6-Stack Build

NoahH

6-Stack Build
« on: 19 Dec 2021, 06:02 pm »
I wanted to document bits of the build for these 6-driver-high subs from Jay and Danny.

The speakers are about 7 feet tall, so the boxes were impressive. 12 drivers from GR added up to a giant stack too.

So far, I have gotten one glued up (upside down still). It was actually pretty easy - just glad I had enough bar clamps.

I will unclamp today and start the second. Then it is off to the painters!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: 6-Stack Build
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2021, 07:13 pm »

Did your garage construction resemble this photo? Holy super sub stack! This will be an impressive setup for sure. Gonna be fun to watch the progress.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2021, 08:04 pm »
Very cool!!  What are the dimensions of the room where these will go in?

NoahH

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2021, 08:35 pm »
Very cool!!  What are the dimensions of the room where these will go in?

Irregular. It is an open floorplan main floor.

It is sort of a funnel shape where the speakers are at the narrow point, which is about 15' wide, and out about 6' from the back. The room then widens so that the seating is about 15' away, and the room is ~30' wide at that point (everything up to now is living room). It then goes on behind that into more open area, and gets very irregular as it is kitchen, dining room, etc.

The effective room size for acoustic purposes is... a lot. Maybe 1000 sqft.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2021, 06:07 am by NoahH »

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2021, 06:02 pm »
Glad to see them coming together  Noah :thumb:
Looking forward  to seeing them   and  the speakers after paint

jay

DannyBadorine

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2021, 07:37 pm »
Your neighbor is going to have to get a couple of 8 stacks.........

NoahH

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2021, 03:33 am »
Your neighbor is going to have to get a couple of 8 stacks.........

The neighbors may indeed have... Thoughts... About these.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2021, 01:26 pm »
The neighbors may indeed have... Thoughts... About these.

Wait till they hear them, then they'll want a stack themselves.  :wink:

Chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2021, 06:05 pm »
This is so stupid... I absolutely love it! :thumb: You'd probably be able to reach 100+db without the drivers visibly moving :lol: talk about fast driver reset times... wow!!

Keep us updated! Excited to see them in your room.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2021, 07:23 pm »
GR threads have the best memes.

That much displacement capability will do magic things. Do double-check the servo feedback wiring. I wouldn't want to be in the same county if its reversed and all 6 woofers go into oscillation.

nadirmg

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2021, 08:42 pm »
Holy smokes this is awesome!

Where are you getting yours painted at? Do ppl do this for you or do you mean you'll be painting them yourself?

Jaytor

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2021, 10:04 pm »
These look pretty insane. I'm jealous, but I don't have tall enough ceilings for anything like this. I'm contemplating upgrading my triple stacks with quad stacks though.

Chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2021, 10:32 pm »
These look pretty insane. I'm jealous, but I don't have tall enough ceilings for anything like this. I'm contemplating upgrading my triple stacks with quad stacks though.

If you decide to upgrade... Blue doesn't match too bad with black :wink:

NoahH

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm »
Where are you getting yours painted at? Do ppl do this for you or do you mean you'll be painting them yourself?

Auto body shop. I had to call 5 to get one that will do a non-car job. Doing white with a slight metallic fleck  with clear coat. Nx-tremes getting done at the same time.

"Full range".  :D

Jaytor

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2021, 11:57 pm »
If you decide to upgrade... Blue doesn't match too bad with black :wink:

I'm having my Line Force cabinets painted with Mazda Ceramic Metallic with black bases. I'm not going to upgrade the subs until I've had the Line Forces for a while (unless I decide to do them at the same time - talking to captainhemo). I'll probably have them painted the same Ceramic Metallic color.

Chewbacca

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2021, 03:58 pm »
I'm having my Line Force cabinets painted with Mazda Ceramic Metallic with black bases. I'm not going to upgrade the subs until I've had the Line Forces for a while (unless I decide to do them at the same time - talking to captainhemo). I'll probably have them painted the same Ceramic Metallic color.

I'm sure that's going to look awesome!

I was actually referring to your current triples matching my black Oticas - if you were looking to sell lol. Was half joking, half serious.

Didn't mean to hijack, back to the awesome 6 stack thread! :thumb:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2021, 05:41 am »
Auto body shop. I had to call 5 to get one that will do a non-car job. Doing white with a slight metallic fleck  with clear coat. Nx-tremes getting done at the same time.

"Full range".  :D

Usually no big collision shops would take on that project cause they can make triple the $ off painting old lady bumpers all day. You have to look at the smaller hot rod shops to find people willing to take on these projects. Winter is nice time to squeeze them in too since they're usually slower. The nice part about that is the work of a smaller shop is almost always WAY nicer than if the big collision shop did it. Plan to go in throwing some $ around though cause nice paint isn't cheap and the amount of work sanding and priming them is outrageous.

Noah if you're doing a white pearl paint job, make sure you have some good light sources pointing on them. It'll look basic solid white until the light hits right on it, then the sparkly pearl will pop like crazy. If you're doing your NX-tremes too, that will look super clean and awesome.  :thumb:

mdl62

« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec 2021, 02:07 pm »
Those will be beasts.
The only issue will be moving them around due to the weight.
I have dual triples and those required 2 people to protect the paint.

Will you alternate the driver direction to balance the weight?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec 2021, 02:36 pm »
Oh man you are really going for it, I love it. You’re going to have one hell of a world class listening room when you’re done!

NoahH

« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2021, 03:32 pm »
Quote from: nlitworld
Noah if you're doing a white pearl paint job, make sure you have some good light sources pointing on them. It'll look basic solid white until the light hits right on it, then the sparkly pearl will pop like crazy. If you're doing your NX-tremes too, that will look super clean and awesome.  :thumb:

I had not considered lighting. Good call