Is Jazz on the radio disappearing?

audiojerry

« on: 30 Apr 2005, 07:27 am »
Other than some occassional classical, and even less classic rock, all I listen to is straight ahead jazz (no, not smooth jazz), when I listen to the radio for music. But when I travel, very rarely can I find a jazz station, even on the top of the dial like 88.9 or 91.5, etc. Not even Chicago supports a full time jazz station anymore.

Milwaukee used to have two stations for jazz; now there is only one, which will soon stop operating as a full time jazz format.

How many other cities still have a jazz station?

I guess I'll have to give in to satellite radio.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2005, 08:01 am »
88.1 out of Long Beach (basically LA) here in SoCal is a full time non-profit jazz and blues station.  If you're in the area and like lounge music, 690 on the AM dial does it.

Figo

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2005, 11:10 am »
89.3 in maryland plays a lot of blues/jazz... but they talk a whole lot to :/

its pretty much the only station I listen to.. no commercials and all

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:07 pm »
Here in the Philadelphia area we are down to one station, 90.9 an NPR affiliate.  They play chestnut classical during the day and smooth jazz at night.  From what I can tell, all their DJ's are literally in their late 80's and 90's, so within the next couple of years we may be in for some new influences or the station may just go off air.   Other than a couple of "slotted shows" on college stations, that's about it for either genre, pretty sad...

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:10 pm »
The St Louis area has one 'decent' jazz station, 88.7 WSIE. It's run by one of the local colleges SIUE (Southern Illinios U, Edwardsville). It's a pretty good station.

Tweaker

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:20 pm »
FM radio is a disaster for anyone who enjoys Jazz and Blues. Here in Seattle the market is dominated by "Soft Favorites" type of stations that play these mind numbingly bad pop songs over and over and over, ad infinitium. It's sickening. Then of course there are the morning radio shows like one station that has the "Mitch and Lisa!" morning show which is nothing more than three hours of mindless blather. A few minutes of listening to these stations makes me feel like I've died and gone to hell. Anyone who wants to get a sense of how far our culture has sunk only has to listen to  FM radio for a couple of hours. The sad thing is that there is even a market for it. There is a public radio jazz station here, KPLU but because it's NPR there is a long break for news, commentary,etc. in the mornings and afternoons. If I want to listen to music during those hours my only real choice is a commercial classical music station. The rest is utter crap. I just cannot stomach pop, or so called "smooth jazz". Satellite radio is looking better and better.

zane9

Re: Is Jazz on the radio disappearing?
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:28 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry

How many other cities still have a jazz station?

Here in Toronto we have a terrific jazz station...CJRT, operating 24/7 on FM band. Financed through a combo of listener support and advertising.

Check it out: http://www.cjrtfm.com

PeteG

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:31 pm »
In Denver we have only one great jazz station, JAZZ 89.3 (KUVO).
The main reason I tune in, it has a good mix (when I have time to listen).

JAZZ 89.3

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:44 pm »
All we have in New Mexico is "smooth jazz" aka Musak.  They always ask me to advertise and I always tell them that when they start playing real jazz, I'll think about it.  And they say "but we have great demographics" and I say "maybe, but they're not paying attention!"  Real jazz is already dead here.  And the last classical station, once considered to be the best in the nation is on life support since the parent company doesn't see it as a big money maker.  XM and Sirius will kill the rest as jazz/classical aficionados seek out alternatives.

maxwalrath

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2005, 02:56 pm »
out of curiosity, how much of a stake do big radio station corporations have in satellite radio?  just wondering....

with each radio station sounding more and more alike, those that like almost any type of music except *crap* don't have much choice but to pay for satellite.

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2005, 04:06 pm »
Radio here in Boston is so bad I sold my Dynalab Etude Tuner 3 years ago.

Den

zachslc

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2005, 05:38 pm »
Are there any commercial jazz stations anymore?  It seems like what jazz remains on the waves is through university/NPR stations.  

There's one in Salt Lake (KUER 90.1, NPR affiliate out of the U. of Utah) that plays night time jazz.  It used ot be pretty good but I have stopped listening because recently every time I tune in they are playing "smooth jazz". There is no worse cliche than bad jazz on public radio.

On the bright side our one classical-only station (KBYU 89.1, from Brigham Young U.) is excellent (they play vinyl!).  The only downside is that their Sunday programming is mostly religious.

audiojerry

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2005, 06:41 pm »
This thread confirms my perceptions, and it's all too depressing. On the bright side, there seems to be a small emergence of jazz appreciation from the younger gens 25 and under. Not big, but maybe enough to sustain and perhaps revitalize the art. I've heard some pretty good young jazz musicians recently, and a few good female vocalists. Maybe the young folks are getting so bored with the crap being forced on them for so long that they are seeking better alternatives in music. I honestly don't know how so much of the masses don't value music as an essential part of life and just tolerate all this noise played on the radio foisted as music.

PS: I've listened to KPLU on the internet, and it's a pretty good station. They actively support and promote jazz, not just play it.

beat

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2005, 06:43 pm »
Quote from: John Ashman
Real jazz is already dead here.  And the last classical station, once considered to be the best in the nation is on life support since the parent company doesn't see it as a big money maker...

This is true and very sad. The khfm website states it is still the highest rated classical station in the country. It would be nice if I could ever pick it up!! doug s. helped me set up my rooftop antenna and I still cant get it worth a crap even with a great "tuna". It is of little wonder that the stations that play good music are dying. Who supports them? Generous people like you and me.  :roll:  I seem to have misplaced my checkbook.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2005, 07:24 pm »
I have to second the nod for KUVO 89.3 in Denver.  It's all Jazz all the time.  They play a great mix.  It's the only station I listen to in the car and I drive a lot.

bikeman

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2005, 08:06 pm »
Here in Syracuse, we have NPR (Jazz 88.3).

http://www.waer.org/

But my preferred method is Internet Radio.  

http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?sgenre=Jazz

I have my favorites but it's always good to give a listen and pick out what ya like.  The good one's are commercial free and don't cost a cent unless you wish to donate.  

David

bixby

I third KUVO, Denver
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2005, 01:04 am »
Excellent sound for a radio station.  And they had a big presence at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  It is the only radio station in Denver that doesn't suffer from severe compressionitis!  Aside from the classical station.

Bravo to KUVO!

Reference Audio Mods

• http://www.referenceaudiomods.com
Re: I third KUVO, Denver
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2005, 04:27 am »
Here in Detroit, we have 1 full time pure Smooth Jazz station (V98.7) http://wvmv.com/

Detroit has some (if not the best) radio personalities around. I have traveled to many large cities around the nation and alot of stations are pretty weak in that area (with Las Vegas probably ranking among the worst I have seen).  

We also have a NPR station that plays jazz. Windsor Ontario also hosts some radio stations, and among some of them there is a couple classical stations.

Thanks!

warnerwh

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2005, 05:47 am »
In Portland we have KMHD 89.1. Excellent jazz station playing all types of jazz except smooth jazz.  The broadcast quality is also excellent, you can clearly hear when vinyl is playing, dynamics are very good too.  My favorite station.  I'm surprised by the consensus here, makes me feel very fortunate.

sts9fan

88.9 in Boston WERS
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2005, 11:58 am »
Great sation.  Jazz at lunch and GREAT reggae at drive time.