Finally moved house.

toocool4

Finally moved house.
« on: 29 Jun 2024, 05:46 pm »
Just enjoying music for the first time in about 2 weeks, just moved house and I have been painting / decorating, and the Hi-Fi was packed away.

Just beginning to put the Hi-Fi back together, still need to finish setup which is why you can see tape on the floor. Waiting for a rug to arrive etc, still nice to be able to enjoy a bit of music after not having the stereo for a while.

I was worried as to what the system will sound like with a lot of hard surfaces and wooden floor etc, until I had had a chance to treat some of the surfaces etc. I needn’t had worried. I have to say this is the best my system has ever sounded, even though the setup is not complete. Having more room to play with is nice. Being able to get the speaker well away from the boundaries has really helped. The speakers are sitting 2.1M from the front wall, 2.3M apart and 1M from the sidewalls. I am sitting 2.5M away from the speakers.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Re: Finally moved house.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2024, 06:21 pm »
Looks good cool :guitar:
Enjoy your new home.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2024, 09:46 am »
Thanks max190

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2024, 11:37 am »
We'll be moving soon.  The new place is closer to kids and doctors, cuter, and smaller.  The new listening room will be a definite down-grade (smaller, windows, only partially insulated).  But my ears aren't what they used to be either. 

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2024, 12:14 pm »
Congratulations on getting a house, toocool4.Let crank up the music,you are King of the Castle now!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2024, 03:52 pm »
Thanks guys, but I don’t think I will be cranking the music up too much I want to keep on the correct side of the neighbours.  :wink:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2024, 09:50 pm »
That looks great.
That area where you put the rack looks made for it.
That's probably why you bought the place.

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2024, 11:10 am »
SteveFord, that space worked out perfectly.  :green: The big-ish room is one of the reasons i bought the place.  :thumb:

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2024, 09:14 pm »
Spent a bit more time dialling in the system. I now have a rug between me and the speakers. Changed out the feet that came with the speaker to my normal Symposium Rollerblock Jr’s.
I also added some GIK acoustic panels I had from my previous room. I will live with this arrangement for a while and see how I feel, before I change anything else around.

The room / rest of the house is still working in progress, since I am back at work, I only have evenings and weekends to work in the house. I don’t always want to do any work after a day’s work and some weekends I want to do something else.

Couple of pictures from my sitting position and from the speaker position.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2024, 09:32 pm »
What a clean setup.Again, congrats.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2024, 09:40 pm »
Thanks, so far so good  :D

toocool4

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2024, 10:46 am »
I am really enjoying my music more. I am re-discovering my music; it’s amazing that the only thing that has changed is the room but it sounds like a much better system. I have always maintained the room is a good 50% of what you hear.  8)

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2024, 11:51 am »
Hi,

I wish I had  great room like you have for listening to my system :).

Cheers Rod

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2024, 05:07 pm »
Added a couple of plants to my room, but they are looking a bit lonely. I may have to add more.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2024, 12:42 pm »
Well we finally moved into a smaller house after raising 5 kids.  New place is nice enough but my listening room is way too small.  Amazing how a 20% reduction results in the listening triangle getting half as big.  Mid-field is now near-field.  And no place for my 10 2' x 4' absorption panels.  The ottoman is against the server.  Ugh!

toocool4

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2024, 03:01 pm »
JLM, sorry to hear about the smaller listening room. On the other hand, near field listening is also good as you get to minimise a lot of the room, and get more direct sound.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2024, 09:16 pm »
I like your room toocool4.

Small houses and rooms can be a challenge, I had to think outside the box.

I bought my 750 sq ft post war house, yes that's not a typo, the entire house is 750 sq ft, twelve years ago. The house hadn't been remodeled in 62 years and needed everything done. After a total gut and rebuild it is now a new house inside and out. The original 11' x 17' living room felt cramped and claustrophobic so with a sketch pad and a martini I decided to remove the center bearing wall. Here are the results.

The original 11' x 17' living room, the in-wall heater still worked.

toocool4

« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2024, 09:47 pm »
Oh, Wow WGH. You have done a lot of work on that house, looks good.  :thumb:

I would like to really treat my room and I would like to use products from Acoustic Fields, but I am looking at; at least £15k - £20k to do what I would like. Not sure when that will happen, since I have only just moved into the house. I still need a new kitchen and bathroom, they are far more pressing than the listening room. So doing the listening room is a long way down the line.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2024, 10:46 pm »
Oh, Wow WGH. You have done a lot of work on that house, looks good.  :thumb:

I would like to really treat my room and I would like to use products from Acoustic Fields, but I am looking at; at least £15k - £20k to do what I would like. Not sure when that will happen, since I have only just moved into the house. I still need a new kitchen and bathroom, they are far more pressing than the listening room. So doing the listening room is a long way down the line.

Hi toocool4, Vicoustic panels are worth checking out.They are located in Portugal.
https://vicoustic.com/

toocool4

« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2024, 02:35 pm »
Hi Mariusz Uszynski, thanks for your suggestion I have heard good things about Vicoustic.
I have very much made up my mind I will be going for Acoustic Fields once everything else I need to do is done.
I have already made a mistake going cheap with GIK, I don’t want to make a mistake next time as that would be silly. GIK looks good, but only of average performance Vicoustic looks more of the same.
Acoustic Fields guarantee their own work as long as you carry out everything according to their design, I would rather pay more and if they screw up they will fix it or give me my money back. This way I get something that works or my money back.