Acoustic Curtains

DannyBadorine

Acoustic Curtains
« on: 9 Feb 2022, 09:45 pm »
Any recommendations on curtains for room sound treatment.  I know that they generally don't go as low in the frequency spectrum as panels, but that's fine.  Also, they have to look good enough to seem like real curtains.  This is a compromise with the wife and she has visual sensibilities. 

shroman420

Re: Acoustic Curtains
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2022, 02:31 am »
Curtains are a great compromise.  I've read anything in a heavy velvet works well.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2022, 02:52 pm »
I have a doorway that I wish I could seal, but where any kind of door would be a pain to implement. I got two heavy velvet curtains from amazon, and hot glued a folded moving blanket between them to make one thick, double sided curtain. It as worked well, it attenuates the higher frequencies and muffles the sound going upstairs when I am using my home theatre and the kids are asleep. I bought one "soundproof curtain" and sent it back, it was a joke. If its not a ton of thick fabric, I would suspect you will get little out of it.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2022, 05:22 am »
I have a doorway that I wish I could seal, but where any kind of door would be a pain to implement. I got two heavy velvet curtains from amazon, and hot glued a folded moving blanket between them to make one thick, double sided curtain. It as worked well, it attenuates the higher frequencies and muffles the sound going upstairs when I am using my home theatre and the kids are asleep. I bought one "soundproof curtain" and sent it back, it was a joke. If its not a ton of thick fabric, I would suspect you will get little out of it.

I like that idea.  I think I'm going to order a curtain from Amazon that has an opening where you can take out the "acoustic fabric" part in order to wash the curtain.  I will likely stuff a packing blanket or some kind of actual sound treatment in it's place.  I'm not looking for anything drastic but there is a large window 45 degrees from one of the speakers.  If I can cover the window and minimize the reflections with a curtain then it's great because I can't put any other sound treatment there.  Even if it only affects 1KHz and up then it will help.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted