BASSbassBASSbassBASSbassBASSbass

John Casler

« on: 11 Jun 2005, 09:45 pm »
great bass

I looked all over the Music Circle for the thread about a CD with great bass and couldn't find it, but I recently came across the CD, which todate has the deepest bass of any CD, I have ever played or heard.

It is the "Original Score" from the Movie AMERICAN BEAUTY.  It is very important that you know "it is NOT the Soundtrack"

This is what it looks like:

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1797435

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2005, 10:49 pm »
Here's one for pipe organ lovers...one of the most challenging CDs you'll find for bass:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003CXP/

And here's one that lonewolf brought to a NY Rave at my place that had some deep deep bass...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y1JN/

And finally, a CD Daniel introduced to me with great acoustic bass performance...not the "deep bass" that will blow up your sub, but still a great CD to show off the lower frequency capabilities of you system:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063IVK/

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2005, 11:17 pm »
a friend burned a ghetto cd for me that had the hardest  cleanest bass-i lost it :cry:

it was some funkadelic shit -no words-
would get me a little dizzy if a played it too loud

meilankev

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2005, 11:53 pm »
John,

Of the discs I own, the music CD with the best bass is Boz Scaggs' "Dig".  For absolute bass, the 2nd verse of "Thanks to You" is king.  And for compexity (3 distinct bass lines for your system to distinguish), it's "I Just Go".

Elvis Costello's "When I was Cruel" album is a close runner-up.

Kevin

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2005, 12:05 am »
Another one that I picked up is this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000006BZ5/

Track 8, "Spybreak!" is the music from the lobby scene in "The Matrix"...

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2005, 12:23 am »
How about Telarc's 1812?

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2005, 03:24 am »
Can some of these CDs like the Telarc 1812 really produce some massive damage, by overdriving whatever amp and bottoming out the bass driver of the speaker in question?  

The craziest bass I have experienced is when I pumped 850 watts of class D power through my sealed Infinity Intermezzo subwoofer, 15" of a ceramic composite woofer and as a source, no stereo, but a portable Panasonic CDP with XBS bass boost, umbilical connection, via a cheap pair of Mini to RCA.  
The songs that I had were of Lee Hyolee, a Korean pop singer.

When I cranked up the system, just to see where I would go, within about 1 minute, I had the third floor lady, coming in her sleeping robe, complaining about the bass.  I pointed at some noise on the 5th floor, and washed my hands of the entire deal.  You had to see the face of the lady when she knocked my door.  Hilarious.  

Link to the artist in question...

http://cafe.daum.net/hyolee79

there is even a song of her as background music.

Paul

dave_c

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2005, 03:57 am »
Hyolee makes music?  I just want to look her!

It seems like there's 2 kinds of bass. . .acoustic and electronic.  I remember back in the day pounding some Techmaster PEB just to see how low my Punch 12's could go.  I wish I had this CD back then:

Fila Brazilia - Brailification
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008BXAH/qid=1118548309/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/002-0074672-6081618?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

It's got tons of clean bass, but best of all the songs are great.  Nice CD to sit back and unwind after a hard day.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2005, 04:30 am »
Bass....well Phil has already mentioned the Tony Levin cd. So my next choice would be....Paul Chambers "Bass On Top". Its out of print here, but you can get it as an import. The most natural and full bass sound you'll ever hear. And a very good cd to boot....
    [/list:u]
      (Phil....you have a copy) 8) [/list:u]

ekovalsky

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2005, 07:36 am »
    There is some real deep bass on these albums.  As in high volume, bottom octave synthesizer bass  :o

'Indigo', Patrick O'Hearn

'Strata', Robert Rich & Steve Roach

'Fluxus Quo', Greg Klampt

These discs and a bunch of other 'space music' I accumulated during my Apogee Diva and Muse sub days have been collecting dust for the last few years.  They didn't sound right with an absent bottom octave, as the sub-bass sets the mood of the music.  Thanks to the Crown K2 and Alon bass towers, they are now back in heavy rotation.  

Madonna's 'Ray of Light' has some very deep bass too on several tracks, thanks to William Orbit's contribution.  

I need to pick up 'pieces of the Sun' (also 'Black Light Syndrome') as I'm a big fan of Tony Levin.  I've seen him perform live with a few major acts and he rules on the bass guitar :guitar:

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2005, 12:54 pm »
    Long Distance Love from the Little Feat album (vinyl) Last Record Album. I understand the CD versions are not as good.

REL recommends a track off the soundtrack of Sneakers, but, I don't have it and it is, after all, a soundtrack, only somewhat musical...

biz

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2005, 01:40 pm »
    Here's a few of my favoites

Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden - Beyond the Missouri Sky

Nice clean stand up bass (though a little overdone at times)

Blue Man Group - Audio

Pick a track, any track

The Fifth Element - Movie Soundtrack

The audio track that represenets the scene where the spaceship lands easily drops to 8 or 10Hz.

Snoop Dog - Doggystyle

This one isn't for the kiddies out there

Nils Petter Molvar - Kmer

Here you have the ultimate woofer cooker. Slide in disc 2, the remixes. Push track four and crank it as loud as it goes. I've buried my Shivas (13mm xmax) pumping 1000 watts into them on this track. Without exaggerating, everything in my house physically vibrates. pictures on the walls shake to the point of falling off, glasses walk their way across tables, stupid stuff like that. This bass (played way too loud) is obscene.

mca

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2005, 02:59 pm »
    John,

I think you posted the original thread on these guys, so I hope you have their latest!

Yello - The Eye

Great bass, great sonics, great CD!

Tweaker

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2005, 04:18 pm »
    Brad Mehldau The Art Of The Trio Volume Three-Songs has acoustic bass that digs incredibly deep. This is also just one heck of a good cd overall. Great music extremely well recorded.

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2005, 07:31 pm »
    SUNN! :thumb:

Play your gloom axe Stephen O'Malley, sub-bass clinging to the sides of the valley, sub-bass ringing in each last ditch and coomb, Greg Anderson purvey a sonic doom...

My personal fave is the droning riff "Gates Of Ballard" off White1.  

Shaking browser Sunn link

Man, I can only imagine what these sound like for someone who's got a room bigger than 12 feet square and three more VMPS subs than I have! :o

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2005, 12:21 am »
    Virgil Fox- The Fox Touch Volumes One and Two.

Recorded August 28 to 31, 1977 at the Garden Grove Community Church in Garden Grove, California on their Fratelli-Ruffatti organ consisting of 116 ranks, 108 stops and 6791 pipes.

Cut Direct to Disc on Crystal Clear Records

Recording Engineer: Bert Whyte, Mastering Engineer: Stan Ricker, Console Circuit Design: John Curl

32 foot pipes, 16 Hz CLEAN!

doug s.

• makin' music
    « Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2005, 06:24 pm »
    try nusrat fateh ali khan & michael brook's - "night song"

also try kraftwerk's "electric cafe"

doug s.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2005, 08:09 pm »
    Bass...I'll add two more to the list.
      doug s. mention Michael Brook(he's a guitarist). Check out his cd.... "Cobalt Blue ".
        And one thats been around for a long time....and most people use it (but maybe some don't know about it)...Bela Fleck - "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo".
          One surprise....Scott F.  ....Snoop Dog.... :o  (who'd a thought.... :lol: )[/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2005, 08:24 pm »
        Just wanted to add another....cymbal crashes and drums....great demo cd. I have fun "blasting" this with my system, as most Raver's can confirm, and if your speakers can handle it - great !!! 8) ..... Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man ....a Telarc release (this one only)... :wink:

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2005, 11:24 pm »
          Quote from: lonewolfny42
          And one thats been around for a long time....and most people use it (but maybe some don't know about it)...Bela Fleck - "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo".

How could I forget Victor Wooten  :o  That guy is a God !!!

Quote from: lonewolfny42
          One surprise....Scott F. ....Snoop Dog.... :o (who'd a thought.... :lol: )

Don't blame me! It's these local guys I hang out with. Mike D and Kenrick are  the ones completely responsible for the corruption :lol: