NX Studio or X-LS Encore

caryking

NX Studio or X-LS Encore
« on: 9 Dec 2021, 08:32 pm »
I’ve read a bunch of reports and watched a lot videos on these two speakers.  I’m confident the tweeter, in the Studios, will offer a more revealing and faster sound; however, between the two speakers, which ones will provide a bigger and thicker midrange.  I’m a fan of a little bloom, in my sound (almost tube like) and I’m trying to decide which way to go.

My initial intuition is to go with the encores.  Thoughts and advice welcomed...

By the way, I will be driving these with a Rega Elicit-R and they will be roughly 5ft from the front wall.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: NX Studio or X-LS Encore
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2021, 09:40 pm »
If you have the budget, go with the Studio Monitors. If not then the X-LSEncores. A pair of X-CS Encores will provide more weight and fullness in the midrange compared to the X-LS while still being easier on the budget.

To summarize, from a performance perspective the three speakers would line up NX Studio, X-CS Encores, then X-LS Encores

mkrawcz

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:31 pm »
It’s a lot more than just the tweeter. Pretty much everything about the Studios is WAY better than the Encores. I would say you would be happy with the Encores as long as you never listen to the Studios.  :D

caryking

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:07 pm »
One other thing...  I want a complete set, built by someone.

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:20 pm »
In that case, you would probably end up paying someone a lot of money to build you a pair of Studios vs competed Encores from GR-Research.
https://www.gr-research.com/store/p133/X-LS_Encore.html

caryking

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:23 pm »
Yea, I added that I wanted them built looking for some volunteer (pay for this, of course). 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:33 pm »
NX-Studio all the way.  The midrange on that thing is just magical.  Tweeter is excellent too.  Way way better than the X series. 

I believe that some of people providing flat packs will also assemble the speaker and even finish it, for a fee of course. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:53 pm »
I’m a big fan of the X-CS as a pair of monitors. I agree with mlundy57 in that they have a fuller lower midrange.  They’re a sealed speaker so they roll off the bass nicely.  Definitely what your looking for provided you have good stands for them. 

Sure, if you want to go all out the NX Studios will be great but they have their compromises as well.

caryking

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2021, 12:17 am »

Sure, if you want to go all out the NX Studios will be great but they have their compromises as well.

Tell me about the compromises.  I understand they don’t play deep bass.. other than that, what else?

corndog71

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2021, 01:19 am »
They cost more.  :lol:

I think it has been said they weren’t ideal if you want to crank them in a large room. 

I can safely say the X-CS has great power handling. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2021, 01:26 am »
Tell me about the compromises.  I understand they don’t play deep bass.. other than that, what else?
They cause your XLS Encores to take up storage space in the basement.  :D

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2021, 02:58 am »

They make you a snob and ruin you for all other bookshelf speakers. :lol:

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2021, 12:45 pm »
Studios with 8” servo subs if possible. If not, then at least a servo sub with them. Honestly, you can get yourself a SVS 2000 pro, and be good. Don’t need to be a servo subwoofer.

Studios are beautiful! They really are, but if your going for home theater, or loud music… maybe the X-LS rather. Not saying studios won’t go loud. What is the use for? What kind of music!

More refined like classical, vocal, stuff like so, studios. If we are going to Jamb out to Pantera, or FFDP or maybe some dubstep… go for the X-LS. As well for the price, you’ll have money left over.

mkrawcz

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2021, 01:03 pm »
Studios with 8” servo subs if possible. If not, then at least a servo sub with them. Honestly, you can get yourself a SVS 2000 pro, and be good. Don’t need to be a servo subwoofer.

Studios are beautiful! They really are, but if your going for home theater, or loud music… maybe the X-LS rather. Not saying studios won’t go loud. What is the use for? What kind of music!

More refined like classical, vocal, stuff like so, studios. If we are going to Jamb out to Pantera, or FFDP or maybe some dubstep… go for the X-LS. As well for the price, you’ll have money left over.
I agree with this for the most part. For two channel listening, the decision between the Encores and the Studios should be purely financial. The step up in sound quality with the Studios is so extreme between the two IMO that the price difference is a real head scratcher. In that it's not that much more when you start comparing their sound quality levels with retail speakers. I own both of these speakers and to me it would boil down to simply not being able to afford the extra cost of the Studios.

caryking

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2021, 12:01 am »
Thanks for all the feedback.  This really isn’t a money thing (to a degree); rather, the sound characteristics of the two.  I have always been fond of soft dome tweeters, because, sometimes, ribbons and/or electrostatics have somewhat of a plastic sound, to me.

Now, for the big reveal, I have always been a fan of old ADS speakers.  I know they lack a lot in a number of areas; however, they have this midrange bloom that encapsulates me.  So, between the two, that’s what I’m looking for...

If the Studios are just so much more revealing and sound somewhat thin, that’s not what I’m looking for.  I’m not looking for deep bass, just a full midrange sound coming out of a monitor.

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2021, 12:15 am »
The NX Studio is better than the Encore in every way, including midrange beauty and tone.  The tweeter is even smoother and more beautiful than the soft dome too. 

VinceT

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2021, 03:42 am »
Thanks for all the feedback.  This really isn’t a money thing (to a degree); rather, the sound characteristics of the two.  I have always been fond of soft dome tweeters, because, sometimes, ribbons and/or electrostatics have somewhat of a plastic sound, to me.

Now, for the big reveal, I have always been a fan of old ADS speakers.  I know they lack a lot in a number of areas; however, they have this midrange bloom that encapsulates me.  So, between the two, that’s what I’m looking for...

If the Studios are just so much more revealing and sound somewhat thin, that’s not what I’m looking for.  I’m not looking for deep bass, just a full midrange sound coming out of a monitor.

I have owned many ADS speakers and also current owner of the XLS Encores, in fact I put together a system for my kids in their bedroom consisting of a pair L570s with an old Marantz. System still kicks butt and in some ways I still miss that ADS sound signature in my set up! ADS are still very good speakers, especially if you start jumping up to the three way designs with the dome mids. So I know the sound you are talking about and I think I can give you some comparisons the the GR Research speakers.

I have never heard the NX Studios or that tweeter, but I sure would like to some day. Comparing the Encores to the ADS I had, the ADS are warmer overall. The Encores are more flat and even sounding and do not emphasize anything over the other. The Encores IMHO will not give you that midrange bloom you are looking for, but are a very good reference speaker and do not really impart any coloration on the music in any way. Bad records cansound like crap, great records sound great and you are rewarded. You get out what you put into it. The ADS are more forgiving and do impart it's own characteristic to the music in a good way IMHO. I appreciate what the Encores do so well, that is get out of the way. The ADS will be more rolled off on the top, but have more low mid warmth.

I do not want to speak for the NX Studios here because I never heard them (though would like to some day), I will say after following GR Research products for some time; Danny Ritchie's philosophy seems to insure his speakers measure very flat get out of the way of the music versus imparting any coloration from the speakers to the sound coming out of it. As much as I like ADS, they do seem the add a little something; but I do also enjoy it. The NX Studios are also a sealed design like the ADS. There are many clips on youtube and reviews to give you an idea of how they sound.

NX Series: https://youtu.be/i3SGjBL4Ffg

XLS: https://youtu.be/-LvuYjlsMH0

corndog71

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2021, 04:44 am »
The NX tweeters are smooth and not fatiguing.  If money isn’t an issue then go for the Studios.  They’re not that much more than a pair of X-CS.  I still think the latter have more of what you’re looking for but either way I think you’ll be very impressed.  Danny knows how to make speakers that are fun to live with.  And compared to manufactured speakers they are incredible bargains.

caryking

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2021, 01:08 pm »
I have owned many ADS speakers and also current owner of the XLS Encores, in fact I put together a system for my kids in their bedroom consisting of a pair L570s with an old Marantz. System still kicks butt and in some ways I still miss that ADS sound signature in my set up! ADS are still very good speakers, especially if you start jumping up to the three way designs with the dome mids. So I know the sound you are talking about and I think I can give you some comparisons the the GR Research speakers.

I have never heard the NX Studios or that tweeter, but I sure would like to some day. Comparing the Encores to the ADS I had, the ADS are warmer overall. The Encores are more flat and even sounding and do not emphasize anything over the other. The Encores IMHO will not give you that midrange bloom you are looking for, but are a very good reference speaker and do not really impart any coloration on the music in any way. Bad records cansound like crap, great records sound great and you are rewarded. You get out what you put into it. The ADS are more forgiving and do impart it's own characteristic to the music in a good way IMHO. I appreciate what the Encores do so well, that is get out of the way. The ADS will be more rolled off on the top, but have more low mid warmth.

I do not want to speak for the NX Studios here because I never heard them (though would like to some day), I will say after following GR Research products for some time; Danny Ritchie's philosophy seems to insure his speakers measure very flat get out of the way of the music versus imparting any coloration from the speakers to the sound coming out of it. As much as I like ADS, they do seem the add a little something; but I do also enjoy it. The NX Studios are also a sealed design like the ADS. There are many clips on youtube and reviews to give you an idea of how they sound.

NX Series: https://youtu.be/i3SGjBL4Ffg

XLS: https://youtu.be/-LvuYjlsMH0

Thanks for this response!!!  Being that you are familiar with that ADS sound, I really appreciate your feedback.  Based on the feedback, and other threads, maybe the floor standing Encores will provide a little more bloom as well as the great attributes Danny puts in his speakers.

Thoughts from those that know...  Mike Lundy has had the floor standers, in his house...

EdwardT

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2021, 03:14 pm »
I built the X-SLS (after assembling and listening to a pair of XLs) based upon the assumption that the larger cabinet would reach lower notes and I am not disappointed. I've been listening to ADS L620s for many years (they still play in my shop) and the SLS beats them in every way, lows, mids and highs, and I’m only half way thru the break-in period for the upgraded caps.