Talk me out of selling my 626r's...

Tirade

« Reply #20 on: 22 Jun 2005, 01:06 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
You asked for it and you got it.  Well, except for Rob.  But he's a Vikings fan anyway.  You CAN NOT sell your 626's!  :D

Well Im a buccaneers fan, so maybe that explains it ;)

Believe it or not this thread HAS actually got me considering just picking up some cheap internet direct HT speakers, I even took the first step and ordered a center channel from audio insider (Swan C3 Center open box for $249). Im going to see how well it blends with the VMPS and make a decision from there possibly. Ive been offered a fantastic price on a Rocket RC200 Center in case the Swan center is a no go.

Ive always had the gift (or curse) of being able to tell tone differences in different speakers, so Im hoping for movie watching that it wont be that bad.

drystream

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2005, 01:25 pm »
You could also get some Rocket OD speakers to use as surrounds.  They've got a summer sale on now where you get two pair for about $150.  I've got a pair in a sunroom, and think they sound great.  Would probably work well as surrounds, and possibly as a center.

CornellAlum

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jun 2005, 01:38 pm »
So, did we win yet or what...as in, you aren't STILL gonna sell these are you :nono:

Tim S

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun 2005, 02:13 pm »
Quote from: Tirade
Well Im a buccaneers fan, so maybe that explains it ;)

Believe it or not this thread HAS actually got me considering just picking up some cheap internet direct HT speakers, I even took the first step and ordered a center channel from audio insider (Swan C3 Center open box for $249). Im going to see how well it blends with the VMPS and make a decision from there possibly. Ive been offered a fantastic price on a Rocket RC200 Center in case the Swan center is a no go.

Ive always had the gift (or curse)  ...

If it makes you feel better, I lived for quite a while with B&W center and surrounds and my RM1's as mains for HT. For multi-channel music, it would have been awful, but for HT it worked well enough.

Tim

rblnr

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2005, 06:55 pm »
Your choices, as you know, are a) a piecemeal 5.1 system keeping the 626r and filling in the center and surrounds and b) getting a matched system that'll work for movies but will be painful for music, coming from the 626s.

-- Having gone piecemeal before and being partway there now (VMPS L/C/R) w/other brands surrounds -- it's not a dealbreaker when you listen to movies which are largely 'watched' anyway, most people tend to listen less critically.  If you're willing to go used, look on audiogon and you can probably fill out a 5.1 system cheaply and well while keeping the 626s.

-- Down the road then you can fill out the rest of the system w/VMPS when you've got the cash.  If you're on this forum, then stepping backward in sound quality will prove to be a bad idea within a minute of firing up the cheaper 5.1 system.

-- There is a payoff to matching all speakers, even though the surrounds aren't always going.  You get a seamless soundfield -- the absence of which you notice when you don't have it.  Came to my present rig for having Waveforms all around -- the envelopment isn't the same.

-- Wish too that VMPS had a cheaper surround solution.  Though I can swing it financially, am still having a tough time spending 2K+ on the ribbon dipole for surround duty.  Not a great value proposition.  Am looking at Radia 18i's which have a ribbon driver and are adjustable for monopole/dipole.  A pair is nearly a third the price of going VMPS.  Don't doubt there's a qualitative drop, but my old Midwestern values are tugging at me.[/i]

Porcupine

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jun 2005, 11:37 pm »
I've never heard a VMPS speaker but assuming they are as good as they are supposed to be I would be reluctant to sell the 626Rs. That being said, there are some dirt cheap deals out there on some awesome surround systems (it's what I just bought this month but I don't want to 'plug' it and recommend 'against' VMPS so I won't mention it here). In general when you sell things you are taking a loss so I think it is best to just keep what you've got.

I would probably try to keep the 626Rs as mains and fill out the system as others have recommended, except I worry that the other speakers will not be in-phase with the 626Rs. If the other speakers don't timbre-match perfectly I suppose that is fine, but what if some drivers on your center speaker are phase-inverted with respect to the 626Rs, as seems likely to be the case given what others have said regarding 'ordinary' speakers? Would that possibly cause problems I wonder?

rblnr

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:00 am »
Some receivers and processors allow you to switch the phase of individual speakers.  At worst you can simply switch the leads at the speaker terminals to do so.

Porcupine

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:03 am »
That's not really what bothers me. I think I read somewhere on the VMPS homepage (I went back to find the exact page but can't find it anymore) that most conventional budget speakers switch the polarity/phase of their midrange driver relative to the tweeter. So their drivers are out of phase. That might be incompatible wtih VMPS all-in-phase speakers. And that problem won't be fixed by reversing speaker wire polarity to the budget speakers.

warnerwh

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:44 am »
A sub will help more than surrounds. If I were to spend money that's where it would be. The better the sub the more you'll be glad you did it.  

My home theater is made up of Legacy Classics for mains, Vmps 626 center and Polk Rti 25's for the surrounds. It works fine for my family and I never notice that I've got three different brands of speakers there while watching movies.  For movies and music though a quality sub is well worth it.  I have a friend who winced at spending a grand on a sub, after I made him he was grateful.  You can get a Vmps kit for little money and power it with your receiver or just get a plate amp.  I'm surprised more people here haven't brought this up as I strongly feel this should be your next step.

ScottMayo

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2005, 03:08 am »
Quote from: rblnr
Your choices, as you know, are a) a piecemeal 5.1 system keeping the 626r and filling in the center and surrounds and b) getting a matched system that'll work for movies but will be painful for music, coming from the 626s.

Well, no. Plan C would be; keep the stereo intact and as is for music, and buy a completely separate and trashy HTIB for $250 for the kids' movies. When a brighter day dawns, sell the HTIB for whatever pennies you can get  (or take an axe to it, that might be fun) you can get and build something real for the HT.

Yes, you'll wince everytime the subwoofer in the HTIB pretends it can reproduce a 40Hz tone. But think how much more you'll appreciate the 626's. :-)

Tirade

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2005, 06:17 pm »
Well Ive decided to stick with selling them. A circle member offered me a deal on a HT setup that I think I cant pass on and I believe it will be good enough for music in 2 channel mode as well.

Im going to look at it like this... While I might miss the 626r's, eventually I will want the RM40's or beyond, so when I have time/money for 2 channel listening again, Id be upgrading anyway.

I dropped the price on my 626r's to $1149, Im eager to sell and that price should make it happen quickly.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2005, 06:58 pm »
Well Ive decided to stick with selling them. A circle member offered me a deal on a HT setup that I think I cant pass on and I believe it will be good enough for music in 2 channel mode as well.

Im going to look at it like this... While I might miss the 626r's, eventually I will want the RM40's or beyond, so when I have time/money for 2 channel listening again, Id be upgrading anyway.

I dropped the price on my 626r's to $1149, Im eager to sell and that price should make it happen quickly.

bad mistake, imo.  you would certainly enjoy music more on the vmps', while "suffering" thru the movies  on a 2-channel rig than suffering thru music on a h-t rig (w/o decent main speakers) & enjoying  movies.

if you have *any* time to watch movies, then you *certainly* have time to listen to music - yust my opinion of course!  i think a 13" b&w mono tv set is more than good enuff for movies...   :mrgreen:

doug s.

ScottMayo

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2005, 08:16 pm »

You have no idea how bummed this makes me. That's a good price for those speakers and I just do not have the free cash. Breaks my heart...

Tirade

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jun 2005, 08:31 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo

You have no idea how bummed this makes me. That's a good price for those speakers and I just do not have the free cash. Breaks my heart...

Well since I lowered the price to $1149, Ive had 4 inquiries. These should be sold by the end of the day I would think.

CornellAlum

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2005, 08:38 pm »
I bet my bottom dollar 6 months from now you are really going to regret this... :nono:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:00 pm »
Quote from: CornellAlum
I bet my bottom dollar 6 months from now you are really going to regret this... :nono:

i bet he will regret it 2 days after he's shipped them...   :o

doug s.

Carlman

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:13 pm »
I don't know him so I don't know if he'll regret it.  But, chances are good he can buy another pair later... or the RM40's like he really wants.  If he's like me, and has a sonic goal in mind, regret doesn't factor as big as one might think.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:15 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I don't know him so I don't know if he'll regret it.  But, chances are good he can buy another pair later... or the RM40's like he really wants.  If he's like me, and has a sonic goal in mind, regret doesn't factor as big as one might think.

i'd agree - *except* he sez he's pretty-much abandoning decent 2-channel audio for several years, (mebbe longer?) to get a middling h-t system.

doug s.

Tirade

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:23 pm »
Well as I stated in my original post, I probably will regret it, but that regret will be outweighed by the new thrill of having a nice HT setup and the enjoyment the family will have when it comes to watching movies. We purchased a new TV so it kind of goes hand in hand.

I will miss the dedicate d2 channl listening for sure, but when I get around to it again, I will be stepping up to the 40's or higher.

ohenry

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jun 2005, 10:48 pm »
I can understand Tirade's trade off.  He's in the time of life where a hobby that may have an isolating affect is less desirable than unselfishly spending his resources on something from which they all can benefit.  And besides, someone is going to become very happy with his speakers.

It's probably going to create good long-term audio karma. :D