BASSbassBASSbassBASSbassBASSbass

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2005, 06:16 pm »
Organist Jean Guillou: "Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition - Stravinsky, Three Dances from Petrouchka" - 1989 Dorian Recordings DOR-90117.

A great digital recording of the 1988 Kleuker-Steinmeyer organ of the Tonhalle, Zurich. Lot's of deep penetrating bass from the organ's 32' Bassoon and 32' Principalflute in the pedal division. Stereophile magazine uses this disc quite alot when measuring a loudspeaker's bass response. :wink:

ekovalsky

Re: BASSbassBASSbassBASSbassBASSbass
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2005, 04:02 am »
Quote from: John Casler

I looked all over the Music Circle for the thread about a CD with great bass and couldn't find it, but I recently came across the CD, which todate has the deepest bass of any CD, I have ever played or heard.

It is the "Original Score" from the Movie AMERICAN BEAUTY.  It is very important that you know "it is NOT the Soundtrack"

I picked this up today on your recommendation and it does not disappoint.  Definitely a must have for anyone with a true full range system :thumb:

John Casler

Re: BASSbassBASSbassBASSbassBASSbass
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2005, 04:24 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky

I picked this up today on your recommendation and it does not disappoint.  Definitely a must have for anyone with a true full range system :thumb:

Glad you liked it.  With those massive towers, I thought you would :mrgreen:

I have heard it on systems that maybe went to 30Khz and when you get the extra depth it really becomes "cavernous".

ekovalsky

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2005, 04:49 am »
Yeah, at high volumes the output from the ports (tuned to 19hz) is stunning, and I can even see the drivers moving some.  There aren't many discs that have this much very deep bass recorded at such a high level.  Great find  :D

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2005, 12:13 pm »
Big thanks for the American Beauty Original Score tip - picked that up on eBay, and listened to it for the first time this AM, driving into work, in my car.

The poor old 6X9's in the rear were just pumping!

I look forward to hearing that cd in my system at home, and waking the poor sub from its' slumber.

duff138

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2005, 08:12 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
SUNN! :thumb:

Play your gloom axe Stephen O'Malley, sub-bass clinging to the sides of the valley, sub-bass ringing in each last ditch and coomb, Greg Anderson purvey a sonic doom...

My personal fave is the droning riff "Gates Of Ballard" off White1.  

Shaking browser Sunn link

nice.  I've seen them live!!!

nathanm

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2005, 09:52 pm »
:notworthy:  What was it like?  I do wonder how well it comes off considering that one does not usually get really LOW bass in the 30Hz and below region from most PA gear, which these albums are full of.  No offense to Sunn, but I can't really figure how they could be all that interesting live considering live metal usually tends towards the upbeat material and less so ponderous, droning, audiophilish soundscape kind of thing with no drums.  I could see people walking out being bored silly.  Again, not trying to cut on them, but it just doesn't seem like live performance type of music.  Hopefully I am wrong about this! :)

So the big question is: Did you soil yourself? :wink: :P

JoeE SP9

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2005, 01:19 am »
Although it's not recorded for home audio use (it's really for mobile audio) check out Bass Mekanik v5.0. I got it from PartsXpress. Lots of really low synthesizer bass. Conventional electric 4 string or acoustic bass only goes to 41hz or so. Some of the stuff on this CD goes much lower. The sound track from The Fifth Element also sounds good when just watching the movie. The movie is kind of silly though. 8)

DeanSheen

« Reply #28 on: 3 Sep 2005, 06:20 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
:notworthy:  What was it like?  I do wonder how well it comes off considering that one does not usually get really LOW bass in the 30Hz and below region from most PA gear, which these albums are full of.  No offense to Sunn, but I can't really figure how they could be all that interesting live considering live metal usually tends towards the upbeat material and less so ponderous, droning, audiophilish soundscape kind of thing with no drums.  I could see people walking out being bored silly.  Again, not tryi ...

'
I saw them live 2wice about 2 years ago in London.  Once in a little club and once at ATP in a large ballroom.  The little club one was awesome.  The stage was high and pretty small club downtown.  they had like a couple steps up to the bar area and a little 3' wall there with like places to put your drinks.  Well me and another dude were like up against that wall about 30' feet from the stage where the bass was all trapped.  We didnt really listen as much as uhh feel the show.  It was hot as hell.

Boris opend up that show.

The ATP show (All Tomorrows Parites) at Camber Sands let the notes really ring out because the space was so big.  Opend up the sound.  I was thrilled, but the GF wasnt soo jazzed about it.  Gotta say, I still think Grimrobe Demos is the best.  

Try this for some nice ambient BASS.  It's like uhh, ambient haloween music.

Troum/Yen Pox
Mnemonic Induction
Malignant

http://www.strangefortune.com/cd.php?id=1761

Jeff S. on 25 June 2003

The ultimate dream-like ambient experience!

The album starts off with incredible low bass rumbles, and slowly blurry sounds start to rise from the depths. As the album progresses, more layers are added and substracted, building to beautiful melody-like sounds. 4 tracks, which flow into eachother very nicely, making it very good for continuous, uninterrupted listening.

The album seems to get better and better when it nears its end, which is absolutely amazing. From this collaboration came, for me, the best dark ambient album ever.

The outerworldly beautiful sounds cannot be described, you have to hear it for yourself. The whole album is very atmospheric, dream-like. It manages to keep the listener's attention by slow, but noticable changes, its all very dynamic.

This album is Troum and Yen Pox's absolute masterpiece and I cannot recommend it highly enough for those who like dark ambient.

hifitommy

deeeeeeeeeeeeep bass
« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2005, 08:52 pm »
on this:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:48420r6ar48n

one of the cuts starts descending the piano keys and DAMN!  awesome.

Parsonsk

There's bass and then there's BASS
« Reply #30 on: 7 Sep 2005, 01:02 am »
Hey guys.
you haven't heard anything yet.

Check out Kazzaa, type in bass check or bass test

The songs that come up should blow your lid off.

If you can't find anything send me a PM and i'll email the test

k.

hifitommy

pressurize your room with
« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2005, 02:11 am »
skinny puppy-the process!

hifitommy

oyeah, i fergot
« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2005, 02:48 am »
herbie hancock-dis is da drum

hifitommy

oyeah, i fergot
« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2005, 03:07 am »
herbie hancock-dis is da drum

_scotty_

« Reply #34 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:17 am »
Things that go BUMP in the night.
Just in time for Halloween I remembered Scary Music from Telarc.
Very real sounding SFX and some very deep bass. It is also kind of fun to listen to. Dual layer SACD and CD available.
http://www.telarc.com/Crossover/title.asp?gsku=0580
Scotty

WerTicus

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2005, 08:40 am »
I'm really enjoying Blue Man Groups AUDIO after reading about it in this thread.... is their newer album, the complex as good? :)

WerTicus

Re: There's bass and then there's BASS
« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2005, 08:42 am »
Quote from: Parsonsk
....Check out Kazzaa...

Great, why would you recommend people install spyware on their pc's?!

Scott F.

« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2005, 11:42 am »
Quote from: WerTicus
I'm really enjoying Blue Man Groups AUDIO after reading about it in this thread.... is their newer album, the complex as good? :)

The Complex is good but its completely different than Audio. Tell you what, go to Blockbuster and rent the concert DVD. On a good HT, that thing is great. Visually, its absolutely stunning for a rock concert.

There are four of us here in town that saw the BMG Complex tour and we all feel its THE best concert we've ever seen, bar none (guessing, my wife and I have seen somewhere around 2-300 concerts).

...but rent the DVD first. If you don't see the visual show, the music probably won't mean as much. You'll understand after you see it  :wink:

ScottMayo

« Reply #38 on: 29 Oct 2005, 03:45 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus

If you liked Audio, you have to see their live how. I have - 3 times. As good as the music is, the rest of the performance is better. (I've only seen the Boston show, so I can't really speak to the others, but I'd be willing to guess they all rock.) It goes way beyond the music, with them.

brj

« Reply #39 on: 9 Dec 2005, 07:12 am »
Quote from: jt1stcav
Organist Jean Guillou: "Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition - Stravinsky, Three Dances from Petrouchka" - 1989 Dorian Recordings DOR-90117.

A great digital recording of the 1988 Kleuker-Steinmeyer organ of the Tonhalle, Zurich. Lot's of deep penetrating bass from the organ's 32' Bassoon and 32' Principalflute in the pedal division. Stereophile magazine uses this disc quite alot when measuring a loudspeaker's bass response. :wink:

This disk looks interesting, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  As a matter of fact, I can't even load the Dorian website.  Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

Edit 1: Ok, just after I posted, I managed to find a couple of links, including one at J&R, surprisingly enough!

Edit 2: It appears that 90117 and 99117 both exist as different indexes for the same CD, with one of them being a "gold" edition.  Not clear on which is which yet...

Edit 3: Ok, no luck... found 90117 listed in a few places, but always out of stock or out of print.  Enough searching for one night.  Any leads, anyone?