DEQX array

ekovalsky

DEQX array
« on: 29 Mar 2005, 12:16 am »
Rick,

Any progress reports on a future DEQX array ?

Bingenito

DEQX array
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2005, 01:29 am »
I know the question is directed to Rick but I thought that I would share that I heard a DEQX array. It was the same dipole array  (yes I have read that DEQX does not do as well with Dipoles) that Rick heard a few months back.

The owner has the speakers voiced a little more laid back then the Incredarray but is using Seas Excel mid-bass drivers.

Since Rick was over there the owner has been tweaking the system. I have to tell you that the soundstage was down right spooky. He played a few tracks I have not heard before and then played Dark Side of the Moon.

As you know I love arrays and Seas Excel drivers ,this speaker was very impressive. He was also running dipole subs that were so damn fast you would not know that subwoofers were in the system except that bass would hit you in the chest like a real bass drum.

I really enjoyed the system.

That was the first time I have heard a system using DEQX.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: DEQX array
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2005, 01:59 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
Rick,

Any progress reports on a future DEQX array ?

I'm still open to the possibility but I need to get caught up with my current workload before I seriously work with the DEQX.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
DEQX array
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:02 am »
Quote from: Bingenito
I know the question is directed to Rick but I thought that I would share that I heard a DEQX array. It was the same dipole array  (yes I have read that DEQX does not do as well with Dipoles) that Rick heard a few months back.

The owner has the speakers voiced a little more laid back then the Incredarray but is using Seas Excel mid-bass drivers.

Since Rick was over there the owner has been tweaking the system. I have to tell you that the soundstage was down right spooky. He played a few tracks I have n ...

I'm interested in working with the DEQX on dipoles to see what kind of performance I can get out of such a system. I agree that the bass in that system is very good but it takes a tremendous amount of equalization to do that.

ekovalsky

DEQX array
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:09 am »
The vast majority of the truly great systems I have heard at residences, dealers, and shows, have been dipoles.  Usually they were mated with a dynamic subwoofer system.

I still wish I had kept my Apogee Divas and Muse18 subs   :cry:

ncaudioo

DEQX/ line arrays
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:04 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks for the kind words about the system, you heard it in the 45" version with 8 of the excels per side, last night (at about 2 AM), the new 90" arrays were completed in "test" form, these use 15 excels per side and 2 stacked 45" newforms per side. The linkwitz dipole subs got moved out to side walls which changed the room response, I'll have to run a new correction curve for the system, the music went on as soon as everything was connected. The sound improved notably in some key areas, you'll have to come back out to listen. Re the dipole bass, it takes a bit of getting used to and one has to have the equipment to do the neccessary EQ, but it provides very fast detailed dynamic bass and once one is used to it, most all monopole bass just sounds boomy and too involved with the listening room.

Roger

Bingenito

DEQX array
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:10 pm »
Thanks for the kind words about the system, you heard it in the 45" version with 8 of the excels per side, last night (at about 2 AM), the new 90" arrays were completed in "test" form, these use 15 excels per side and 2 stacked 45" newforms per side. The linkwitz dipole subs got moved out to side walls which changed the room response, I'll have to run a new correction curve for the system, the music went on as soon as everything was connected. The sound improved notably in some key areas, you'll have to come back out to listen. Re the dipole bass, it takes a bit of getting used to and one has to have the equipment to do the neccessary EQ, but it provides very fast detailed dynamic bass and once one is used to it, most all monopole bass just sounds boomy and too involved with the listening room.

Let me know when you have everything complete and tweaked out. I will take a 3 hr drive to hear 8ft dipole arrays  :D

Jim Griffin

Use of DEQX with a Line Array
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:26 pm »
I have used my DEQX with my Needles line array (16 Tang Band W3-871S and a single Aurum Cantus G3 per side).  While I can not A-B versus the passive crossover, I can tell you that the DEQX calibration process creates an exceptional crossover and great sound.  I started with roughly the same crossover points as for the passive network but clearly with higher slopes.  The results are scary good and very natural in my opinion.  

I'm new to the DEQX (received it a month ago) but I found it relatively easy to set-up and to use.  As I use it more, likely I can tweak to it to even improve the results.  The ability to room correct is a definite plus in my mind.

Jim

tkp

Re: Use of DEQX with a Line Array
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2005, 02:42 pm »
Quote from: Jim Griffin
I have used my DEQX with my Needles line array (16 Tang Band W3-871S and a single Aurum Cantus G3 per side).  While I can not A-B versus the passive crossover, I can tell you that the DEQX calibration process creates an exceptional crossover and great sound.  I started with roughly the same crossover points as for the passive network but clearly with higher slopes.  The results are scary good and very natural in my opinion.  

I'm new to the DEQX (received it a month ago) but I found it relatively easy t ...

This is very promissing.  I plan to use DEQX with the Incredarray at some point but not right now.  The cost is simply too high and it is relatively new so I am hoping that the price for DEQX like system will drop in the future with more setup data available.  Hopefully Rick will come up with a DEQX setup for his line array designs in the future for existing and potential customers :-).

Bingenito

DEQX array
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2005, 04:50 pm »
TKP

I am with you on holding off. Not so much for the cost but in a few yrs the DEQX you buy for $3k will be improved. Maybe easier to use, better DAC, etc

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
DEQX array
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2005, 09:08 pm »
Quote from: Bingenito
TKP

I am with you on holding off. Not so much for the cost but in a few yrs the DEQX you buy for $3k will be improved. Maybe easier to use, better DAC, etc

If you can afford it now why wait?   :scratch:

Although this is a constantly changing/evolving technology, the impact it has on a system is well beyond the cost a simple component upgrade.

George

Bingenito

DEQX array
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2005, 09:42 pm »
If you can afford it now why wait?  

Although this is a constantly changing/evolving technology, the impact it has on a system is well beyond the cost a simple component upgrade.

I have given this some serious thought from the second Rick mentioned that he was looking at using DEQX on an array and providing a file that could be used.

2 thoughts preventing me from taking the plunge:

1.) There are 30 day trials for DEQX but I would also need 2 more amps, extra interconnects, etc and if I do not like the unit I have to return all of the gear.

2.) I jumped on SACD spent more money then I care to mention and you know the rest of the story...... (now I just think twice before buying new technology)

Unless I hear a system with and w/o DEQX I am not real big into changing things around. You might say that I need some convincing that this technology is evolved before I change my system to integrate a DEQX.

Room correction is very nice. If there was a component like a TACT that did not add digital conversion I would demo that.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
DEQX array
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2005, 09:47 pm »
I understand the hesitation on using the Tact since it does a conversion, but to my ears, the correction is so much more positive than the negative of the conversion that you still come out well ahead in terms of the improvement to the sound.

If you have any way of trying the Tact preamp, I heartily recommend you give it a try.

In terms of correction in thr analog domain, there is the Rives product.

George

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
DEQX array
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2005, 02:40 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
The vast majority of the truly great systems I have heard at residences, dealers, and shows, have been dipoles.  Usually they were mated with a dynamic subwoofer system.

I still wish I had kept my Apogee Divas and Muse18 subs   :cry:

I think dipoles can do some things very well but the large planar and ribbon types (Magnepan, Apogee, etc.) really have limitations in dynamics and sensitivity. The Linkwitz Orion and a similar speaker I've heard will give you the advantages of the planars without their drawbacks. The only issue is room placement and they still need to be out a fair distance from the rear wall.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
DEQX array
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2005, 02:44 am »
Quote from: zybar
I understand the hesitation on using the Tact since it does a conversion, but to my ears, the correction is so much more positive than the negative of the conversion that you still come out well ahead in terms of the improvement to the sound.

If you have any way of trying the Tact preamp, I heartily recommend you give it a try.

George

I had a chance to hear an older version of the TacT on my arrays and it sounded very transparent to me.

Brad V

DEQX array
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2005, 05:02 am »
Quote from: zybar

George

I don't blame Bingenito, as I had told him all about my results with my Tact RCS 2.2X. Since we both have a Line array, the use of the Tact is not as much of an improvement, as on point source speakers. Before I sold my Tact RCS 2.2X, I was able to place my Excelarray's utilizing the Tact RCS 2.2X for measuring purposes. The outcome became so close to an E Curve, that the Tact didn't benefit me much. I was able to take the money from the Tact Sale and invest it in a good SET amp and Vinyl. The end result was a much greater improvement than what the Tact yielded me.

Now don't get me wrong, as I'm a big advocate for the Tact RCS 2.2X unit and what it will do for people who mostly use ceedees. For vinyl, it trashed the sound and removed the magic.

Brad

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Re: Use of DEQX with a Line Array
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2005, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: Jim Griffin

I'm new to the DEQX (received it a month ago) but I found it relatively easy t ...

Good to hear that you're happy with the results. I think that driver format can really benefit from the high order slopes. Have you tried applying the room correction? I'm curious as to how it would affect the sound of that type of design.

Jim Griffin

DEQX array
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2005, 08:19 pm »
Rick,

I did the room correction as a part of the DEQX calibration procedure.  The corrections were subtle and while I can not compare before and after, I would think that the room calibration is worthwhile.  Actually, I found that the process to be straightforward but you do have to know how to make a decent measurement of the speakers.  DEQX is all about   measurements as you realize.  I suspect that a knowledgeable user could do a good job of room cal given that the speaker measurements and crossover adjustments have been previously determined.  

Jim

Bingenito

DEQX array
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2005, 09:44 pm »
I would be very interested to hear from a highly skilled passive crossover designer that applied DEQX to a design and then compared the passive to the active crossover.

Hint, hint.......

So far I have only really heard from people that sell them that this device is like the second coming  :lol: . Others have commented that the device has some benefits and some people have returned them for various reasons.

I want a non biased view from someone who is more then Joe DIY.

Jim Griffin

DEQX array
« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2005, 01:44 am »
Bingenito,

I'm non-commercial (nonprofit) in the speaker world so I have no axes to grind to support the sales of DEQX or any other gadget for speakers.  I'm involved in the design of speakers for my own satisfaction and the ability to use some of my technical skills.  I don't need the worry about running my own company or from where my next buck comes.

Having said that, in my mind the DEQX technology is the cutting edge of what direction the industry will likely follow in the next decade.  DEQX or equivalent technology promises to eliminate the speaker as the major source of distortion and imperfections in the music reproduction process.  

Using a DEQX system isn't for the non-techno inclined person though.  You need to have a some understanding of how to make measurements and what the data means once you have it.  The procedure is straightforward and the software is maturing in its user interface but you do have to work through the details.  It is not surprising that some people who might like to have the benefits of the DEQX system yet can not deal with the calibration process.

I suggest that if you are interested in DEQX (or its results) that you find someone who can demo their unit to show you what it can do and how it sounds.

Jim