A Wishlist of AKSA Products

bluesky

« on: 1 Apr 2003, 01:04 am »
Dear AKSA audio community,

This is a follow on from Raj's thread but I thought it might be worthwhile for Hugh for some of us to list what we would like to see as possible future products. :idea:

Of course I realise that Hugh can't possibly do everything as a one person business.  In order for new products to appear, Hugh would need to be in the lab, not in the shop making up parcels and at the computer answering simple questions (I am guilty of this! :oops: ).  But I for one would be happy for  Hugh to be doing what he does best - designing and innovating new audio products for the world.  

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box.  

I would like to see:

1) A subwoofer kit to compliment the Aksonics speakers,

2) A centre channel speaker kit, magnetically shielded, again to compliment the Aksonics,

3) An active crossover kit for biamping,

4) The DAC kit as already mentioned by Raj,

5) AKSA gold or silver plated lettering so I can proudly display my amplifiers to visitors to my home. :D

6) Gold or silver knobs to complement the lettering.

There are other things like cable kits, line conditioners etc but these may not be within the scope of this thread.  It would be great to have well researched accessories available to build a complete system where everything works synergistically.  :o  

A full product line like this would certainly go beyond the bounds of Hugh's current business arrangement but, as I said before, I would prefer to see Hugh using his remarkable skills in the lab rather than filling up cardboard boxes for us.  Perhaps in the future?  :?:

I hope Hugh gets the opportunity to continue development of even more audio products and that I am not putting unneccessary pressure on a very busy person, they are just suggestions that might help future directions.

Cheers,

Bluesky

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2003, 02:14 am »
As my momma use to say, "want in one hand, spit in the other and see which one fills up faster"...... :lol: ....j/k....good suggestions but I think it will be a while before you will these requests filled if ever. It is tough for a small business to turn out such products on a dime.   Good suggestions though.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2003, 02:57 am »
Guys,

I'm working on it;  I'd say the sub, the center channel speaks, the DAC, the AKSA badge are all achievable within maybe a year.  Some of these are almost hot to trot right now.

The active crossover is on my mind, too, but I will be going digital all the way.  I have never like analog crossovers, not even passives.

Cheers,

Hugh

bluesky

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2003, 05:35 am »
Hugh, that is fantastic news about these upcoming additions to the AKSA stable of audio dream machines :mrgreen: .  I really don't know how you do it all! :o

It is easy to see that there is a hell of a lot of support for AKSA.   I could call it brand loyalty but it is more than just a bit of consumerism and marketing.  Building the product yourself and communicating directly with the designer makes it much more personal and develops real pride of ownership.

I want all the AKSA I can get  :D   My dream for the future is to be able to build my whole audio system myself and, quite honestly, I would like the whole lot to be AKSA if at all possible :wink:

I hope that this message gets through before the whole forum goes down, I think it might be due to an alien virus, only happens on the first of April apparently.

Bluesky from sunny Brisbane

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2003, 06:49 am »
Hi Hugh

Don't forget the head amp!!

EchiDna

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2003, 12:54 pm »
a high powered sub amp with variable crossover ;-)

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2003, 05:00 pm »
Is the new DAC going to be called "DACSA" ? :)

I've never owned 2 pieces of equipment by the same manufacturer.  It's just never worked out that way.  Maybe one day...  If things work out the way I hope financially, it may be the first time I have a 'matching' amp and preamp.
(fingers crossed)

Seano

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2003, 11:34 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna

To take the pressure off Hugh a little bit here why don't you check out Redgum Audio's new range of sub amps incl. a forthcoming 900W digital monster........www.redgumaudio.com

Othwise I'm quite happy with what Hugh has proposed for the future. It makes his range almost complete when you think about it.

2 pre's, phono-pre, 2 powers, floorstander speakers plus DAC.

Useful editions would be a headphone amp, sub amp, centre and bookshelf speakers. Although perhaps no point doing AV speakers until there is an AV 6 channel amp variant..........

Personally I'm very keen on the DAC but then I'm also keen on a Option 2 GK-1  (still a clumsy nomenclature system for the pre, Hugh....how about GK-1, GK-2 and GK-3?) and another 100W Nirvana. And none of that is going to happen over night.

Unless Hugh is interested in a well renovated 1980 Range Rover... :tempted:

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2003, 12:00 am »
Seano,

Thank you for your comments;  I like the idea of GK-1, 2 and 3.  I think this is the go.  I'll think about it a few days then do something on the site, which I just changed last night.   :oops:

Yes, a six channel is a great idea, one that I'm heading towards.  I'd do it with scaled-up 55W modules.

A 1980 Range Rover, huh?  Surely, you mean an Olds V8, from 1965, purchased by Kevin Beattie, chief engineer for Rover at that time, from GM as a cast-off?  They were unable to gravity cast the Al heads, so too expensive, they sold the design for $US1M.  Rover went ahead and pressure cast the heads to solve the problem - and jack up the price.

Sadly that motor never took kindly to emission controls, and it took enlargement to the 4.6HSE and fuel injection before it delivered decent performance.

I am presently looking for an early eighties Datsun Sunny for my daughter, now at Uni.  I have a very good warmed A15 Nissan motor I can slot in.  Since I am a city dweller, I have no need of 4WD.  In fact, I learned to drive in a 1953 Land Rover, which was, in my opinion, a very ordinary vehicle.  I believe the Rangie is better......

But thank you for the offer, Seano.  I will ask around.  Price?

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2003, 01:07 am »
Quote from: Seano
Quote from: EchiDna

To take the pressure off Hugh a little bit here why don't you check out Redgum Audio's new range of sub amps incl. a forthcoming 900W digital monster........www.redgumaudio.com

i wanna DIY ;-) other than that, the redgum looks great... perhaps the aussie amplifiers 800 watt kit could be a goer...  :idea:

Seano

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2003, 06:51 am »
Oh well it was worth a try!! :D

Yes it has the Buick heritage plus a healthy dose of English pedigree.  I agree they were somewhat asthmatic in their original form but I severly doubt there are many that are many of this vintage that are original - and mine is no different. A 1980 body with a 1985 motor that has seen a new cam, pistons and a free flow exhaust. Result is a healthy dose of noise and movement when you exercise the right foot. Sadly, I don't really need it and it is keeping me from other projects........but I still haven't finished it :evil:  :evil: Just the fiddly interior bits to go. How much? Nine thousand would be nice. Just to prevent me from being severly embarrased by the bank manager...........I've spent far, far too much. Dammit :oops:

One thing it does need is a decent stereo...........how about figuring out a 2X40W AKSA on one PCB (sandwiched between two heatsinks) which will manage on 12V??

SamL

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2003, 09:42 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Guys,

I'm working on it;  I'd say the sub, the center channel speaks, the DAC, the AKSA badge are all achievable within maybe a year.  Some of these are almost hot to trot right now.

The active crossover is on my mind, too, but I will be going digital all the way.  I have never like analog crossovers, not even passives.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

What about a headphone amp? What about mod the TLP to make it a preamp that can be a headphone amp?

Sam

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2003, 10:10 pm »
HI Sam,

Maybe.  But sorry Sam, not at this stage.

There are presently three products under development;  the Option 3 GK-1 (almost done), the 200W AKSA, and the DACSA.

It is ill-advisded to fight a war on four fronts;  I'm stretched too thin, the cost is prohibitive, and I must sacrifice service to my customers.

I can say that a headphone amp would require a totally different topology, and would likely not be a big seller.

Cheers,

Hugh

gonefishin

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2005, 09:20 pm »
Hugh, any word on the 200Watt Aksa?  Will this be designed to have a similar sound (and gain) as the 25n+ that I built?  Projected price?

thanks a bunch,

dan

jules

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:29 am »
Interesting to see this thread resumed after so long ...

While this isn't exactly a new product wish, I'd like to see a successful launch of the Swift and AKSA amps primarily for Hugh but also for the long term interests of Aksaphiles.

I'd also like to see a consistent and distinctive design for the cases of all these amps that would be suitable to grace the finest living rooms in the land. Clearly the amps are technically in that category but things have come a long way from the time when it was possible to buy a TLP and an AKSA 55 together for less than $1,000. A swift and a fully built  AKSA 100N+ is going to be something like $5-6,000 and at that price they leave the realm of being one persons hobby and become a household purchase. Commercial Aksas are going to have to appeal to wives, partners, children and even guests. I think there's some way to go here.

In a Utopian sense I'd like to see some of the practicalities of AKSA development shared [Hugh willing] by those of us in the forum to help take some load off Hugh as well as making use of the huge pool of skills here.

Finally, I have no idea why such trivia stays in the mind but ... the F 85 Olds V8 was also the base for Jack Brabhams F1 successful engine, the strength of which was mainly its relaibility rather than its outright power. [Why on earth do I remember such insignificant facts and then lose my car keys on a regular basis].

jules

tl1000sv

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:36 am »
Strong second for 200 watt AKSA.

It seems like one option would be to arrange case templates with metalworks in geographically attractive locations.  Then one could order a case at low cost & shipping, precut and drilled to spec.

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2005, 01:48 am »
Perhaps Hugh might entertain the idea of a case design contest.
1st prize....hmmmm!
Martin

Seano

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:46 am »
I too await a successful commercial launch of the Swift. It certainly is in the interests of all AKSA owners that Hugh's foray into retail is a long and financially fruitful one. Unfortunately, without a retail presence, our kit amps are just that......to the outside world. However, if AKSA occupies the same retail stratosphere as Halcro, Metaxas and Redgum (to name a few Oz made amplification products on the retail market) then its another ball game.

Whether the Swift sets the case design world on fire is a moot point. Whilst it probably won't set the world on fire for innovation it certainly won't be as visually confronting as some of the new wave of valve based product.  In truth I haven't seen the final product but I've been given an inkling...........think class before kitsch.  More like a piece of fine furniture than 'look at me' I suspect.

To be honest, I'd like to see Hugh consolidate for a bit.  2005 is probably going to see something of a flurry of new AKSA product (stuff that has already been well drooled over by us dreamers) and I suspect the bloke could do with a sit back and quiet smile once that is done.  And rely on the rest of us to throw a bit of cash his way for the new stuff.  Without that cash, it's a bit tough to design, develop and distribute new toys. It's a chicken and egg prospect.

jules

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2005, 06:11 am »
It would be helpful if new additions to the kit line open up a flurry of orders and I reckon that going "furniture" rather than high tech [for the look of the Swift] makes good sense in that it exploits a niche that isn't being used so much by others.

At the same time the Swift is going to look very different to the 100N+ and the 55N+ is still without a box so the central point I was making is that all these units should have something about them that is distinctive and links them [the closest attempt to this so far is Rom's set. The "Tassie" set also has a lot of class] so that one glance at any of them says "AKSA" in some strong way.

Maybe Martin has a good idea there and it would be great to see the resources of the forum putting weight behind something like this. At the same time I think we are all drifting off the key issue here and I'd like to see the topic get back to serious consideration of the merits of the alloy Olds F85 V8.

jules

zachslc

« Reply #19 on: 9 Feb 2005, 03:01 pm »
I'd like an AKSA espresso machine.

Hear hear on the active x-over.