DEQX array

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
DEQX array
« Reply #40 on: 9 Sep 2005, 04:37 am »
I'm sorry, my ears were ringing :)  

Well, let me say that I never said that line arrays aren't good for DEQX, though I stand by my statements that a single driver or horn design isn't exactly a great idea.  I think point sources clearly benefit most, then line arrays.  The problem with line arrays is getting a good measurement.  The better the measurement, the better the output.  So you need to haul the necessarily large speakers outside, unless you have a nice big room.   The other reason that point sources benefit more is that, with line arrays, you already have low driver distortion, high output and a wider sweetspot because of the 3dB radiation, so that allows point sources to pretty well catch up to line arrays in those areas.  Tpically, a pointsource is going to have a more focused, "tighter" sound and a line array will have more output and a "bigger" sound.  Both will benefit greatly in the bass department.  In any case, ain't nothing wrong with either approach.  

So, congrats on the DEQX setup, it's about damned time!  At least I have room in my mailbox for other messages now  :lol:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
DEQX array
« Reply #41 on: 12 Sep 2005, 02:31 am »
Quote from: John Ashman
I'm sorry, my ears were ringing  

Well, let me say that I never said that line arrays aren't good for DEQX, though I stand by my statements that a single driver or horn design isn't exactly a great idea. I think point sources clearly benefit most, then line arrays. The problem with line arrays is getting a good measurement. The better the measurement, the better the output. So you need to haul the necessarily large speakers outside, unless you have a nice big room. The other reason that point sources benefit more is that, with line arrays, you already have low driver distortion, high output and a wider sweetspot because of the 3dB radiation, so that allows point sources to pretty well catch up to line arrays in those areas. Tpically, a pointsource is going to have a more focused, "tighter" sound and a line array will have more output and a "bigger" sound. Both will benefit greatly in the bass department. In any case, ain't nothing wrong with either approach.

So, congrats on the DEQX setup, it's about damned time! At least I have room in my mailbox for other messages now ...

I think a horn system could benefit but it would take some work. I've not had any problems with the DEQX as far as array measurements. While the DEQX will lower the distortion and increase headroom for point source systems it cannot overcome the sheer output capability and 3db vs. 6db decrease in output for a line array versus point source. I've also sold two RC4 systems to customers who had auditioned the NHT Xd system so obviously the driver format is also very important regardless of whether a passive crossover or DEQX is used.

Line arrays have much better results with the room interface than a point source so the DEQX correction of room modes isn't needed as much. When you have multiple drivers at different path lengths to room boundaries it minimizes standing waves.

I have found the DEQX to be of benefit in specific areas with arrays and in this regard I had underestimated it. If you want the ultimate line array system then the DEQX is what you need.