X3's are here! Unboxing, setup and Initial listening impressions

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Hit 500 hours today and wow that was a pretty major change.  Looking back, I noticed major changes at 100 hours, 200 hours and now 500 hours. 

DBT AUDIO

Hit 500 hours today and wow that was a pretty major change.  Looking back, I noticed major changes at 100 hours, 200 hours and now 500 hours.
Tyson, how in the world are you able to get 500 hours on your X3s so fast?  My system is setup in the family at this time and I wish I could run my system for long periods of time for break in.  If I lived by myself, I would run the system as long as I needed to.  However, the plan is to finish my basement next year and I'll have a dedicated room to play music all night!

Tyson

Tyson, how in the world are you able to get 500 hours on your X3s so fast?  My system is setup in the family at this time and I wish I could run my system for long periods of time for break in.  If I lived by myself, I would run the system as long as I needed to.  However, the plan is to finish my basement next year and I'll have a dedicated room to play music all night!

I've rotated through so much gear over the years that I'm quite the professional at burn in now, haha.  I'm single so that helps too :P.  But at night I'll put on pink noise at a medium-low level, then during the day I'll play music and/or send 40-30hz bass sweeps through the speakers so the drivers get some movement. 

DBT AUDIO

I've rotated through so much gear over the years that I'm quite the professional at burn in now, haha.  I'm single so that helps too :P.  But at night I'll put on pink noise at a medium-low level, then during the day I'll play music and/or send 40-30hz bass sweeps through the speakers so the drivers get some movement.
Ah ha!  I see…. I do have a burn in cd I purchased last year that I like to use as well.  What burn in cd are you using?

mkrawcz

Are we close to a detailed Tyson review and comparison to the Super7s?

Tyson

Ah ha!  I see…. I do have a burn in cd I purchased last year that I like to use as well.  What burn in cd are you using?

Might be the best title I’ve seen all year.  Haha!!

Are we close to a detailed Tyson review and comparison to the Super7s?

Well every time I think I have a handle on the X3’s, they go and change on me!  I’ll give it another couple weeks and then do a full review.

DBT AUDIO

Might be the best title I’ve seen all year.  Haha!!

Well every time I think I have a handle on the X3’s, they go and change on me!  I’ll give it another couple weeks and then do a full review.
I can’t listen to music when I’m not really in the mood, especially when I’m tired.  When I force myself to listen to music, it can seem bright and too loud and that’s with the volume at my desired listening levels.  However, I had some good and bad days with my X5s during the break in period.  Some days they sounded astonishing, some days I thought, “what happened?”  They are my favorite speakers I’ve had in my house thus far!

atlvalet

I have a set of Vandy 3A Sigs and subs, but just heard some Emerald Physics speakers.

Man, I can only assume the X3's are even better.

Donovan84

As mentioned by others here, the X3s will sound suddenly magical one day when they’re broken in. I’m amazed at mine every time I listen to music. The bass is spectacular, as is the overall soundstage. Clayton really knows how to produce a superlative speaker.

Do you use your X3’s for everyday listening with TV programming? If yes, assuming they sound good for this purpose? I’m in a similar situation, I don’t have a dedicated music only room. Anyone else using their Spatial Audio speakers in a dual duty purpose?

Onadifferentnote

A word to the wise, having a dedicated listening room has its advantages, setting up your room to meet the best possible sound possible.  The possible disadvantages. spending more time with the stereo than the family/Wife.  I went down that road and had the best room I could lust for, but a couple years later sold the perfect room and the new house it was in, due to a divorce.  Funny, when I was single, I didn't listen to much music.  Had to sell the system to rebuild my life as divorce was also expensive.

In my new marriage, I always put the emphasis on my wife and kids and my X-3's sound great in my family room and my toddler dances to the music as its her room too.  Is it the perfect room, no, but it still sounds fantastic and my amazing wife likes the acoustical panels i got for the walls.  Your mileage in your situation may vary and this probably doesn't apply to you, but I am sure some in this hobby may have priorities out of alignment (like I did) and if this saves one marriage my post is worth it. A balanced life is the best sounding system I could want. Lessons learned from my audio journey.  Peace and happiness wishes for all in this holiday season.

abomwell

Sage advice! Everything in moderation.

Tyson

A word to the wise, having a dedicated listening room has its advantages, setting up your room to meet the best possible sound possible.  The possible disadvantages. spending more time with the stereo than the family/Wife.  I went down that road and had the best room I could lust for, but a couple years later sold the perfect room and the new house it was in, due to a divorce.  Funny, when I was single, I didn't listen to much music.  Had to sell the system to rebuild my life as divorce was also expensive.

In my new marriage, I always put the emphasis on my wife and kids and my X-3's sound great in my family room and my toddler dances to the music as its her room too.  Is it the perfect room, no, but it still sounds fantastic and my amazing wife likes the acoustical panels i got for the walls.  Your mileage in your situation may vary and this probably doesn't apply to you, but I am sure some in this hobby may have priorities out of alignment (like I did) and if this saves one marriage my post is worth it. A balanced life is the best sounding system I could want. Lessons learned from my audio journey.  Peace and happiness wishes for all in this holiday season.

We had a nice HT setup when I was married, and we used it all together as a family for the most part.  No stereo equipment anywhere else because those rooms were for other family stuff (and is where we spent most of our time).  And she left me anyway.  So, now I'm single and have 2 very nice setups, one in the living room and one in the HT/basement. 

After 23 years of marriage to the one person I truly trusted and thought would always have my back, I've learned to never trust a woman.  That's what my ex taught me.  I don't see how anyone ever gets married again after stuff like this.

Desertpilot

• Retired
Tyson, enjoy what you have going right now.  At an unexpected moment relationships happen.  I've owned a plane for many years.  Sage advice to me was get the plane first and then the wife.  This worked out for me.  The plane is gone now (sweet memories) and the wife remains (LOL).  So, get your system right to where you want it while you are single.

Marcus

Daryl Zero

We had a nice HT setup when I was married, and we used it all together as a family for the most part.  No stereo equipment anywhere else because those rooms were for other family stuff (and is where we spent most of our time).  And she left me anyway.  So, now I'm single and have 2 very nice setups, one in the living room and one in the HT/basement. 

After 23 years of marriage to the one person I truly trusted and thought would always have my back, I've learned to never trust a woman.  That's what my ex taught me.  I don't see how anyone ever gets married again after stuff like this.

Sorry to hear about your wife. People change over the years. Hopefully, the speakers will be loyal to you.

DBT AUDIO

Do you use your X3’s for everyday listening with TV programming? If yes, assuming they sound good for this purpose? I’m in a similar situation, I don’t have a dedicated music only room. Anyone else using their Spatial Audio speakers in a dual duty purpose?
I use my X5s in a dual setup in my family room.  I have a HT bypass in my PrimaLuna EVO400 preamp that I use with a Marantz surround processor and 5-channel Rotel amp for movies, etc., with the X5s.  I have different gear for 2-channel listening.  The X5s do well with movies.

DBT AUDIO

Wow, I wasn’t expecting a response like this for my post.  I’m not offended, just caught me off guard.  I have no plans to move in the basement when it’s finished with the dedicated listening room. Lol…. I’m disciplined in my time management, so no worries on that end as the Lord orders my steps in this marriage, so I know better.  I’m sorry to hear about your past situation, but I am glad to hear about your current situation! 

Onadifferentnote

Wow, I wasn’t expecting a response like this for my post.  I’m not offended, just caught me off guard.  I have no plans to move in the basement when it’s finished with the dedicated listening room. Lol…. I’m disciplined in my time management, so no worries on that end as the Lord orders my steps in this marriage, so I know better.  I’m sorry to hear about your past situation, but I am glad to hear about your current situation! 

Thanks, Yes, I'm in a much better situation now.  The good lord blessed me.  I'm lucky. Probably shouldn't have posted what I did and it wasn't intended for you.  Probably just to remind myself on my own priorities and if it helped someone that's a good thing. Best holiday wishes and its fun setting up your room!  So glad the X-3's are singing and the love of my life supports my passion!

Tyson

Tyson, enjoy what you have going right now.  At an unexpected moment relationships happen.  I've owned a plane for many years.  Sage advice to me was get the plane first and then the wife.  This worked out for me.  The plane is gone now (sweet memories) and the wife remains (LOL).  So, get your system right to where you want it while you are single.

Marcus

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  The funny thing is I find I actually find myself quite enjoying single life.  We'll see how long it lasts, but for now I'm pretty happy. 

Sorry to hear about your wife. People change over the years. Hopefully, the speakers will be loyal to you.

Maybe so!  I can say this - these speakers have brought me a lot more joy than the last 2 years of my marriage did, haha.

Ozspace

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  The funny thing is I find I actually find myself quite enjoying single life.  We'll see how long it lasts, but for now I'm pretty happy. 

Maybe so!  I can say this - these speakers have brought me a lot more joy than the last 2 years of my marriage did, haha.

Hello Tyson.
I was sad to hear what happened in the past Tyson, and for what it is worth may I offer the following:
1. It is really clear to me, as a newcomer to AudioCircle, the very high regard in which you are held by a great number of people in the audiophile community (not only in the US).
2. From other comments which you have made, you have several very close friends such as Mike Galusha, with whom you share not only the same interests, but clearly a whole lot more.
3. You, and others in the Spatial Audio threads have made me feel very welcome from your replies to my postings, and I am very grateful to you (and the others) for that.
4. From you (and the others), I have learned a great deal, not only about the Spatial Audio speakers, but also about other matters audio (eg electronic pairings which go well with the Spatial Audios), and for that I thank you and the others.
5. I am really enjoying your whole X3 thread, and am looking forward to your future postings especially updated listening impressions etc.
6. As a result of your thread (and the other enjoyable Spatial Audio threads), after a good talk to Clayton a few days ago, I pulled the trigger on some X4s, got in touch with my bank and organised a money transfer, and am now "on the list" of future/soon to be owners. You beauty!

So my friend, (and I hope you are comfortable for me to think of you and the other people who are posting here, in that way), thank you for the knowledge, enthusiasm, friendship, and the other qualities which you and others are bringing to the discussion table here!

All the best from Australia,
Paul.

DBT AUDIO

Thanks, Yes, I'm in a much better situation now.  The good lord blessed me.  I'm lucky. Probably shouldn't have posted what I did and it wasn't intended for you.  Probably just to remind myself on my own priorities and if it helped someone that's a good thing. Best holiday wishes and its fun setting up your room!  So glad the X-3's are singing and the love of my life supports my passion!
No sweat at all.  The good Lord is in the blessing business, so no worries concerning your post!