HAGCLK, Wanted?

Jocko Homo

• Jocko Homo
HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2005, 11:50 pm »
This place is turning into Clock Monger Central. Only guy missing is.............

Jocko

Elso Kwak

Hahahaha
« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2005, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: Jocko Homo
This place is turning into Clock Monger Central. Only guy missing is.............

Jocko

Hahahahahahaha :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Shall I call him?

Jocko Homo

• Jocko Homo
HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2005, 06:10 pm »
Depends what you call him.

And while you are at it......don't call the clock monger wannabe, either. He already is here somewhere. In fact, the only reason that I am here is to make sure that he doesn't spead lies about us over here like he has in other places.

Jocko

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2005, 06:17 pm »
You will be in for a big surprise

Elso, don't keep us in suspense like that!  Give us a hint.

jh :)

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2005, 10:24 pm »
Good audio karma surprise, so-so surprise, or capacitor smoke-in-the-eyes surprise?

Yoda

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2005, 03:24 pm »
I'd like to give this a try.  Is there any testing is required beyond what a digital volt meter can offer?  

Read about Elso's clock, which has gotten some good results.

I have a feeling that I'll need some help identifying where to jack this thing into my player.  

I've really enjoyed building my other two Hagtech products.  The other day I was helping a friend clean up a turntable, and he thought the UFO was the coolest tool he'd ever seen for audio.

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2005, 06:25 pm »
Is there any testing is required beyond what a digital volt meter can offer?

It sure helps to have a 200MHz oscilloscope handy.  And a 7-digit frequency counter.  And a wideband ac voltmeter.   :mrgreen:

But really, I tried to make the clock as simple as possible.  Use a DVM to check power supply outputs (+/-5V).  To see if the output is toggling (we assume it has the correct frequency), measure the CLK test point and it should deliver an average dc voltage of 1/2 the output swing.  If stuck high or low, then the oscillator is not working.  This should get us a 95% confidence level.  All with a DVM.

Then, once installed into a transport, it'll work or not.  Keep the parts removed.  You never know if you want to restore original condition.

LFE

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2005, 06:52 pm »
Could I use the Hag clock in a computer for the cd-rom drive? I am building a Music only PC for storing all my CD's (ripping them lossless) and i will be using it occasionly to play back cd's.

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2005, 09:40 pm »
I have no idea what the xtal frequency is for a CD-ROM drive.  I also doubt it matters much, as the data then gets processed in software and reclocked out a USB port.  Or does the drive have an S/PDIF output?  Then HagClock might come in handy.

Make sure you have both +/-12V available.  Not sure if all PCs use the -12V supply anymore.

Elso Kwak

Hagclock
« Reply #29 on: 18 Sep 2005, 03:24 pm »
Jim your Hagclock seems to look very similar to the KWAK-CLOCK-2 Coincidence? :jester:

Elso Kwak

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2005, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
You will be in for a big surprise

Elso, don't keep us in suspense like that!  Give us a hint.

Helping a clock monger AGAIN?
No thanks, no free research from me any more!
 :nono:

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2005, 08:02 pm »
very similar to the KWAK-CLOCK-2 Coincidence?

No coincidence at all.  I started with two circuits from a 30 year old electronics reference book, one using a bipolar, the other a fet.  Obviously you did the same, as the Kwak clock (not sure which version I saw posted) was identical, minus the diode.

So yeah, we both copied the same schematic from the 60's.

However, I went further adding some new touches: the unique buffer fet connection, the LRC output filter, which reduces both noise and harmonics, and a frequency adjustment.  

jh :wink:

Elso Kwak

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2005, 08:09 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
very similar to the KWAK-CLOCK-2 Coincidence?

No coincidence at all.  I started with two circuits from a 30 year old electronics reference book, one using a bipolar, the other a fet.  Obviously you did the same, as the Kwak clock (not sure which version I saw posted) was identical, minus the diode.

So yeah, we both copied the same schematic from the 60's.

However, I went further adding some new touches: the unique buffer fet connection, the LRC output filter, which reduces both noise and harmonics, and a frequency adjustment.  

jh :wink:

The buffer is superfluous, as well as frequency adjustment. LT1016 is obsolete, your supply not suitable for a clock circuit. :o
Edit:
The comparator will add harmonics again as it produces a squarewave.

Jocko Homo

• Jocko Homo
HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2005, 03:16 pm »
I suspect that he doesn't believe you................he knows you are almost as big a practical joker as I am.

Right?

Jocko

Elso Kwak

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2005, 06:04 pm »
Quote from: Jocko Homo
I suspect that he doesn't believe you................he knows you are almost as big a practical joker as I am.

Right?

Jocko

Hi Jocko. "Almost"? I will post a schematic of KC-2 at www.diyaudio.com as this "funny" forum does not allow that. So everyone can see for themself here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=726815#post726815

hagtech

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2005, 09:58 pm »
almost as big a practical joker as I am

I must confess, I don't know Elso, other than reading a few of his many posts and contributions to other forums.  I have never contacted him for ideas, information, or schematics.  Perhaps he was joking with his accusation of plagiarism?  I don't know.  Regardless, thank you Elso for posting your schematic (it is the first time I have seen this one).  With it you prove my point.  We are both standing on the shoulders of giants.

Here are a few of the schematics I researched when beginning my design (and it wasn't for a HagClock, but rather a VCXO for HAGDAC).

Clearly, anyone can see the originations of our respective circuits.  From 30 years ago!  I would be suprised Elso, if you are trying to take credit and ownership for any such novelty.  

The HagClock design was not hatched in a matter of days, either.  It took a lot of research and experimentation on my part to get to where I wanted.  I built over a dozen variations, some shown below.

Eventually, I came up with the unusual buffer configuration.  It reduces the effects of loading and reverse transfer of comparator input switching glitches.  Combined with the inductively coupled output, I was able to obtain the purest sinewave possible.  

Ok, so what do our circuits have in common?  A sine wave oscillator neither of us invented, and an output comparator to square up edges.  The schematic of a Kwak Clock I had seen used a very similar Maxim comparator (and TL431 based regulators).  So what?  

Are there better comparators than the LT1016?  Perhaps.  And I looked at a number of them.  But my requirements (half-kit DIY) prevented me from selecting a surface mount part, which precluded use of just about everything newer than the LT1016.  It also had to be a part available from Digi-Key.  As such, my choices were severely limited.  So I went with the best possible solution for the application.  Besides, I had used this part before and was familiar with it.  Any comment claiming "obsolete" is disengenuous, as these parts are still manufactured by LT.

Elso, you also opine that the supply regulators are not suitable, but refuse to back up your claim.  I admit, you have a valid point here in that clock circuits must often start up very fast.  The low noise filters on the reference voltages do add some significant startup delay.  I minimized this achieving less than 100ms.  And as stated in the assembly manual, if it proves problematic, the solution is to replace these capacitors with lower values.  I wanted to preserve as much performance with the stock design, sacrificing only when necessary.

In short, any claims of plagiarism or copyright infringement are clearly baseless and paranoid.  

jh :|

Occam

HAGCLK, Wanted?
« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2005, 10:02 pm »
Quote from: Elso Kwak
.....Hi Jocko. "Almost"? I will post a schematic of KC-2 at www.diyaudio.com as this as this "funny" forum does not allow that....

Hi Elso,

"funny" forum???? I resemble that remark. :(
Of course you can post pictures and schematics here. If you'd like, I can post the schematic of the Kwak-Clock 7 right here. Then you could simply click on the 'quote' button to see the code.