, 08:22 am »
I could not imagine selling my 626's.  They are awesome.  They play front duty in HT.  
My CBM 170's are hanging on the wall for the surround effects.  They are one hell of a speaker.
Try doing the phantom until you have enough money to buy the LRC!

MaxCast

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jun 2005, 09:56 am »
You asked for it and you got it.  Well, except for Rob.  But he's a Vikings fan anyway.  You CAN NOT sell your 626's!  :D