Sony PS-LX350H TT: Need Phono Preamp and New Cartridge Advice

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Several years ago, I bought the above TT on Craigs List for next to nothing. At the time, I had a preamp for it, but that is long gone. The TT has been sitting in my garage taking up space. I have a grand total of 35(?) LPs sitting in a closet, so I don't need to spend huge amounts of money on this.

I'd like to get a decent MM cartridge. For the phono pre, I could go SS or tube. Both my amp and preamp are Don Sachs tube gear. For the pre, I wouldn't mind getting a used unit.

Is it worth my while to hang onto this old TT, or would I be better served by buying an inexpensive new TT...or should I just get rid of the TT and sell the vinyl? I have a wonderful sounding DAC and a decent (though not outstanding) CDT.

Michael

RonP

Budget?

mresseguie

Budget?

<$500 for phono pre and new cartridge, I guess(?).

RonP

I would check out the

$199 iFi Zen Phono

+

$305 Nagaoka MP-150

my two cents

(assuming thats not a p-mount TT)

lazydays

<$500 for phono pre and new cartridge, I guess(?).

I'd look at the Darlington and a Grado cartridge.
gary

rotarius

I have a Pro-ject  box S which is very nice for the budget price with adjustable cartridge loading.  For the cart, my pick would be the AT VM95 series up to the nude elliptical level.  I used to have the Nagoaka MP 200 and while it is a decent cart, probably needs to be mated to a better deck.

SET Man

I have a Pro-ject  box S which is very nice for the budget price with adjustable cartridge loading.  For the cart, my pick would be the AT VM95 series up to the nude elliptical level.  I used to have the Nagoaka MP 200 and while it is a decent cart, probably needs to be mated to a better deck.

Hey!

Talk about Audio Technica AT-VM cart, I couldn't agreed more for a great low budget cart. I was curious about the cheapest one the AT-VM95C, the one with conical stylus. So, I got it and is now on my second turntable. It is actually pretty darn good and all for $39. No, if you are pick things apart, it is not as good as my more expensive Hana EL in many way. With the conical stylus the high is not as extend as my Hana EL for sure but that could be an advantage for me since I listen to lots of pop music and many of them are bright on top end. But once the music start, it is actually a very enjoyable sounding cart.

Although, I've never heard iFi Zen Phono but it does look great for the price, I guess you can buy it try it out, send it back if you don't like it. That with Audio Technica AT-VMC could be a good start all for less than $250... use the rest of the money to buy record brush, cart weight scale and of course more records.

Buddy

« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2021, 05:25 am by SET Man »

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
The Schiit Mani is very well reviewed and is a little over $100. I don't think you can do appreciably better for under $400, unless you like to play with your gear. If you do then look into the Parks phono preamp. So many tools and adjustments you can make. This is a digital preamp so many consider that sacrilege!

Cart would be AT150MX. Tried and true with 1000's of satisfied customers.
There is always the Denons: 103 and 110 as well. Big fan club.

Don't buy any of this stuff unless you are willing to set it up, or have it set up properly.

Remember, you are spending up to $500 to listen to 35 records.

mresseguie

My thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I'll look into all the phono pre suggestions. I've been in the digital camp for several years now, but everytime I notice my TT in the garage, I wonder what those albums sound like. It may just be time to clean the dust off, buy a new cartridge, and get a budget pre to hear if there's still some magic in those LPs.

Michael

RonP

I almost mentioned that AT-VM95. It does seem well regarded.

twitch54

Re: Sony PS-LX350H TT: Need Phono Preamp and New Cartridge Advice
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2021, 09:19 pm »
don't forget to include 'record cleaning' stuff in your budget

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2021, 09:58 pm »
My need for instant gratification drove my choice of phono pre. The iFi Zen will arrive in a couple days. The Schiit Mani won't ship for a few weeks. I haven't decided on which cartridge to buy. I'll snap a photo of the existing one and post it here.

Twitch54: Thanks for reminding me about a brush. That's my next purchase.

Michael

Is this a P-mount cartridge?

rotarius

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2021, 10:40 pm »
Yes,  with a Pmount adapter to fit in the standard head shell. You might just want to get a stylus for the Stanton instead of a cart.  If your albums are pop/rock, the Stanton will work nicely.

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm »
Yes,  with a Pmount adapter to fit in the standard head shell. You might just want to get a stylus for the Stanton instead of a cart.  If your albums are pop/rock, the Stanton will work nicely.

Interesting! I'll double check, but I think my LPs are mostly Jazz.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2021, 10:56 pm »
Yep, looks like a P mount adaptor.  And I agree that there's nothing wrong with that cartridge.  I'll look at options for stylus upgrades. 

Looks like an extra $40 buys a slightly better stylus than the original.  https://www.lpgear.com/product/STAD0071EE.html
If you can set up a cartridge, you can do better, but with a new stylus, that Stanton will do a decent job and play your records reasonably accurately. 

rotarius

« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2021, 11:03 pm »
Take a look at Lpgear and Turntableneedles, they have the stylus.  I think that way you won't have to mess with aligning a new cart.  That can be frustrating for someone not familiar with the ritual.  Assuming the current cart has been setup by someone with experience.

RonP

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2021, 11:52 pm »
My need for instant gratification drove my choice of phono pre. The iFi Zen will arrive in a couple days. The Schiit Mani won't ship for a few weeks. I haven't decided on which cartridge to buy. I'll snap a photo of the existing one and post it here.

You should be fine! I have a Mani unplugged in the vinyl storage closet. I used it before upgrading. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

You'll probably like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-nOhTtsNk (Reviewing the iFi Zen Phono Pre-Amp: Does This Beat the Schiit Mani?)

Also.. stylus replacement/upgrade is solid advice!

mresseguie

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:36 am »
Yep, looks like a P mount adaptor.  And I agree that there's nothing wrong with that cartridge.  I'll look at options for stylus upgrades. 

Looks like an extra $40 buys a slightly better stylus than the original.  https://www.lpgear.com/product/STAD0071EE.html
If you can set up a cartridge, you can do better, but with a new stylus, that Stanton will do a decent job and play your records reasonably accurately.

This is great! I'm ordering this stylus now. Thank you!  :thumb:

Take a look at Lpgear and Turntableneedles, they have the stylus.  I think that way you won't have to mess with aligning a new cart.  That can be frustrating for someone not familiar with the ritual.  Assuming the current cart has been setup by someone with experience.

I can only hope it was set up by someone knowledgable enough to not muck it up. If the music sounds off, I can take it to a local shop for advice.

Thanks, everyone!

mresseguie

« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2021, 07:32 pm »
Thanks again, everyone who chimed in to offer me help!  :thumb:

Everything I ordered has been delivered, unboxed, and plugged in/installed. I removed a small box of LPs which I purchased from S. Clark in 2018(!) and selected Staircase by Keith Jarrett and....there's a bit of hum. I'm unsure if it's a cable crosstalk issue; the ground wire isn't attached to a ground, an incompatability issue, or if the hum is coming out of an old and rotting TT's innards.

Initially, the Zen's gain was set at '1'. I had to turn the volume way up to hear the piano, so I tried the '2' setting....and the '3', and '4'....Oddly, the different gain settings didn't seem to have much effect.  :scratch: [Oopsies! I just read the instructions. The '1' position is for MM cartridges. '2' to '4' are for MC cartridges.]  I'll go back and jiggle connections, plug in the ground, and gently chastise my TT before trying it again, but I must first wait until after my wife's beloved Roborock (an iRobot vaccuum copy) ceases bulldozing across our main floor. Goddamn thing is incredibly noisy!  :duh: