300B SET for NX speakers

Jaytor

Re: 300B SET for NX speakers
« Reply #40 on: 14 Dec 2021, 05:29 pm »
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, the WE 300Bs are pretty pricey and I'm sure there are diminishing returns involved. But I've spent a fair amount building these amps and really want to see what they are capable of. From everything I've read, the premium tubes provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality. And these are not the most expensive ones out there, not even considering the NOS WE tubes. I'd be really nervous about spending this kind of money (or more) on NOS tubes - some of which I've seen as high as $20K/pair.

genjamon

« Reply #41 on: 14 Dec 2021, 06:01 pm »
I support your quest to explore what these spectacular new amps can do for you.  I had a Lampizator Big7 DAC for several years, which could use 2A3, 45, 101D, or 300B tubes in the output.  I found I liked the sound of 300B tubes the best, and I tried a range of different 300Bs at different price points in them.  Gold Lions were a great sound for a lower budget.  Tubes in the $700-1000 range new definitely were a step up.  But I found things didn't truly come into their own until I nabbed a used set of Takatsuki's.  Until I got to that level of performance, I didn't have the true combination of ultimate transparency along with that wonderful 300B tone.  Anything less than the Takatsuki's were either less transparent, or sacrificed the wonderful tone.  That transparency of the Takatsuki's just totally opened up the presentation into a holographic experience. 

So, my conclusion is that while there are diminishing returns in some senses as you climb the cost ladder, in other senses there can also be quantum leaps in performance if you simply can't get the same experience at a lower quality/price point.   

Best wishes and good luck on your quest.  And as with all the rest of the others on this thread, I'm absolutely drooling at those new amps of yours.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #42 on: 17 Dec 2021, 07:03 pm »
Thanks folks

To be honest, I didn't really look at the instruction manual that much. Since I made so many changes to the base design, and rearranged the position of many components, I primarily went off the schematic. But on the couple of occasions I needed clarification on something, I had no problem finding the answer in the manual.

I think if you were building the kit exactly as designed, you'd find the manual to be very good. Their manuals are available online on ANK's website so you can get an idea of how well done they are.

That is good to know, looking forward to more feedback with your project.

Jaytor

« Reply #43 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05 am »
I decided to order the Western Electric tubes. I placed the order last Tuesday and the tubes showed up today (despite the message on their website to expect 30 days before shipping).

I moved the amps into my main system yesterday (Sunday), and after listening to a couple songs using my Pass XA60.8s, an audiophile friend and I swapped in the 300B SETs. The SET amps sound a bit strained at higher volumes compared to the Pass amps, but still pleasant to listen to. Vocals and guitar, in particular, sound quite nice and perhaps a touch more natural than the Pass amps. But they play loud enough that I think they will be an excellent match to the Line Forces when I get them done (Jay is still waiting for the composite material to fabricate the enclosures).

After plugging in the WE300B tubes this morning, it's obvious that these are a step up from the relatively inexpensive Linai tubes. Right out of the box, the level of clarity and sweetness in the midrange was impressive. WE says these tubes take up to 500 hours to break in.

For the last several hours, I've been listening to Norah Jones, Sophie Zelmani, and Chantal Chamberland - relatively uncomplicated music with beautiful female vocals. On this kind of music, the 300B amps sound gorgeous, even with almost no break-in. I'm looking forward to hearing how they evolve as they get more hours on them.

mkrawcz

« Reply #44 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:16 am »
I bet those amps open up a lot over the first couple hundred hours with the caps you have in them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:25 am »
 :thumb: very nice indeed.

Redheart

« Reply #46 on: 21 Dec 2021, 02:13 am »
That is stunning amps! And it's your first tube build?! Well that is impressive!
You are really lucky to have those powering your upcoming line forces. This should be the most impressive pairing one could ever want! That is a world class system right up there ! Congrats!

morganc

« Reply #47 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:33 am »
Man can I get first dibs on the NX Otica or Amp if you ever sell either ?  Amazing work!! I bet those vocalists are in the room with you with that pairing. 

tom739

« Reply #48 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:10 pm »
Hi Jaytor,
Any more update on your amp sound and pass labs comparisons? How are the WE300b doing?

Jaytor

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:47 pm »
Hi Jaytor,
Any more update on your amp sound and pass labs comparisons? How are the WE300b doing?

They are coming along very nicely. They don't have quite the slam that the Pass amps have, but make up for that with a very smooth midrange and high end and a somewhat deeper sound stage. I have somewhere around 100-150 hours on the WE tubes, an maybe 50-75 more on the amps. I think they are still improving.

The WE tubes were a very noticeable improvement over the Linlai tubes. Much more detail while still sounding very smooth.

For the size of my room (17'x29' with room treatments), I think these amps are just a bit under powered for the NX-Oticas, but certainly not by much for the SPLs I normally listen at. They will be more than enough for the Line Forces which I'm hoping to have completed this spring.

I am leaning strongly toward selling my Pass amps. Not that I don't like them, but they're not exactly easy to move around and I don't really have a good place to store them, so swapping them in and out would be challenging.

I'm going to give the 300Bs a few more weeks to fully break-in and then I'll make the call.

I'm now working on a new balanced tube preamp to go along with the tube monoblocks.  :D

tom739

« Reply #50 on: 11 Jan 2022, 09:22 pm »
Thanks for the update Jaytor. Much appreciated.
A balanced tube preamp, interesting....  Do you have a build thread somewhere?

Jaytor

« Reply #51 on: 11 Jan 2022, 09:45 pm »
Thanks for the update Jaytor. Much appreciated.
A balanced tube preamp, interesting....  Do you have a build thread somewhere?

I started a thread on the Steve Hoffman forums.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/diy-balanced-tube-preamp.1126031/

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #52 on: 12 Jan 2022, 12:44 am »
Jay,

Very nice…that thread has great eye candy. I would do pretty much the same if I were after a tube balanced preamp, although I would also consult with Kevin Carter of K&K Audio as well for ideas. That being said, it’s hard to wrong with the 6SN7!

Best,
Anand.

AKLegal

« Reply #53 on: 12 Jan 2022, 01:12 am »
I started a thread on the Steve Hoffman forums.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/diy-balanced-tube-preamp.1126031/

You are a beast man. I'll be following this build thread.