At what SPL do X-Statik start to distort?

tomlinmgt

At what SPL do X-Statik start to distort?
« on: 4 Oct 2023, 01:37 pm »
I have a fairly large listening space at 19x26 with vaulted ceiling 8' to 14'.  It's fully treated to optimize acoustics so there is zero ringing but not totally dead (lots of diffusion over absorptive walls). Listening spot location can be anywhere from 10-15' from speakers when they're 4-6' (or more) away from front wall.  I've found that I like to listen at around 90-95db with peaks around 100db measured at listening spot which, in this large room, can require most of the speakers I've tried that use "small" drivers to be pushed to output levels beyond their range of clean output. High sensitivity speakers that have horn loaded mid/highs and a big low frequency driver like my Altec 19's or Klipsch CF-4's are much better suited to this scenario.  I also use four 15" subs at the back of the room (two modified JBL 4648's).  I have a large assortment of amps both SS and tubes so adequate clean power is not an issue.  I have the x-statik kit with all upgrades and am about ready to start building, but don't want to commit until I'm confident they can play to satisfying output levels in a room as large as mine.

Michael
Mansfield, TX

BrandonB

Re: At what SPL do X-Statik start to distort?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2023, 04:09 pm »
I have a fairly large listening space at 19x26 with vaulted ceiling 8' to 14'.  It's fully treated to optimize acoustics so there is zero ringing but not totally dead (lots of diffusion over absorptive walls). Listening spot location can be anywhere from 10-15' from speakers when they're 4-6' (or more) away from front wall.  I've found that I like to listen at around 90-95db with peaks around 100db measured at listening spot which, in this large room, can require most of the speakers I've tried that use "small" drivers to be pushed to output levels beyond their range of clean output. High sensitivity speakers that have horn loaded mid/highs and a big low frequency driver like my Altec 19's or Klipsch CF-4's are much better suited to this scenario.  I also use four 15" subs at the back of the room (two modified JBL 4648's).  I have a large assortment of amps both SS and tubes so adequate clean power is not an issue.  I have the x-statik kit with all upgrades and am about ready to start building, but don't want to commit until I'm confident they can play to satisfying output levels in a room as large as mine.

Michael
Mansfield, TX

That is a nice room!

tomlinmgt

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2023, 04:30 pm »

That is a nice room!

Thank you. Took about 18 mo to complete. I contracted the construction of the fundamental structure, but the entire finish out is DIY including the acoustic treatments. I did get some help with the electrical, however.  Most of the acoustic treatments are built into the walls, but I have some mobile devices (broadband absorption panels and QRD diffusers) I can use to fine tune as speaker choice and location changes.

Glady86

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2023, 06:21 pm »
You should look for a pair of used LS 9. I'd think most other GR Research speakers won't reach extreme loud levels without compression and distortion, maybe the NX-Extreme would work also.

I am also curious about the output capabilities of GR Research speakers, maybe Danny will answer the question. I have the NX Oticas they go plenty loud enough for me without issue.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2023, 08:23 pm »
Your listening room is spectacular.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2023, 08:35 pm »
You should look for a pair of used LS 9. I'd think most other GR Research speakers won't reach extreme loud levels without compression and distortion, maybe the NX-Extreme would work also.

I am also curious about the output capabilities of GR Research speakers, maybe Danny will answer the question. I have the NX Oticas they go plenty loud enough for me without issue.

I'd be all over a set of LS9's if a set were to pop up anywhere within a day's drive.  I do have Infinity QLS-1's, but they need a little work.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2023, 08:35 pm »
Your listening room is spectacular.

Thank you

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2023, 09:53 pm »
First of all, nice room!

I've heard the X-Statik and X-Voce combination in a really good theater system hit levels like that. It was pretty scary, but they breezed right through it.

If I put the X-Statik in that room, I would pull them another 4 feet or more out into the room. Just being closer to the speakers will gain you about 1.5db or more. Plus it will make the sound stage much deeper.

The X-Statik will be a lot more transparent and image in a way that those big speakers never will. The X-Statik can be really dynamic too, but level beyond or even up to 100db is going to result in some hearing loss if repeated a lot. While they can do that, I would not recommend it. You are also near the limits of the speaker.

If you roll the bottom end off of them you would more than double how loud you can play them, and for those types of peaks it will be a must.

On another note we've had those Klipsch Epic CF4's in for an upgrade. We smoothed them out and cleaned them up.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2023, 11:10 pm »
First of all, nice room!

I've heard the X-Statik and X-Voce combination in a really good theater system hit levels like that. It was pretty scary, but they breezed right through it.

If I put the X-Statik in that room, I would pull them another 4 feet or more out into the room. Just being closer to the speakers will gain you about 1.5db or more. Plus it will make the sound stage much deeper.

The X-Statik will be a lot more transparent and image in a way that those big speakers never will. The X-Statik can be really dynamic too, but level beyond or even up to 100db is going to result in some hearing loss if repeated a lot. While they can do that, I would not recommend it. You are also near the limits of the speaker.

If you roll the bottom end off of them you would more than double how loud you can play them, and for those types of peaks it will be a must.

On another note we've had those Klipsch Epic CF4's in for an upgrade. We smoothed them out and cleaned them up.

Thanks for the compliment Danny.  I try to keep upper listening levels in the low to mid-90's, but am inclined to stomp on the gas if the mood and music compel me to do so. I'm a drummer and am conditioned to "feeling" the music...percussion in particular...so that's just what it takes to get my juices going. I've worn hearing protection all of my adult life when I play, but  even still the sonic energy coming off of real drums or a bass cabinet is a tactile sensation that you experience even if you're deaf.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, that's what I strive for from my systems...that tactile element from the lows all the way up to the highs that punches and pokes at your body. Of course, sound stage and image resolution  are high on my priority list, as well. As is scale...as in life like proportions of sonic images and content...and quick transients and clarity. I'll give the x-Statiks a go, but I suppose with everything I just said and given my room scenario, I should be hard selling myself on NX-Tremes. Lol

Regarding the CF-4's, I'm currently having a friend rebuild the networks after I spotted a few bulging caps and scorched resistors on the LF board. Didn't change any values for the caps, but did go with better pieces like 20w wire wound resistors rather than the sand 10w stock pieces. For box speakers I think the CF-4's are pretty remarkable, although I do prefer them with  4db cut in the 2-4kHz range.  They reproduce distorted electric guitar in such a way that it sounds ike I have a Marshall stack in the room, and the D'apolitto array creates impressive image resolution and sound stage dimensionality.
But, that said, they aren't dipoles so they don't quite do the types of things I heard from Acoustat Spectra 22's I once owned or even some simple DIY OB designs I dabbled with. I've heard the NX-Tremes at LSAF but it was just a few songs. That said, it was some of the best hifi I've ever heard, if not the best. I feel like that's where I'll need to go if I want all those characteristics that are important to me. The x-Statik kit was purchased when I had a smaller room and it was good deal being second hand. I'll likely give em a go just to experience them for a while.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2023, 02:40 pm »
Thanks for the compliment Danny.  I try to keep upper listening levels in the low to mid-90's, but am inclined to stomp on the gas if the mood and music compel me to do so. I'm a drummer and am conditioned to "feeling" the music...percussion in particular...so that's just what it takes to get my juices going. I've worn hearing protection all of my adult life when I play, but  even still the sonic energy coming off of real drums or a bass cabinet is a tactile sensation that you experience even if you're deaf.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, that's what I strive for from my systems...that tactile element from the lows all the way up to the highs that punches and pokes at your body. Of course, sound stage and image resolution  are high on my priority list, as well. As is scale...as in life like proportions of sonic images and content...and quick transients and clarity. I'll give the x-Statiks a go, but I suppose with everything I just said and given my room scenario, I should be hard selling myself on NX-Tremes. Lol

The NX-Treme's will do all that you are askling for that then some.

Regarding the CF-4's, I'm currently having a friend rebuild the networks after I spotted a few bulging caps and scorched resistors on the LF board. Didn't change any values for the caps, but did go with better pieces like 20w wire wound resistors rather than the sand 10w stock pieces. For box speakers I think the CF-4's are pretty remarkable, although I do prefer them with  4db cut in the 2-4kHz range.  They reproduce distorted electric guitar in such a way that it sounds ike I have a Marshall stack in the room, and the D'apolitto array creates impressive image resolution and sound stage dimensionality.

Those things had a pretty choppy response. I don't think I'd upgrade them by just swapping out the parts. I can send you our new network for them. It balanced out the response and refined the time alignment of the drivers a little better. Replacing the binding posts and lining them with No Rez also helped a LOT.

But, that said, they aren't dipoles so they don't quite do the types of things I heard from Acoustat Spectra 22's I once owned or even some simple DIY OB designs I dabbled with. I've heard the NX-Tremes at LSAF but it was just a few songs. That said, it was some of the best hifi I've ever heard, if not the best. I feel like that's where I'll need to go if I want all those characteristics that are important to me. The x-Statik kit was purchased when I had a smaller room and it was good deal being second hand. I'll likely give em a go just to experience them for a while.

When you heard the NX-Tremes they were being driven by some 10 watt chip amps that I build for $80 in parts. You should hear them with some real amps on them.

The X-Statik will really serve you well though.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2023, 02:51 pm »
If you already have the X-Static kit on hand you definitely should give them a go. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by their balance of holographic imaging from the OB mids as well as mid bass punch from the sealed lower section. They’re really great speakers.

Mallard1

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2023, 04:06 pm »
I have a pair of X-Statiks and love them. After a couple pours of bourbon i will push them pretty hard and with some pretty dynamic music and they do great. I however rarely push them to past 95db in the peaks. Im using a Prima Luna tube amp and they sound great. i wouldnt worry to much about over driving them.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Chops

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2023, 06:10 pm »
I agree with Danny and others about the X-Statik's. I have some of the first ones that were put on the market back in 2009 from AV123. Four or five years ago, maybe more, I finally got around to doing the full crossover upgrades on them from Danny along with ripping out the original damping material and installing the No-Rez. Those upgrades made vast improvements over the originals.

I've used these X-Statik's (as well as the X-Voce which I also still have but in stock form) in full-out HT trim as well as pure 2-ch systems, powering them with everything from a 25 watt Class A amp all the way up to 500 watt monoblock amps, and they just eat up anything I threw at them. With enough power available to them, I've had them easily swing up to peaks of around 105-107dB without distortion or compression, in rooms up to 13.5' x 22', seated roughly 10' to 12' away.

If I had the spare room for them, I'd be using them in a secondary system instead of them sitting in the closet. They're still in mint condition and I have zero plans on selling them. They're too dang good!

This is right after I purchased them 12+ years ago...

This pic is from 2 years ago, right after we purchased and moved into our house...

BrandonB

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2023, 09:57 pm »
Chops is that a 15 in Rhythmic?
If it is how does it sound?

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2023, 02:17 am »
If loud clean speakers is what you are after, consider ATC.  The SCM 40 V2 max SPL is 112 db.  They defiantly play louder whilst not sounding compressed.

https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/atc-scm40-floor-standing-loudspeaker/

tomlinmgt

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2023, 03:49 pm »
If loud clean speakers is what you are after, consider ATC.  The SCM 40 V2 max SPL is 112 db.  They defiantly play louder whilst not sounding compressed.

https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/atc-scm40-floor-standing-loudspeaker/

I have box speakers that can easily hit those sort of SPL's , but no OB designs. Thanks just the same and I'd love to try ATC some day.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2023, 03:53 pm »
I agree with Danny and others about the X-Statik's. I have some of the first ones that were put on the market back in 2009 from AV123. Four or five years ago, maybe more, I finally got around to doing the full crossover upgrades on them from Danny along with ripping out the original damping material and installing the No-Rez. Those upgrades made vast improvements over the originals.

I've used these X-Statik's (as well as the X-Voce which I also still have but in stock form) in full-out HT trim as well as pure 2-ch systems, powering them with everything from a 25 watt Class A amp all the way up to 500 watt monoblock amps, and they just eat up anything I threw at them. With enough power available to them, I've had them easily swing up to peaks of around 105-107dB without distortion or compression, in rooms up to 13.5' x 22', seated roughly 10' to 12' away.

If I had the spare room for them, I'd be using them in a secondary system instead of them sitting in the closet. They're still in mint condition and I have zero plans on selling them. They're too dang good!

This is right after I purchased them 12+ years ago...

This pic is from 2 years ago, right after we purchased and moved into our house...

Great info....thanks. I have some full class A First Watt kit amps (F5 and Aleph 5)  as well as much higher output AB designs (Phase Linear 700B with all the White Oak mods...just under 500wpc). Were you able to hit +100db SPL's cleanly with the lower powered class A ?

BrandonB

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2023, 12:52 am »
Thank you. Took about 18 mo to complete. I contracted the construction of the fundamental structure, but the entire finish out is DIY including the acoustic treatments. I did get some help with the electrical, however.  Most of the acoustic treatments are built into the walls, but I have some mobile devices (broadband absorption panels and QRD diffusers) I can use to fine tune as speaker choice and location changes.

Just curious did you go to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Texas this year?

bhassel

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2023, 02:00 am »

When you heard the NX-Tremes they were being driven by some 10 watt chip amps that I build for $80 in parts. You should hear them with some real amps on them.

Any more info one those 10 watt chip amps? might be good for my desktop setup or the NX Studios I have yet to get started on!  :duh:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2023, 04:59 am »
If you want very high SPL and a lot of power handling I would suggest the Brute or the Bully.