New car opinions

Se7en

Re: New car opinions
« Reply #200 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:30 am »
Carlman,

Congrats on the car! Nice color and IMHO the 3 series is the best, "purist" car BMW ever made. The larger beemers feel a little over-engineered for my liking.

Boed,

The MB is really nice too. The retractable roof is great! I hope that the test drive goes well  aa

I suppose I am more a manual guy so for me I tend to lean towards the BMW side of things, but I can't quite afford to German yet. Perhaps one day though.

Se7en

« Reply #201 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:36 am »
On a down side, someone backed into my car today  :evil:

I'm assuming that it was a truck and the they backed right up into it scraping all along the bumper (if you want to call it a bumper) and onto the hood.

I swear people here in SF have no respect for other peoples property or are simply too incompetent to park a car. Parking in general is in very short supply here (not unlike Boston or other dense cities) but you see people literally pushing into other cars all the time around here. It is a shame and I'm pretty bummed.

boead

« Reply #202 on: 20 Jan 2007, 06:05 am »
The F’in dealer sold the car the night before I was coming in to buy it! I was on my way, 10 minutes away with 99% intention of just buying it!! We’ll maybe it was an good twist of fate.

So I bought an Acura RSX. Better on gas, more reliable and actually handles a little better. And not bad looking.

I’ve had my heart set on a mid to late 80’s SL-Class MB anyway. I still have my trusty 93 E300 which I don’t have the heart to sell just yet, although I likely will at some point this year. Its in excellent condition with 193k miles, I’ve commuted to work with it for the last few years.

amplifierguru

« Reply #203 on: 20 Jan 2007, 09:45 am »
Hi boead,

Anything that's better on gas is a winner into the future as oil is just in a temp lull before heading for the $100 /barrel mark!

Even better if it's non-diesel as they may do lower CO2 but blighting with carcinogenic particulates containing serious carcinogens.

Greg

boead

« Reply #204 on: 20 Jan 2007, 04:38 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that the Acura dealer now ONLY sells fairly large cars. I asked the salesman if Acura even sells a 2-door anymore and he said no, except the NSX. The most popular car is the large SUV which gets around 15mpg.

As the years have gone by, my MB gets lower and lesser MPG but for most of its life its got a very consistent 21mpg. The best I’ve ever gotten was after a fresh tuneup and a long highway trip where I saw about 24mpg. But in recent months the cars is needing a mass air flow device which is resulting in mileage closer to 18mpg.

I was looking for a VERY high MPG car that wasn’t a hybrid. I was sold on the NEW Honda Civic which boast 40mpg but from reading literally a hundred owner comments, apparently the overwhelming driver/owner aren’t seeing much more then 30mpg withy few and far between owners claiming 35mpg and only under extreme conditions. I also read that Honda is catching major heat over the fact that their Civic Hybrid that claims 50mpg is hardly breaking the upper 30’s. There are MANY pissed off buyers and lots of talk about pending law suites.

From what I have read, most Acura RSX (base model with 160HP) owners claim mileage between 28 and 32 on a highway commute and low to mid 20’sw when “VTECH’in” around the neighborhood. The base model gets its peek HP at 6500-rpm’s and the Type-S at 7400-rpms.

On another and more On Topic question;
single in dash CD player. It’s not the Bose unit that was an option which I believe is fortunate. I did read that the Bose unit has some strange impedance making replacement speakers hard to match. How can I find out who makes the head unit, I want the specs.

I found a simple $50 device that plugs into the players CD Changer port that allows for R/L RCA’s so I can adapt to micro for an iPod or any other portable digital or tape player (I listen to books on tape often while I commute to work, that’s why I bought an Alpine Tape player when the stock Becker broke in my MB). I also found a cool device that also plugs into the stock units changer port that allows for iPod connectivity (http://www.mp3yourcar.com/),. It lets you control the iPod from the head unit and steering wheel controls as well as always keeping the iPod charged – its just under $200) but it doesn’t solve the issue of playing tapes. I can learn to live without the tapes however, many books are on CD these days so that’s a null point.

What I think the stereo needs are new speakers. I was told the stock speakers have tiny magnets and are weak sounding. The Dealer salesman turned on some nice classical music and commented how ‘nice’ the stereo sounded. I stopped and listened, turned it down and said (after thinking for a moment), not really. It wasn’t bad but it certainly wasn’t good.

Without getting too carried away because I really would rather buy other audio stuff besides car audio, I’d like to replace the cars speakers and maybe the head unit down the road. I don’t like it loud! I don’t want a CD Changer. I really just want to listen to my portable MP3 player when I’m not on the phone.

How can I get specs on the stock unit and what is the best way to proceed. 

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2007, 07:03 pm by boead »

BikeWNC

« Reply #205 on: 20 Jan 2007, 06:48 pm »
I needed a smaller runabout car for taking my daughter all over on her activities and for my many trips to cycling events.  We bought a 06 Prius and couldn't be happier.  Last tank it got 47 mpg ave!  That's after replacing the useless stock Goodyear Integrity tires with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S which no doubt dropped the mpg somewhat.  I don't know why people have issues with hybrid technology.  It works and has proven to be reliable.  I've read the next generation Prius due out in Fall 08 will get another 10-15 mpg above the current model.  We're going down to DisneyWorld next month and I expect low 50s ave on the trip down and back. 

The way I see it, you can give your money to the Arabs or use it to support new tech. while reducing our dependance on foriegn oil.  Besides the $3150 tax credit didn't hurt either.

Andy

boead

« Reply #206 on: 20 Jan 2007, 07:15 pm »
I also looked at Toyota and the Corolla actually gets close to what Toyota claims in MPG and yeah, I read that the Prius actually DOES get close to 50MPG while the Civic Hybrid doesn’t. Not surprised since the Prius was build to BE a hybrid and the Civic was adapted.
I have nothing against hybrids, I would have LOVED to buy one. My problem is that most of my driving is above 65mph and I seldom drive around town and/or in traffic beyond the occasional commuter traffic. I leave for work between 9 and 10 am and come home usually after 7pm so I mostly miss the rush hour. A Hybrid is best for stop and go, around town driving and not high(er) speed highway trips.

Honda now has the NGV (Natural Gas Vehicle) Civic., the dealer showed me how you can get up to $7000 from the State and Federal government in rebates. It was twice the rebates offered for the Hybrids because it doesn’t burn ANY gasoline at all. And the dealers are offering low cost filling stations or home delivery service of bottled NG.

BikeWNC

« Reply #207 on: 20 Jan 2007, 07:20 pm »
Actually, the Prius gets better gas milage on the highway than around town.  I suppose if you drove exactly like those crazy unrealistic tests that the govt does it could get 60 in town, but I don't see that.  I don't think anyone does from what I've read on the Prius forums.

Andy

amplifierguru

« Reply #208 on: 20 Jan 2007, 09:27 pm »
Well I have a 'little' (tips the scale at 980kg) Holden Cruze here in Oz. It's a 1.5L DOHC 4 door with FWD and viscous coupling auto 4WD on unsealed. My wife commutes to work in an 80km/h 20minute trip and we regularly avg 16km/L (when she's not lead footing to a photo opportunity with the speed camera). I think that's about 50mp(US)g.

I believe it's also sold in the US as a Samurai but there are non 4WD variants here as it's made by Suzuki for GM. Build quality is great, it's zippy, easy to park and great visibility.

We ride our bikes for close encounters. Exercise + lowest emissions.

Cheers,
Greg

Carlman

« Reply #209 on: 20 Jan 2007, 10:23 pm »
So I bought an Acura RSX. Better on gas, more reliable and actually handles a little better. And not bad looking.

Dude, CONGRATS!  I test drove the RSX a few years ago and love it.  Very smooth, quiet, and just a nice, sporty car.  I'm sure you'll love it (and the gas mileage) for as many years as you want to own it.

Happy motoring...

-Carl

Se7en

« Reply #210 on: 21 Jan 2007, 07:13 pm »
Congrats on the RSX! Super nice all around car and certainly more sporty than the MB IMO.

Se7en

« Reply #211 on: 21 Jan 2007, 07:42 pm »
I'd like to sign up as the next person seeking opinions on a next car.

Due to a few recent events involving people backing into my car and causing significant paint damage I feel that it is probably better for me in the long run for me to sell my beloved Z06. For a little insight I moved to San Francisco in the last 1.5 years. Most recently I moved again but this time into a place without a garage. I can rent a parking space in my neighborhood but it is going to cost me approximately $300 a month not to mention the $160 a month I already pay to park near work. In addition my insurance went up $85 a month because of the SF zip code (not that my insurance was low to begin with). All told I'll be shelling out almost $800 a month above and beyond the cost of the car itself. I've been trying to get by with street parking for as long as possible but earlier this week someone backed into the car (apparently in their truck) and scraped the hell out of the entire front clip to within 1/4 of an inch of the hood. This is the 2ND time this has happened this month (first time I was able to buff out the damage). Insurance will cover it but the bottom line is that I need a car with bumpers.

Cars under consideration:

Subaru STI or STI Limited
Subaru WRX Wagon
Audi S4
Cadillac CTSV
Jeep SRT 8
Chrysler 300 SRT
Other? (insert other options here)

Criteria: Sporty but prefer fast, road holding and braking is more important to me than outright speed, "sporty"-comfortable and some utility would be a nice change. Most of my driving right now takes place between work and home (5 miles a day) but one of my favorite things to do is to get out on the open road.

Thanks for any input!

-Gabriel

« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2007, 08:43 pm by Se7en »

TomS

« Reply #212 on: 21 Jan 2007, 08:07 pm »
I've driven most on that list and all are good fun choices.  All things considered, including value, I'd take the Audi S4 (better yet S8), but that's just me.  The CTS-V is more like an M5 (which I've owned), though more brutal in terms of power delivery.  The acquisition cost is higher than the others, but resale much lower, which is something to think about.  I almost bought an STI once, but the boy racer wing and gumball tires didn't work for me or my needs.   Be prepared to replace those tires regularly if you drive it like you mean it.   Tom

Se7en

« Reply #213 on: 21 Jan 2007, 08:39 pm »
Thanks for the input Tom.

What I like about the S4, the M5 and the CTSV is that they are manual. I'm still trying to come to terms with the notion of driving an automatic even though I'm in SF now. On a side note the only reason I have not listed the BMW here is because I am a little afraid of their electrical systems. Too overengineered for me.

The main reason that I'm considering the CTSV is because it shares the LS6 powerplant with my Z (this is my 2nd Z and has proven itself to be very reliable and somewhat addictive).

I like the S8 but it may be a bit much car for me in terms of sheer weight.

A agree with you on the STI. If I bought one the wing would be gone right away. This said they are pretty great to drive but perhaps not as forgiving as an S4 on long drives. Also regarding tires, the Z goes through a set of tires every 8-10K but the tires cost a bunch more than the Subaru (15-1600 a set). I wish they made the STI in a wagon, I simply prefer the looks and utility. If I did go with the STI I would probably try to dress it down as much as possible.

Lastly, I'm not necessarily locked into "new" in fact I'd rather find a sweet deal on a good condition used car.

TomS

« Reply #214 on: 21 Jan 2007, 09:07 pm »
Yeah, I agree on the stick.  I have an E39 540-6speed and can't part with it.  I tried an M3 SMG once and hated it. 

The tires on the STI I drove looked like the shaved ones guys were using for driver's school/track events, maybe 3-5k max.  I have Michelin PS2 18's for summer tires and have driven them 30k miles for about $1k a set - not too bad.

Good luck!

Carlman

« Reply #215 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:03 pm »
What I like about the S4, the M5 and the CTSV is that they are manual.
They are indeed becoming extinct.... The best compromise I've seen is the Audi A3 w/SMG.  Not sure what your needs are in a car but I would think the A3 would be an ideal and classy car to have in SF.  I don't think I'd like a big car in the city.... I drove/rented a small SUV while I was there and thought that was a good size... but for 'spirited' driving in the wine country, I'd rather have anything else.  ;)

-C

jaywills

« Reply #216 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:16 pm »
I'm on my fifteenth year in the same M5.  Wouldn't think of getting a different car.  YMMV.  Good luck in your search.

TomS

« Reply #217 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:28 pm »
I'm on my fifteenth year in the same M5.  Wouldn't think of getting a different car.  YMMV.  Good luck in your search.

Sounds like an E34 just like I had.  I loved the ripping/snorting sound of that big inline 6.  Sadly, I sold it in a weak moment when I moved to snowier climate.  The cost to repair was brutal after it left warranty coverage but it was simply a blast at track events.

A3 is a great suggestion, but if I'm spending enough to get a CTSV, didn't have kids, dogs, or colleagues to haul around, a Cayman would be really sweet.  You only live once.

Carlman

« Reply #218 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:34 pm »
A3 is a great suggestion, but if I'm spending enough to get a CTSV, didn't have kids, dogs, or colleagues to haul around, a Cayman would be really sweet.  You only live once.

Cayman... or a Toureg... great options... But he did also mention the Subie STi... So, that's where my A3 thinking came from... It's hard to know without knowing what he really wants to use the car for.... Coming from a 'Vette I doubt any SUV will do... but who knows... ;)

TomS

« Reply #219 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:46 pm »
SUV? ..you're thinking Cayenne.  Cayman's Boxster coupe :thumb: