HAGCLK, Wanted?

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« on: 27 May 2005, 12:10 am »
All of this work and prototyping to make a super clean low jitter VCXO for HAGDAC makes me wonder, should I offer just a plain clock?  I guess this would be just like the numerous other clocks out there (LC, Tent, Kwak, etc.), but with a hagtech twist.

My pullable VCXO doesn't have enough range yet.  But I sure can make a single frequency clean clock now!  So maybe a fixed 11.2896MHz half-kit clock?  Something you can put in old CD players to clean up the transport and S/PDIF feed to the CHIME.

Is this something anyone would want?  Or waste of time?

Maybe I can include the reference clock on the CHIME motherboard?

jh :)

papagenohyun

i woudl like to try that clock.
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 04:44 am »
hello, Jim

i am interested to use it.

my dac is rakk dac from k&k audio. and i didnot install tent labs clock.
if you can give me a change, i would like to try it to my dac.
11.2896 MHz is fine to my dac.

best

kim

topster

Definitely!
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2005, 04:53 am »
I've been searching around and waiting for something this compelling for a while now. Was considering the non-OS Ack! dac, but am holding back for maybe something better. Then I found your blog and have been following it.

yep, I want the lowest jitter clock you can put in.

Thanks Jim!

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2005, 04:26 am »
Ok, so I made one.  HAGCLK will be a 1/2-kit for $35.  Won't cost too much to populate, and it can run at various frequencies, depending on the crystal you put in.  Now if I only had the equipment to measure the resulting jitter with some accuracy.  Anyway, it will look something like this:

ngiachin

interested
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2005, 02:40 am »
If you too could help me in outfitting my Rakk DAC with your clocker, I will place an order with you immediately.

-Nik

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2005, 03:50 am »
I will place an order with you immediately.

Well, yer in luck.  Just added it to online order form.  Manual is done, webpage online now:

www.hagtech.com/hagclock.html

Ordered production run of boards, should arrive in HI in about 3 weeks.  Sign up for yours now!

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2005, 01:53 pm »
Is the Hagclock something that would work in multi-format budget players like a Sony CD/DVD/SACD player?

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2005, 06:12 pm »
Depends on the clock used.  I think the multi-types use 27MHz, which is probably a little too fast for the HagClock.  I optimized for the regular CD frequencies of 256x and 384x.

Besides, the multi-types use PLLs to re-clock to many different frequencies, which would probably negate any benefit of a HagClock.  There's quite a price to be paid for "universal" capability.

jh :(

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2005, 01:02 am »
Yoda,

Can you check in your player?  I'm curious what frequency they use for processing.  Is it 27M?  Sure can't hurt to try and build one - would have to be a slight modification to component values.

gnnett

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2005, 01:41 am »
Jim

I believe all the Sony's run 45.??MHz.

Cheers

Gn

PS: Tired of the Blogging, or fettling the Hagdac/CHIME ?

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2005, 06:26 am »
I'll open the hood this weekend.

Matt

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2005, 07:33 pm »
It looks like it is 27.0

Matt

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2005, 07:46 pm »
Hmmm, 27.  That should be possible.  I'll see what I can do.

jh

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2005, 09:23 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
... the multi-types use PLLs to re-clock to many different frequencies, which would probably negate any benefit of a HagClock.  There's quite a price to be paid for "universal" capability.

jh :(

:?: Does this mean that the HagClock might affect certain formats more or less than others, if at all?

I looked for a schematic online to see if there is any indication about how it potentially re-clocks, but couldn't find one.  The model is the Sony 5-Disc DVD/CD/SACD Changer, Model DVPNC685V, if that is any help.

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2005, 01:28 am »
Hard to say, but an additional PLL to synthesize a new frequency using dividers can add jitter.  It can also help.  My guess is that the SONY uses something like the MAX9485 (look it up) clock.  

So maybe a better reference will not help.  Maybe it will.  Considering that all output frequencies have to be created from one standard, the added flexibility is more likely to do harm.  Keep it simple.  That's why the HAGDAC is tuned for CD playback only.  I can really focus in on performance.  Nonetheless, there is a big market demand for universal players, so they exist.  The price you pay is a possible loss of performance.

It's much easier to upgrade a low-end machine than a high-end one.  Not sure if a HagClock will help you.  But I'll try and get one tuned for 27MHz.

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2005, 06:08 pm »
I'll see if I can determine the re-clocking strategy in the machine.  I read a white paper online about the sony 9000 es machine that talked about a PLL clocking strategy to eliminate jitter.

Guido Tent

• http://www.TentLabs.com
HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2005, 11:54 am »
Hard to say, but an additional PLL to synthesize a new frequency using dividers can add jitter.  It can also help.  My guess is that the SONY uses something like the MAX9485 (look it up) clock.  

So maybe a better reference will not help.  Maybe it will.  Considering that all output frequencies have to be created from one standard, the added flexibility is more likely to do harm.  Keep it simple.  That's why the HAGDAC is tuned for CD playback only.  I can really focus in on performance.  Nonetheless, th ...

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on your clock

It is my experience that 27 MHz / PLL based systems indeed do bennefit from an upgrade. PLL's well done do only add very few jitter. (if time allows, I'll do an overview on the available PLLs)

Consider the PLL IC power supply as a usefull upgrade area as well

Guido Tent

• http://www.TentLabs.com
HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2005, 11:54 am »

So maybe a better reference will not help.  Maybe it will.  Considering that all output frequencies have to be created from one standard, the added flexibility is more likely to do harm.  Keep it simple.  That's why the HAGDAC is tuned for CD playback only.  I can really focus in on performance.  Nonetheless, th ...

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on your clock

It is my experience that 27 MHz / PLL based systems indeed do bennefit from an upgrade. PLL's well done do only add very few jitter. (if time allows, I'll do an overview on the available PLLs)

Consider the PLL IC power supply as a usefull upgrade area as well

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2005, 07:22 pm »
Son of a gun.  The HagClock fired up fine at 27MHz.  Output looks pretty decent, too.  I was thinking it might be too bandwidth limited, but edges not bad.

I built without the 10pF for C17.  Everything else stock except for 27MHz crystal.

Elso Kwak

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2005, 11:33 pm »
Son of a gun.  The HagClock fired up fine at 27MHz.  Output looks pretty decent, too.  I was thinking it might be too bandwidth limited, but edges not bad.

I built without the 10pF for C17.  Everything else stock except for 27MHz crystal.

You will be in for a big surprise. :mrgreen: