NX Studio or X-LS Encore

caryking

Re: NX Studio or X-LS Encore
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2021, 03:35 pm »
I built the X-SLS (after assembling and listening to a pair of XLs) based upon the assumption that the larger cabinet would reach lower notes and I am not disappointed. I've been listening to ADS L620s for many years (they still play in my shop) and the SLS beats them in every way, lows, mids and highs, and I’m only half way thru the break-in period for the upgraded caps.

Thanks for this reply.  That’s kind of what I was hoping to hear...  BTW, I’m currently using a pair Thiel CS 1.something...  my ADS are 780/2’s.  I prefer the overall sound of the ADS to the Theil’s.  Each one has their attributes; however, the ADS are just more listenable.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2021, 06:08 pm »
The X-series box speakers have two driver X-LS/X-SLS and three driver (MTM) X-CS/X-MTM versions.

The two driver version can be built into a ported stand mount cabinet, X-LS and a larger ported floor standing cabinet, X-SLS. The main difference is the larger floor standing cabinet has more bass extension (plays lower); X-LS - 55Hz, X-SLS - 45Hz

The three driver version can also be built into a smaller sealed stand mounted cabinet, X-CS and a larger ported floor standing cabinet, X-MTM. Again the main difference between these two versions is the larger floor stander plays lower; X-CS - 70Hz, X-MTM - 40Hz

The main difference between the two driver and three driver versions is the three driver versions have a fuller  more balanced midrange. This does not mean the midrange is bloated, just more solid and better sounding.

My personal preference for a box speaker in the X-series is for the floor standing X-MTM version and for full range sound (20HZ-20kHz) with a sealed servo sub for the bottom octave.

A sealed servo sub can also pair with the less visually imposing stand mounted X-CS for a full range speaker. This would be my second choice for an X-Series box speaker setup.

However, my first choice by far in the X-Series is the X-Statik (-3 @ 48Hz) with a sealed servo sub for full range. These really don't need to be pulled that much further into the room than the X-MTMs. While the X-MTMs need to be at least 12" - 18" off the wall and the X-Statiks need to be at least 36" off the wall, the 12-18" for the MTMs is measured from the wall to the back of the speaker while the 36" for the X-Statiks is measured from the wall to the front of the speaker. Since the X-MTMs are 16-1/2" deep, this means the front of the X-Statiks are only 2-8" further into the room than the front of the X-MTMs. If midrange performance is your bag, the X-Statik is the way to go.

The NX-Studio Monitor has a different type of presentation. It has been described by many as one of the best stand mounted speaker you can get. It is sealed so would need a sealed servo sub for full range performance. It also has higher quality components in the crossover standard compared to the X-Series.

Here is what Danny says on his website about the comparison between X-LS and NX-Studio: "The Studio is technically the better speaker but the Encore sounds different so its a little complicated. We believe the Studio is a better bet for listeners that cant bring speakers deep into the room. Again, they are sealed so they wont dig quite as low as the Encores as well. Both measure extremely well but where the Studios shine is what they are able to offer with the GR Neo tweeter, which is open baffle. All cymbal hits and top end extension will sound precise and 3 dimensional. The Encores can offer close to the same performance upgraded but cant compete with the laser focus and precision the Studio brings to the table. Heck, get both. They are both awesome."

If you fully upgrade the crossovers in either the X-MTM or X-Statik it's going to come down to taste. I know you didn't ask about the X-Statik but you would be well served to give it due consideration. Hobbs has experience with both an upgraded X-Statik and NX-Studio. Maybe he will chime in with a detailed description of their performance. Not so much which he likes better but a description of what he hears the similarities and differences to be. Even better would be to take a trip to Danny's if possible.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2021, 06:56 pm »
This is why Danny doesn’t do much if any marketing.  His customers are happy to do it for him.

tasar

« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2021, 06:56 pm »
Will we see a "MTM" version of the Studio, wouldn't know it via the website 🤔

caryking

« Reply #24 on: 12 Dec 2021, 08:17 pm »
I have no space problem with my speakers out in the room.  Currently, the back of my current speakers are 48” from the front wall.  On all the X series speakers, the following are dimensions, based on the plans from GR-Research website and Mike’s post:

X-LS

H - 13.5
W - 8.5
D - 12
Down to: 55Hz

X-SLS

H - 37
W - 8.5
D - 12
Down to: 45Hz

X-CS

H - 20
W - 8.5
D - 15.5
Down to: 70Hz

X-MTM

H - 46
W - 8.5
D - 16.5
Down to: 40Hz

X-Static

H - 48
W - 8.5
D - 16
Down to: 48Hz

The X-CS “Down to” looks off...

corndog71

« Reply #25 on: 12 Dec 2021, 08:30 pm »
Yeah, I remember them going lower than 70Hz.  They may start dropping at 70 but it’s not a steep roll off.  I used them without a sub for years.

Redheart

« Reply #26 on: 12 Dec 2021, 09:19 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  This really isn’t a money thing (to a degree); rather, the sound characteristics of the two.  I have always been fond of soft dome tweeters, because, sometimes, ribbons and/or electrostatics have somewhat of a plastic sound, to me.

Now, for the big reveal, I have always been a fan of old ADS speakers.  I know they lack a lot in a number of areas; however, they have this midrange bloom that encapsulates me.  So, between the two, that’s what I’m looking for...

If the Studios are just so much more revealing and sound somewhat thin, that’s not what I’m looking for.  I’m not looking for deep bass, just a full midrange sound coming out of a monitor.

I built the studio, and i can tell you they anything but thin! It's the most reveling speaker, such transparency, and it's never harsh or piercing. The vocals are astonishing of transparency as well, and they are just so huge mad so full, they are never thin like you may guess. They are really really huge and full!
I don't know the encores, but the studios are really addictive.

I would say the studio are straight, but are voiced slightly warmer and slightly soft on the highs, it's just a hint though. I have them up the front wall to minimize room boom, and in that config the bass rivals big towers. The bass is surprisingly well behaved and goes very deep with room amplification. Like Danny says, they might lack bass when put well into a big treated room, but that's true for all stand mounts i believe.
If you have a big room, i wouldn't look at stand mounters anyways.
Don't believe because the studio have the planar tweeter they are thin. I found out the highs on the studio are just silky smooth and hyper transparent. I listen to some very heavy stuff (try  Loathe's "Agressive Evolution") and it sounds glorious on the studios! It's the best monitor speakers period. Just build them already!😊
They are great for all genders of music from classical to EDM IMHO.

caryking

« Reply #27 on: 12 Dec 2021, 10:04 pm »
Regarding the Studios, everything talks about the ability to put them close to the front wall.  I am always going to put the back of the speaker around 4ft our front the front wall.

Really, reading this, most of the time, that’s why I keep looking towards the X-Series of speakers.  I get the tweeter detail of the Studios; however, that may be an issue for the type of music I listen to...

I am 100% streaming with the vast majority being late 50’s to early 60’s jazz.  So, I wouldn’t say the recording are awful; rather, they are different.  I am all about creating the largest soundstage I can get.

I do have a moderately sized room and prefer small to mid-sized monitors in my room.  I’ve never had an success with subs, therefore I always shy away from them...

mkrawcz

« Reply #28 on: 12 Dec 2021, 10:38 pm »
Regarding the Studios, everything talks about the ability to put them close to the front wall.  I am always going to put the back of the speaker around 4ft our front the front wall.

Really, reading this, most of the time, that’s why I keep looking towards the X-Series of speakers.  I get the tweeter detail of the Studios; however, that may be an issue for the type of music I listen to...

I am 100% streaming with the vast majority being late 50’s to early 60’s jazz.  So, I wouldn’t say the recording are awful; rather, they are different.  I am all about creating the largest soundstage I can get.

I do have a moderately sized room and prefer small to mid-sized monitors in my room.  I’ve never had an success with subs, therefore I always shy away from them...
If you’re so worried about it, then get the X-series. Like I said before, as long as you never listen to the NX-Studios, you will be happy.

corndog71

« Reply #29 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:02 pm »

Then I would again recommend a pair of X-CS.  If you do order them then remember to get two as they are sold individually.  I also recommend all of the upgrades and a couple sheets of No Rez.

jmac

« Reply #30 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:38 pm »
I've  had ADS l710's and they were nice speakers . I gave them to my nephew and replaced them with the NX Studios. I've also had Thiel 1.6 , paradigms and AR3'S and some others. haven't listened to the Encores These are by far the best that I've owned. They're just braking in. They sound terrific and will even get better with time. Good luck with your search. John

corndog71

« Reply #31 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:49 pm »
I’ll admit my song choice was a little outside the norm but here’s an old video I shot of them to highlight male vocals.  Rega Planet CD player - Bottlehead Quickie tube preamp - Dynaco ST70 with Curcio driver circuit.  X-CS lined with No Rez and I had the upgraded crossovers sitting on top.

https://youtu.be/yi-lmFVA2l4

If the audio sounds sketchy at all it’s more from YouTube compression.  I wouldn’t have posted it if it sounded bad.

caryking

« Reply #32 on: 13 Dec 2021, 11:57 am »
I’ll admit my song choice was a little outside the norm but here’s an old video I shot of them to highlight male vocals.  Rega Planet CD player - Bottlehead Quickie tube preamp - Dynaco ST70 with Curcio driver circuit.  X-CS lined with No Rez and I had the upgraded crossovers sitting on top.

https://youtu.be/yi-lmFVA2l4

If the audio sounds sketchy at all it’s more from YouTube compression.  I wouldn’t have posted it if it sounded bad.

corndog, what are the speakers in the demo video of the EL84 amps with Sara Niemitz?

corndog71

« Reply #33 on: 13 Dec 2021, 03:41 pm »
Those are X-LS.  Fully upgraded.