Re: New car opinions
« Reply #220 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:46 pm »
Doh!  :oops:
Extra  :oops:.... because I want a Cayman!  :duh:

Se7en

« Reply #221 on: 22 Jan 2007, 09:02 pm »
Hi All,

I like the Caymen too. Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem that I have in regards too people not seeing the car due to its low profile. Hell I'm tempted to buy a Hummer at this point and weld some 24" spikes into to bumpers and see if people can learn to drive then  :D

So I test drove the Grand Cherokee SRT 8 last night and I must say that I was very impressed. Off the line the thing is a beast! It pulls almost a quick to 80 as the Z, at least as a guess from a seat of the pants feel. I would say that between the gearing and the torque it actually feels faster to 50 although actual numbers indicate the opposite. Once on the freeway it has quite a bit of weight to overcome not to mention it is as aerodynamic as a brick. It was also comfortable and obviously more roomy than the Z.

Nice car!

On the downside apparently my car is only worth 20-25K in trade these days  :( even with only 30k on the clock. I will probably need to do the insurance/repair thing on my own and then seek out a private sale so that the $$ hit isn't as severe.

-Gabe

lazydays

« Reply #222 on: 24 Jan 2007, 07:08 am »
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool BMW lover so I think they should always be on the list for a fun, practical sedan.  They are great value particularly if you don't mind a used one with 30k-40k miles.  They can still feel almost new even with that mileage (I recall a very nice one I saw with 40k at a dealer and it wasn't even a Certified Pre Owned car).  The CPO cars are really good.  You can probably get great deals now that there is a new body style coming out.  

What is really special about a BMW is the blend of acceleration, handling, communication with the driver, refinement and fuel economy.  A 328 or 330 will be very good in all of these areas.  You can find cars that are better in 1 or more dimension but I don't think you will find a better all around sporty sedan.  Audi can't do it.  Infiniti seems to be getting closer but I have not driven the new G35 so I can't comment.  

If you like a sporty car then do test drive a 328 or 330 with the Sport suspension (if it has 17" wheels from the factory then it probably has the Sport suspension).  If you are lucky you will find one with the Performance Package -- you will know since the engine has a higher redline, a short-throw manual shifter and an even more sporty suspension from the factory.  

I fitted an M3 suspension and wheels to my 328i.  It was refined enough that I could easily handle a 2 hour drive after a 16 hour trans-pacific flight.  It could be throttle-steered with ease through corners and flung into freeway on-ramps well above the national speed limit.  It had enough torque to shove you back in your seat around town, 3rd gear was good for triple digits.  It still got 28-30 mpg on the freeway.  I loved the car even if I gave the engine, suspension and brakes regular work-outs.  That said, I lent the car to my 65 year old aunt for 2 weeks and she loved it -- how's that for user friendly!  

An E34 M5 has more of a hard edge than an E46 330i (even with a Sport suspension) in terms of ride and engine note.  But it is still refined and comfortable.  In its time it was called a 4 door Ferrari -- not that much of a stretch given that the 3.8L inline-6 was putting out 340 hp back in the early 90s (naturally aspirated, no turbo or supercharger).  

Have fun with your shopping!

I just retired from the automotive industry (I was in a none automobile unit), and I think I've seen them all from Bentlys to Toyotas. Everyone of them is a light year better than it was ten years ago. The German car companys right now are in deep financil trouble with extremely high warranty costs. Toyota just set an all time record for high warranty costs (read Wards Automotive Journal). Where as Ford always seems to have one of the lowest warranty costs out there. G.M. and Chrysler have made huge cuts in warranty costs as well. Japs still can't make a heavyduty automatic transmission shift right (they run OK, but cost you two or three MPG.). If your looking at hybrids then you better wait. The Japs still can't make a good battery pack, and they know it! Chrysler has built a really nice hybrid electric drive automatic transmission, and G.M. kinda lags behind in that area (they have a couple heavyduty ones for non automotive use). But the one thing that G.M. has that nobody else has is a battery pack that works. When it comes to fuel cell technology, G.M. is many years out front. But it's another three or four years away. The best cars being tested right now are the new saturn Aura. If your looking at going fast, but still being able to afford it; Chrysler's got your number.
gary

Se7en

« Reply #223 on: 28 Jan 2007, 06:08 am »
So, it is done. The Z06 has been traded in. Keep in mind that this is the 1st time in 10 years I have not owned a Corvette (I've sort of fallen for these cars). My first was A '91 ZR1 that I picked up for a song and it only had 25k on it and I drove it to 140K miles with almost no problems at all until the very end. 2nd was a '01 Z06 again picked up for a bargain but due to the distance between job and home I logged almost 35K miles in the first year of ownership and I decided to trade it at 85k when the extended warranty was running out (repairs were more common and much more expensive). 3rd '03 Z06 with 19k on it in perfect condition until I brought it to San Francisco where it has been run/backed into repeatedly and I am circumstantially not in a position to give it proper storage or protection.

The new ride:
'07 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, Black w dark grey leather. This is my first "brand new" car ever. So far I like it a lot. It is far more practical for the town I live in, is very comfortable to drive and far more quiet than the Z. I know that it goes like stink (although it will have a very gentle break in period) and handles far better than any SUV has a right to.

If any of you are interested I will update with more feedback once I've been able to log some miles. I will also add some pics once I get the camera out tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

-Gabriel

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #224 on: 28 Jan 2007, 06:57 am »
Hennessey Performance SRT600 - 620 HP Turbo System Upgrade ...a must have for your weekly grocery run...

Click here to see Video

Se7en

« Reply #225 on: 28 Jan 2007, 07:18 am »
Yeah, that thing is quick  :o

lazydays

« Reply #226 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:27 pm »
I'd like to sign up as the next person seeking opinions on a next car.

Due to a few recent events involving people backing into my car and causing significant paint damage I feel that it is probably better for me in the long run for me to sell my beloved Z06. For a little insight I moved to San Francisco in the last 1.5 years. Most recently I moved again but this time into a place without a garage. I can rent a parking space in my neighborhood but it is going to cost me approximately $300 a month not to mention the $160 a month I already pay to park near work. In addition my insurance went up $85 a month because of the SF zip code (not that my insurance was low to begin with). All told I'll be shelling out almost $800 a month above and beyond the cost of the car itself. I've been trying to get by with street parking for as long as possible but earlier this week someone backed into the car (apparently in their truck) and scraped the hell out of the entire front clip to within 1/4 of an inch of the hood. This is the 2ND time this has happened this month (first time I was able to buff out the damage). Insurance will cover it but the bottom line is that I need a car with bumpers.

Cars under consideration:

Subaru STI or STI Limited
Subaru WRX Wagon
Audi S4
Cadillac CTSV
Jeep SRT 8
Chrysler 300 SRT
Other? (insert other options here)

Criteria: Sporty but prefer fast, road holding and braking is more important to me than outright speed, "sporty"-comfortable and some utility would be a nice change. Most of my driving right now takes place between work and home (5 miles a day) but one of my favorite things to do is to get out on the open road.

Thanks for any input!

-Gabriel

you left out a couple good ones in that group. Take a long look at the Caddy STS. My daughter has a black one, and I guess it's about as good as it gets. My neighbor has a 2006 Z06, and had to send it to the body shop with less than a hundred miles on it. Messed the front end up big time backing out of the driveway onto the street! He had a Viper convertable before that, and never had a problem getting out of the driveway!
    As for fast cars, you also might want to get inline for one of the new Challangers with the 6.1 Hemi in it. Saw a guy with a SRT Charger up on I-80 right outside of Sacramento in October actually break traction at 70 mph! That car was real fast. Myself, I think it would be a STS-V or an XLR-V. The XLR is made in the same plant they build the Corvettes in, but it's all hand made.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #227 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:30 pm »
after reading your latest post, sounds like you bought a rocket ship! The European SUVs with all that horsepower really don't work well. With an SUV you really want low end power, and a near flat torque curve.
gary

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #228 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:38 pm »
I still love my Audi S6 Avant.  All wheel drive, stability control, unobtrusive, super handling, faster than a speeding bullet, 186 top speed with stock European chip, governed to 156 mph in the USA  :(.  Great utility, absolute tank in winter driving with winter tires in Minnesota and zero problems in 5 years. I can make 700 miles cross country in a day and get out not tired at all, that easy to drive fast cross country, and it eats up mountain roads.  There are lots and lots of urban toy rockets out there and cheep wantabes, but very few that can sustain like an S6.

Absoluely great service from both Twin Cities Audi dealers consistantly over the years helps too.

P.S. The new models have 100 hp more than mine, I don't know what they can do with it.  Mine is soooo fast.

Frank Van Alstine

The_KiD

« Reply #229 on: 28 Jan 2007, 08:28 pm »
I would second the suggestion of the A6 Avant or even consider an RS-6. I have an S4 Sedan and love it. Not to mention, I drive it like I stole it half the time and have not had a moment's trouble. Audi's new product is really great. Much better than what BMW is making, that is for sure.

Cheers,

KiD

Se7en

« Reply #230 on: 29 Jan 2007, 08:59 pm »
I really like the RS6 and the E55 for that matter but most of the German cars price themselves well outside of my range.

I am pretty happy with the Jeep, it has all of the amenities I could ever want, it handles extremely well especially with consideration to the fact that it is still a truck. It has a rear view backup camera, Nav, Sirius Sat radio for 1 year, and comes with racing classes (part of the SRT package). I don't scrape in and out of driveways and if I do get bumped into it will not be because they didn't see me.

If there were a major downside it would be the fuel economy (avg 12mpg), I was getting 26 hwy out of the Z06.

craig223

« Reply #231 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:22 pm »
If I had the money, a Tesla Roadster would be in my garage.  Totally electric car.  0-60 in less than 4 seconds.  Looks as good as an Italian exotic.  No OPEC worries.  Check them out at www.teslamotors.com/

bubba966

« Reply #232 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:31 am »
So Carl, you still haven't posted any pics of your car.

I'm finding it a bit amusing that after over 2 years of searching the entire country for a very particular car I finally found one and bought it. And I'll post a pic of it before you post one of your car... :lol:

I just wish it hadn't been so hard to find.

Double Ugly

« Reply #233 on: 9 Mar 2007, 04:27 am »
Glad to see you made it home safely, bubba.  Did you have any additional 'possum encounters?  :wink:

FWIW, bubba came by to see me after taking possession of new pride and joy, and it is a GREAT car!  Aside from the front air dam (some of which I had something to do with...sorry 'bout that :oops:) the exterior of the car is in superb condition.  The interior looks to be that of a 2 to 3 year-old car (meant to be a BIG compliment!), and the engine and suspension served to remind me why I love BMWs so much.  Although I couldn't resist the urge to 'test' the M-Sport during my auditions (purely unemotional fact-finding measures reluctantly accomplished to ensure the validity of your purchase investment...really :wink:), I heard nary a squeak, rattle or groan from any part of the car.

Well done, my friend.  I'm truly happy you finally found what you've wanted for so long, and that you were able to get it before someone else did...and they would've.  It is far too nice a car to have lasted long on the market.

The car I purchased for our current trip (an '06 Lincoln LS) exhibits a *lot* of BMW handling tendencies to my extreme surprise, and the V-8 has proven relatively powerful (easily attained 120 mph traveling up a steep incline in TN before Kandy's screams convinced me back off...sorry, babe) and thrifty (over 28 mpg cruising between 75 and 80 mph :o).  Even so, if God is willing, I *WILL* someday have a Bimmer of my own.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #234 on: 9 Mar 2007, 04:50 am »
Nice car Brian !!! Best of luck with it.....vrooommm :thumb:
So you had to go all the way to Mississippi to find it ?

Chris

bubba966

« Reply #235 on: 9 Mar 2007, 06:18 am »
Glad to see you made it home safely, bubba.  Did you have any additional 'possum encounters? :wink:

I got back to Seattle a little after midnight Tuesday. And while no more 'possum's were squashed I did manage to kill 2 tumbleweeds in Texas, and scalped a semi-squished raccoon in California.

FWIW, bubba came by to see me after taking possession of new pride and joy, and it is a GREAT car!  Aside from the front air dam (some of which I had something to do with...sorry 'bout that :oops:) the exterior of the car is in superb condition.  The interior looks to be that of a 2 to 3 year-old car (meant to be a BIG compliment!), and the engine and suspension served to remind me why I love BMWs so much.  Although I couldn't resist the urge to 'test' the M-Sport during my auditions (purely unemotional fact-finding measures reluctantly accomplished to ensure the validity of your purchase investment...really :wink:), I heard nary a squeak, rattle or groan from any part of the car.

I'm going to have to fix the "possum catcher" myself this weekend as that's not a separate piece it's part of the entire front bumper. I had a heart attack when I was quoted a replacement bumper (that's not even painted). Ahh, the fun of buying model specific parts on an extremely rare car. Might look at replacing it with one from the M5 as it's probably cheaper and isn't quite as low.

Too bad you couldn't see it in the daytime. As nice as it looked at night, it was better during the daytime.

Well done, my friend.  I'm truly happy you finally found what you've wanted for so long, and that you were able to get it before someone else did...and they would've.  It is far too nice a car to have lasted long on the market.

Look long enough and someday you'll find what you're looking for. And yeah, I'm glad I got to it first as there was someone else in line behind me if I didn't buy it.

The car I purchased for our current trip (an '06 Lincoln LS) exhibits a *lot* of BMW handling tendencies to my extreme surprise, and the V-8 has proven relatively powerful (easily attained 120 mph traveling up a steep incline in TN before Kandy's screams convinced me back off...sorry, babe) and thrifty (over 28 mpg cruising between 75 and 80 mph :o).  Even so, if God is willing, I *WILL* someday have a Bimmer of my own.

I ended up averaging 66.5 MPH over the entire 3,750 mile trip and got 25 MPG. And I was laying into the throttle a good bit. I was usually getting 30-35 MPG on flat roads w/no headwind while doing 80-85. I actually got 40 MPG doing 100 MPH for a good bit of time going through Arizona. But did a good bit worse when I was making up some time on the last 60 miles to Kingman, AZ aa I think that was under 5 MPG then... :lol:

Just buy that '03 M5 that's up here in Seattle. I'll drive it down to ya. :wink:

Nice car Brian !!! Best of luck with it.....vrooommm :thumb:
So you had to go all the way to Mississippi to find it ?

Chris

Thanks Chris. I think it's rather nice, and I'm guessing Jim agrees with that after his "test drive". But what's not to like about what basically amounts to a V8 powered '95 M5. The M5 of that era was called by many "the best sedan ever built" and that's an opinion that still holds true over a decade later.

And I wish I only had to go to Mississippi to find that car. But I had to go to North Carolina to buy it. You do what you have to do I guess. And as there were only 2 cars made like this one worldwide I feel very lucky to have found & bought it.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #236 on: 9 Mar 2007, 06:29 am »
And I wish I only had to go to Mississippi to find that car. But I had to go to North Carolina to buy it.
Wow....yes a long trip for sure...but you got what you wanted, and thats what counts. Good luck !!! :beer:

Double Ugly

« Reply #237 on: 9 Mar 2007, 08:45 am »
Too bad you couldn't see it in the daytime. As nice as it looked at night, it was better during the daytime.
No doubt, but the condition of the car was clear enough, even with the lighting on hand.

You do what you have to do I guess. And as there were only 2 cars made like this one worldwide I feel very lucky to have found & bought it.
I knew it was rare, but one of only two?!?  You probably mentioned it in MS, but what sets this one apart from the few?

Just buy that '03 M5 that's up here in Seattle. I'll drive it down to ya. :wink:
I like that idea, but then I go back to -

I had a heart attack when I was quoted a replacement bumper (that's not even painted).
At which time my bank account says :nono:...

bubba966

« Reply #238 on: 9 Mar 2007, 11:09 pm »
Yes, there were only 2 cars built to that spec. There were a total of 65 '95 540iA M-Sport's built, and only two of them were black on black.

Oh, and FWIW I checked the price of the front bumper for an '03 M5 and it's less than half the cost of the bumper for my M-Sport. Seems the bumper on the M-Sport was only put on the M-Sport. I checked Nathan's M5 last night and he's got a different splitter on his (that isn't as low & doesn't have the brake cooling ducts that I have).

So anyway the bumper on an '03 M5 is quite realistically priced. And if mine was that cheap I'd have a new one on order now.

http://m-carsseattle.com/carlot/detail/69/2003/BMW/M5
You know you want it. And now I know how to get to your house...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #239 on: 19 Oct 2008, 11:36 am »
If I had the money, a Tesla Roadster would be in my garage.  Totally electric car.  0-60 in less than 4 seconds.  Looks as good as an Italian exotic.  No OPEC worries.  Check them out at www.teslamotors.com/

Looks like Tesla is having some problems......not good news for the employee's... :?