Router for edges of speakers

HT1278

Router for edges of speakers
« on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:02 am »
I glued up my first set of speakers today.

What is a good type of router and bit just to round the edges?

I looked at Home Depot and Harbor freight and I am not sure which type of router, and bit to get.

HT1278

Re: Router for edges of speakers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:04 am »
Also, I really want to say Killian, Danny, and Hobbs make an incredible product.

The Flatpack was 10 out of 10.

I know this goes without saying, but the flatpacks are incredible.

Made it easy for someone who has never glued any wood together! 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:07 am »
I use this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-Amp-Corded-2-1-4-Horsepower-Fixed-and-Plunge-Base-Router-Kit-DW618PKB/301664695

And the router bit I use most often for roundovers is a 3/4" bit.
Same one I used for the LGK.

HT1278

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:54 am »
Thank You Hobbs!

JCarney

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2022, 04:22 am »
Hi HT,
I went to Harbor Freight and got a small hand held type Enertwist router for under $50. I used in on the desktop mini and it worked great. I took a piece of scrap mdf I had laying around to set my depth and the speed. The link is amazon and I paid less at HF.

Good Luck,
JCarney

https://www.amazon.com/EnerTwist-Variable-Woodworking-Laminate-RT-710S/dp/B07H79C1PB

Bullitt5094

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2022, 11:36 am »
The Bit is as important as the router. Whiteside is great quality and not stupidly priced. If you're doing a 3/4 round over consider this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AM18PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vince in TX

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2022, 01:30 pm »
This is what I used on the bases of my Servo Subs and the edges of my X-On Walls.

JCarney

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:16 pm »
Bullitt is right, get a quality bit. Cheap bits will mess up a job in no time.

Good Luck,
JCarney

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2022, 04:20 pm »
I have been a professional woodworker for over 40 years. For a hobbyist Grizzly bits work just fine. I use them all the time and don't feel bad when I destroy one which happens a lot when routing epoxy filled mesquite, even the expensive bits don't hold up to that abuse.

The 1/2" shank bits have less chatter but the 1/4" shank will work with lighter cuts.

3/4" Rounder bit $18.95
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-3-4-r-roundover-bit-1-2-shank/c1189

HT1278

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2022, 02:35 am »
Thank you everyone.  I ordered the grizzly bit.   Looked at the diablo bit, perhaps I should have looked at that one more.   When I am rounded the front sides edges on the LKG 2.0's, do I need the plastic fence on the bottom of the router or no just install the bit and go?

Not sure what depth to put the grizzly 3/4 inch bit at. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2022, 02:46 am »
The router should come with 2 plastic shields. one for small bits, one for larger bits.
You're definitely going to want a shield on there no matter what

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2022, 04:12 am »
Not sure what depth to put the grizzly 3/4 inch bit at.

Practice, practice, practice. Clamp 1-1/2" thick scrap MDF to your workbench and start rounding until you feel comfortable with the process. Try 2 passes first.
Glue 2 MDF pieces together to make 1-1/2" thick scraps then trim edges flush so the bearing has something to roll on. Take your time and make nice big practice pieces.

Note that Hobbsmeerkat uses a 3/4" roundover; Vince in TX used a 3/8" roundover which will work on 3/4" MDF without the extra thickness for the bearing.

Keep both hands on the router or you could round over your finger tips.

Craig B

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2022, 11:51 am »
I agree that practice is critical, but not just if you're inexperienced. Even if you've done this many times before, it's always a good idea to take that first cut on a piece of scrap instead of the final piece, just so you know you've got the right depth dialed in. You don't want any surprises.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2022, 12:33 pm »
For New comers on a budget, this router works well too!  For the money it's a great deal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-hp-variable-speed-plunge-router-67119.html

« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2022, 02:19 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

HT1278

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2022, 08:33 am »
I have a workbench but no real good way to strap down something to use the router. 

Unless I clamp it down to the kitchen table. :)

Can I safely use the router on smaller speakers like the LGK 2.0's without clamping the speaker down?

HT1278

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2022, 09:20 am »
Maybe I just need to get some sawhorses.   

JWCoffman

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2022, 01:41 pm »
What type of router are you using?  I would typically use my palm router for smallish roundovers (1/2" or less) and use one hand to both hold the workpiece in place while holding the baseplate of the router down onto the workpiece with my thumb and forefinger.  You can't really do that with a full sized router very easily, so you may need to invest in sawhorses and some scrap plywood.  That's never a bad idea to have around the house anyway since you can create a workbench anywhere.
If you do use the kitchen counter, please share photos of the aftermath. :popcorn:

JCarney

« Reply #17 on: 8 Apr 2022, 02:17 pm »
Take a couple of pieces of scrap 1x4 or 2x4 and the clamps you used on the build. I have one of those plastic tables the legs fold up that is 4 feet long. I clamped one piece of 2x4 to the table on both sides for a secure hold. I set the speaker up against the clamped board. I put the second 2x4 on the other side, and clamped it making sure there was enough pressure to hold the piece, essentially pinching the piece in between the 2x4's.

Hope this helps,
JCarney

HT1278

« Reply #18 on: 8 Apr 2022, 02:29 pm »
Ordered a DeWALT compact palm router PN: DWP611, and a 3/4 inch router roundover bit.  JCarney, I do have a plastic folding table that would work well.  Will get some scrap wood and give the router a try.  Thank you again everyone!

JCarney

« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2022, 02:36 pm »
Best of luck HT. I'm glad my idea may be of some use. Remember ear and eye protection.

JCarney