A Wishlist of AKSA Products

Felipe

« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2005, 03:43 pm »
The Daksa surelly looks promising, i think Hugh is puting quite an effort on it. It is being designed with no compromises, wich means that it is meant to "beat the bests". Price tag ???

Apart from that, i dont think its a good idea to inovate "away" from what Aspen is all about : amplifiers !
Both AKSA and GK-1 are excellent products, future investments should try to upgrade these equipments, or launch similar ones, and march towards Retail market.

After all, we dont see Sonus Faber & Proac making Dacs and preamps, or even Mark Levinson launching loudspeakers....

dayneger

« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:37 pm »
Hey guys,

How loud do guys play your music?  Or are your speakers 80db?  I personally see no need for a 200W AKSA since I don't even remotely come close to using the potential of my 100N with my not very efficient (approximately 86db) monitors.  But then, I've never been able to hang with the headbanger crowd! :wink:

For me general trends are the integration of music and home theater systems, including the ability to quickly tune the system for the purpose.  I have to admit, though--last night I had a hard time sleeping so I went into the living room at about 3am to hear some relaxing tunes.  Apparently a book had hit the remote and triggered the GK-1R's HT-bypass, so when I hit the play button I almost got blown into the neighboring apartment! :o I'm sure they were very psyched about my insomnia. . . :oops:  Nonetheless I think that seemless integration is the way to go, at least for those of us who don't have separate dedicated rooms.

Hugh already knows of my interest in the AKSenter, which is probably just a niche product to enhance the AKSonics, and the DAKSA.  New for me is the trend for HTPCs.  I'm seriously toying with pulling my songs over an ethernet network with something like a SqueezeBox and running it into the DAKSA.  Here I would like to have 2 inputs, one for netplay and one for normal CD/DVD transports, and 2 outputs for driving the different zones in my apartment.

The whole area of power conditioning is a total mystery to me.  A kit in that area, or even a recommendation of a solid product that synergizes well with the rest of the Aspen products, would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Dayne

jules

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:02 pm »
You reckon 200W is excessive ... how about this?

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page2IB-Gallery.html

The idea here seems to be that you hide these things in your ceiling ... invite some unsuspecting friends over, then astonish them when you produce your HUGE .......  :o  :o

I particularly liked the suggested option of mounting one of these in a window ... hello neighbours!!!

On the issue of 200W amps, I can't see the point myself particularly since 90db plus speakers are now common. There is the issue of producing low frequency [below say 40Hz] which does take a heap more power at the same level, but a [EDIT: modest  :!: ]  powered sub looks like a better and more focused option than a huge amp. Certainly I can't imagine a 200W amp would have a big market.

jules

Seano

« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2005, 05:00 am »
:o  :o  :o oh dear. Perhaps this is what happens when Hyundai tinkerers/tuners grow old.

Imagine how thrilled you'd be when your neighbour fires up his collection of twelve 20 inch woofers all reproducing frequencies below 40Hz in some lunatic action film.......at over 100dB.......when they are placed in the roofspace.

F-a-a-a-a-a-n-tastic.

Excuse me.........neighbour :uzi:

Rod

• http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~rodneynoble/
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2005, 09:05 pm »
Actually 200W is about spot on for IB as they use the amps clipping circuit to avoid over excursion.

I'm considering IB myself, the stats and experiences from users is apparently the best bass they've ever heard and I'm lucky enough to be starting from scratch with a new HT extension :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2005, 09:44 am »
I'd like to see a 200 watt AKSA N+.....  :dance:

jules

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2005, 09:38 pm »
Rod, I have to admit I don't know what an IB is.

Rod and Lonewolf, would a triamp "AKSA 100/55/25N+" or AKSA 200/55/25N+" be a better option?

I understand that Hugh is wrestling mentally with crossover issues for such systems but the advantages would seem to be that a tweeter would be better served by a dedicated 25W amp and the amp for the bass end of a system is not as critical. This would mean that the existing 100W amp could be used or maybe a new 200W for bass alone would be an easier proposition ... or am I woofing up the wrong tree?

Jules

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:08 am »
Quote from: jules
Rod, I have to admit I don't know what an IB is.

Rod and Lonewolf, would a triamp "AKSA 100/55/25N+" or AKSA 200/55/25N+" be a better option?

I understand that Hugh is wrestling mentally with crossover issues for such systems but the advantages would seem to be that a tweeter would be better served by a dedicated 25W amp and the amp for the bass end of a system is not as critical. This would mean that the existing 100W amp could be used or maybe a new 200W for bass alone would be an easier proposition ... or am I woofing up the wrong tree?

Jules
IB is Infinite Baffle ....read the link you posted.
    As for your suggestion about a triamp as a better option...beats me. I'd just like to see a 200 watt AKSA model....I've got some power hungry speakers.... :lol: [/list:u]

jules

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:47 am »
:oops:, hadn't made the connection! I was more struck by the excessiveness of many of the examples than the possible advantages in terms of sound quality.

jules