NX-Studio build

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Studio build
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2021, 03:30 pm »
But all my speaker cables are terminated with spades right now...

Just cut the spades off, strip back the wires and terminate them to high quality banana's like the WBT low mass high purity copper or high purity silver.  It's pretty easy.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2021, 05:21 pm »
Or cut the spades off and install the male tube connector studs. If you need additional male studs, Danny can provide them

petemoss

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:25 am »
Thanks for the cool picture Hobbs!

I think I'll ask a flat +$120 (+$200 total...$80 is built into the cost of the kit) for all species.

That'll be for maple, mahogany, cherry, and walnut.

They will be sold unfinished so that you can pick what finish you'd like and not have to worry about squeeze out or small scrapes during assembly.

We've been using Rubio Monocoat to great success and I'd recommend using it for finishing these baffles!

So if we already have the kit and want to buy these for it...would the cost be $200?

zlib

« Reply #23 on: 1 Nov 2021, 02:48 pm »
Should I insert grill fasteners into top grill frame?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 1 Nov 2021, 03:01 pm »
You can also use magnets as well, mine are just pressure fit thanks to the added thickness of the 3M foam tape i used in the corners and the grill cloth.

The pegs might be a little difficult depending on their size.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 1 Nov 2021, 03:25 pm »
Should I insert grill fasteners into top grill frame?

Gravity does the job pretty well, costs nothing, and comes pre-installed on planet earth. I wouldn't bother.

nadirmg

« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2021, 04:22 am »
Here's one made from Walnut, along with a few other varieties like cherry, maple & mahogany lying behind it.

These will be sold as front baffles only, and aren't compatible with Jay's flatpacks.
We are waiting to hear back from Killian on their final costs as they my vary based on wood type

Woah... the hardwood baffles aren't compatible with the flatpacks from Jay? I just ordered my kit from Danny and flatpack from Jay about two weeks ago. Flatpack should arrive tomorrow. NX Studio kits are delayed because they're waiting for more foil inductors to arrive.

I ordered a Mahogany baffle from Danny but didn't realize they aren't compatible with Jay's flatpack.
Did I screw up? And does Jay's flatpack still come with a stock baffle?

Thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 7 Dec 2021, 01:44 pm »
Correct, the hardwood baffles are only for those who want to build their own cabinets.
They are slightly taller than Jay's flatpacks, but placement and tolerances are also different between them.

Jay's flatpack does include an MDF front baffle.

We just got the foil inductors last week, and tube connectors finally arrived Monday. So we're currently busy going through the massive backlog of orders. We got ~30 orders out yesterday afternoon, and we should be able to get, another 50-60 done today.

If you placed your order over the phone, I can remove it from from your invoice.

nadirmg

« Reply #28 on: 7 Dec 2021, 04:36 pm »
Correct, the hardwood baffles are only for those who want to build their own cabinets.
They are slightly taller than Jay's flatpacks, but placement and tolerances are also different between them.

Jay's flatpack does include an MDF front baffle.

We just got the foil inductors last week, and tube connectors finally arrived Monday. So we're currently busy going through the massive backlog of orders. We got ~30 orders out yesterday afternoon, and we should be able to get, another 50-60 done today.

If you placed your order over the phone, I can remove it from from your invoice.

Oh shoot... I totally didn't understand that from the website when I placed my order online.

Even though I placed my order online is there any way I can have the hardwood baffles removed from my order? I will try calling here in a bit.
Thanks!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 8 Dec 2021, 09:15 pm »
Oh shoot... I totally didn't understand that from the website when I placed my order online.

Even though I placed my order online is there any way I can have the hardwood baffles removed from my order? I will try calling here in a bit.
Thanks!

If you can't, I'll buy them from you.

Mike

nadirmg

« Reply #30 on: 9 Dec 2021, 03:05 pm »
Thanks man! I just sent them back to Danny and company yesterday. They took great care of me!

zlib

« Reply #31 on: 12 Mar 2022, 03:59 pm »
OK, I'm ready to show some progress.
I used Jay's flatpack.

I don't know how you guys do it but cutting No-Rez was NOT an easy task!

I wanted to make crossover replaceable, that's why I drilled 4 holes for bolts at the bottom. I used IKEA's cutting boards for crossover.

Time for gluing!

Not a perfect work but it was my first time.

As you can see, I decided to make additional holes for binding posts.

zlib

« Reply #32 on: 12 Mar 2022, 04:30 pm »
I didn't have a proper space for painting the cabinets, so I took them to a professional. He pointed at some visual problems.

First one is not a perfect symmetry around the tweeter:

He said that he would try to fix it (without any promises).

Second one is joints of glued MDF parts — it's almost impossible to hide them with painting (and my gluing work is far from perfect). He proposed to make hems in order to hide the flaws.

Here is the result.

Gluing No-Rez is much easier than cutting it.

Top part has some problems with painting. The painter said it was due to my gluing work. Not sure about that but it will be covered with grill anyway.

zlib

« Reply #33 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:41 pm »
I opened the box with Neo 3 tweeter and saw this:

Should I cut the extra threads or should I try to put them back inside?

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #34 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:48 pm »
Your build looks very cool.

Ya,I just cut the fuzz with scissors. The magnet will pull on the scissors, lol.

Good work, wait till you hear them :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 12 Mar 2022, 09:14 pm »
I opened the box with Neo 3 tweeter and saw this:

Should I cut the extra threads or should I try to put them back inside?

That happens on occassion. Generally we just stick it back in with something non-magnetic like a pencil.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #36 on: 12 Mar 2022, 09:25 pm »

Second one is joints of glued MDF parts — it's almost impossible to hide them with painting (and my gluing work is far from perfect). He proposed to make hems in order to hide the flaws.

Top part has some problems with painting. The painter said it was due to my gluing work. Not sure about that but it will be covered with grill anyway.

These are all easy to fix, but certainly labor intensive and take time & patience. I spent probably 20 hours of priming and sanding on my pair to hide the same imperfections you discussed. I paid for it in ibuprofen and several contributions to a swear jar. All in all I like the look though. White speakers always look clean and classy.  :thumb: Just wait til you hear them. They look great now, but they'll be jaw dropping when they're done.

zlib

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2022, 10:33 am »
Here is the final assembly:

The length of supplied wire is limited to just one pair of tube connectors, but I wanted to use the same wire for normal binding posts too. Here you can see my solution:

And... they are ready for listening! I'm using traditional speaker cable with spades right now. And it sounds pretty good!

I don't have stands for them, so they are standing on bottom section of Hyperion HPS-938.

The funny thing is I use bi-wire connection for Hyperions and after I connected NX-Studio I forgot to put out speaker cable from bass section of Hyperions. The bass was unexpectedly deep and large but the overall sound was somewhat muddy and veiled. Then I disconnected Hyperions completely and everything started to sound just as I expected.
I'm a picky one, that's why my jaw hasn't dropped. But I must say my NX-Studio produce an impressive sound. You can hear all the details in the recordings and I like that.

Uncle Elvis

« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2022, 03:56 pm »
Looking great. I love the white color and attention to detail!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2022, 04:00 pm »
Very nice!!!!  Those look super cool.  They'll sound ever better when the speakers underneath are taken out of the room.  Why?  Because the drivers in the Hyperions will act as passive radiators and re-radiate any bass from the NX-Studios, making the overall sound less clean.  Proper stands will eliminate this, of course.

Also, the NX-Studios sound good out of the box and you will notice substantial improvements at 50, 100, and 250 hours due to the high quality parts in the crossovers.  Burn in is very real with these guys. 

Are you planning on building out some OB servo subs to mate with them?  OB subs (especially the servo ones that Danny offers) mate particularly well in small and/or difficult rooms.  They also make amazing stands for the NX-Studios.