At what SPL do X-Statik start to distort?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: At what SPL do X-Statik start to distort?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2023, 12:48 pm »
I actually have the solution he needs... a pair of LS9's with upgrades and within driving distance. 
If we could find an agreeable price, I might sell.  The honest truth is that my hearing is failing, and it might be time to let them go.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2023, 09:06 pm »
I actually have the solution he needs... a pair of LS9's with upgrades and within driving distance. 
If we could find an agreeable price, I might sell.  The honest truth is that my hearing is failing, and it might be time to let them go.   

I am sorry to hear that Scott.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:40 pm »
Just curious did you go to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Texas this year?

I did.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2023, 06:45 pm »
If you want very high SPL and a lot of power handling I would suggest the Brute or the Bully.

I have box speakers that are high sensitivity and  easily capable of high SPL...higher than I'll ever play them, in fact.  I've had OB speakers in the past but none currently. I'm wanting to add an OB design to the collection and was simply wondering what the x-statiks are capable of in terms of max SPL. Thanks for the suggestion.

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2023, 07:49 pm »
I am sorry to hear that Scott.
Well, you've known me a long time, and I was always surprised when you and Gary and I would do speaker judging and have our evaluation sheets match so amazingly closely.  Especially when I knew where your top end left off, and mine dropped off 8-9 thousand hertz lower.  Clearly there is a lot more to "hearing" than just frequency range.   
I need to drive up to see you soon.  It's been too long. 
Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2023, 01:24 pm »
Well, you've known me a long time, and I was always surprised when you and Gary and I would do speaker judging and have our evaluation sheets match so amazingly closely.  Especially when I knew where your top end left off, and mine dropped off 8-9 thousand hertz lower.  Clearly there is a lot more to "hearing" than just frequency range.   
I need to drive up to see you soon.  It's been too long. 
Scott

Absolutely, it has been too long.

VinceT

« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2023, 02:48 pm »

Very sorry to hear this is happening to you. Your posts were an inspiration to me when researching the LS9s on the forums and a big reason why I now have them. I read just about every post you made about your speakers and I know how passionate you are about the LS9s and much you enjoy them.

S Clark

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2023, 10:28 pm »
That's very kind or you, Vince. 
Well, most of us lose some as we age.  Some more than others.  I'm not deaf yet, but much of the nuance of what great speakers can do is gone.
I'm glad I could share what I experienced with getting the most from my LS9's and hope you got something from it. 
You seem just as passionate about yours... and justly so. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2023, 10:47 pm »
That's very kind or you, Vince. 
Well, most of us lose some as we age.  Some more than others.  I'm not deaf yet, but much of the nuance of what great speakers can do is gone.
I'm glad I could share what I experienced with getting the most from my LS9's and hope you got something from it. 
You seem just as passionate about yours... and justly so. 

Man I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss.  Aging sucks, although it beats the alternative, I suppose.

S Clark

« Reply #29 on: 28 Oct 2023, 12:52 am »
Man I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss.  Aging sucks, although it beats the alternative, I suppose.
I admit it is a real quality of life thing, but not the end of musical enjoyment.  It's hard to hear space well. I can listen to records I know well, and ask "this or that is missing??".   But even when things are diminished, they are still enjoyable- but not as much as a few years ago.   
I've been lucky to extend my musical enjoyment with some rather expensive hearing aids and probably the best musically sensitive audiologist in the business.  But it's time for the next generation of hearing aids, so who knows what another $XXXX spent will provide.

VinceT

« Reply #30 on: 28 Oct 2023, 04:17 pm »
I admit it is a real quality of life thing, but not the end of musical enjoyment.  It's hard to hear space well. I can listen to records I know well, and ask "this or that is missing??".   But even when things are diminished, they are still enjoyable- but not as much as a few years ago.   
I've been lucky to extend my musical enjoyment with some rather expensive hearing aids and probably the best musically sensitive audiologist in the business.  But it's time for the next generation of hearing aids, so who knows what another $XXXX spent will provide.

I hope the new hearing aids allow you to enjoy this hobby a bit longer  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2023, 05:17 pm »
Paul McGowan was just talking about this very issue in his video yesterday. The question asked was that with the writer's high frequency hearing diminishing, should he get speakers that boost up the top end to compensate. The takeaway was no. At 75, Paul's hearing tops out at 8-9K but from experience, he can still hear things in the music other people can't. Like your experience, Scott, while he can't hear everything he used to be able to hear, he can still appreciate and enjoy the music from a highly resolving system.

While he didn't say this, it seems to me going to a less resolving system would only diminish the experience in the frequency ranges he can hear.

Good luck with hearing aids and enjoy the music you can hear.

VinceT

« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2023, 11:21 pm »
I have also diminished hearing above 8k. I can still hear depth and stage and overall a good ear for things. The LS9's are great for me because they are a little hot on the treble.

But some days the brain doesn't register sound like it should and he old ears arent functioning 100% relaying the signal correctly. When that happens it is like eating an unseasoned dish of great good. It is still good, but doesn't quite have the flavour it should. For me at least it's more than just loss of treble extension. Wife and kids are sick me me saying " what" .."huh"... all the time.

That's what I get for poor decisions in my youth. Not wearing ear protection playing in bands.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2023, 05:22 pm by VinceT »