GR Desktop Mini

hawkeyejw

Re: GR Desktop Mini
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2021, 08:13 pm »
Thanks guys! Great advice. I found these on ebay. Tempted to try them.

Does it say what they’re constructed from?

cody69

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2021, 10:36 pm »
I think the Desktop Mini is a great offering... bringing DIY speaker construction to the masses. Well done Danny.
And I can't wait to see what else you have coming  :thumb:

I'm currently using a pair of LGKs for desktop speakers. Can you share your view on how the new Mini compares to the LGKs?

thanks!

Chewbacca

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:41 pm »
Thanks guys! Great advice. I found these on ebay. Tempted to try them.

I think I'm the most amused by the fact that there's 5 per... :scratch:

Maybe they assume one will break? :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2021, 01:56 am »
Any binding post that's decent quality is at least as expensive as the tube connectors, if not more.  So I'd just spend the $$ on the tube connectors.

Just because the speaker is low cost does not mean it's low quality.  IMO it deserves excellent connectors.

Skilly

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2021, 12:34 am »
I am curious about how this new speaker might compare to the LGK 2.0. Maybe this is the new LGK 2.0?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2021, 01:12 am »
I am curious about how this new speaker might compare to the LGK 2.0. Maybe this is the new LGK 2.0?

No, per Hobbs there’s a run of the new LGK drivers going into production soon. This speaker uses drivers Danny has had on hand for some time and hadn’t had a chance to design a speaker with previously.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2021, 02:16 am »
No, per Hobbs there’s a run of the new LGK drivers going into production soon. This speaker uses drivers Danny has had on hand for some time and hadn’t had a chance to design a speaker with previously.

Correct, partially.

The new LGK 2.0 drivers are very similar to the originals tho they looks like a mini NQ driver, now since it has a copper-plated phase plug, while the original had aluminum ones. Assuming things dont change between the last pair of prototypes that were sent out. (They did slightly with the NQ drivers, the proto NQ model had a rounded phase plug and polished back structure)
Hopefully, we'll be getting those in hand sometime in the next few months.

Danny only somewhat recently got the drivers for the new Minis.
They were originally designed for AV123 for the Onix Rocket series but were never put into use, so they got stuck with them.
They somewhat recently went up for sale at auction where Danny purchased them.

When I came to visit for a week, back in early May, Danny & Killian were tweaking the cabinet designs,deciding on shape/cost, etc.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jun 2021, 02:24 am »
Thanks for the clarification Hobbs. I must have made a leap in what I heard from Danny’s explanation without knowing it.

Those new LGKs are going to look slick with the copper colored phase plugs!
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2021, 03:24 pm by hawkeyejw »

pmwoodward

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2021, 03:13 pm »
The ad did not state the material. They were low cost from China. I guess that pretty much tells you the quality.

I ordered the kit this morning and just went with the standard binding posts. I did opt for the $8 bypass cap.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2021, 08:21 pm by pmwoodward »

hawkeyejw

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2021, 03:26 pm »
The ad did not state the material. They were lost cost from China. I guess that pretty much tells you the quality.

I ordered the kit this morning and just went with the standard binding posts. I did opt for the $8 bypass cap.

They will sound great either way. What speakers are you coming from?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2021, 04:19 pm »
The ad did not state the material. They were lost cost from China. I guess that pretty much tells you the quality.

I bet you are in for a surprise. Danny has very high standards for how a driver has to perform before he even considers using it. He knows full well his reputation is on the line with each model so he won’t put something out there if it doesn’t pass muster.

Unless I misunderstood and you were talking about the binding posts not the drivers or crossover. 

It wouldn’t be the first time I misunderstood something

hawkeyejw

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2021, 05:13 pm »
I bet you are in for a surprise. Danny has very high standards for how a driver has to perform before he even considers using it. He knows full well his reputation is on the line with each model so he won’t put something out there if it doesn’t pass muster.

Unless I misunderstood and you were talking about the binding posts not the drivers or crossover. 

It wouldn’t be the first time I misunderstood something

I think he was referring to the binding posts he found online, I asked him what they are made from.

pmwoodward

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jun 2021, 10:37 pm »
hawkeyejw, I currently have a pair of Swans D2.1se monitors. These were $600 about 10 years ago. I recently compared them to the KEF LS50 Meta and although the KEF's were a bit better, the difference was not nearly large enough for me to write the $1500 check.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jun 2021, 10:43 pm »
That will be a good comparison, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jun 2021, 06:34 pm »
Hobbsmeerkat,

Any idea as to when the stands will be available and if they will be available as a standalone item?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jun 2021, 08:14 pm »
I think that depends on if we can get ahead of the current volume of orders that need to go out.
The first test run will be made over the weekend,

And pending Danny's approval, they'll be up Monday, or the following week.

They will be a standalone option.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 5 Jul 2021, 02:25 am »
Danny just finished filming the build of his Desk Mini's today!

We hooked them up and let them play for a little bit and they kick butt! They image really well and offer great off-axis response, and offer plenty of detail and a balanced tone.

No complaints here! :thumb:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jul 2021, 03:07 am »
Hopefully never.. LMAO :lol:

Don't be shy now Hobbs.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jul 2021, 03:10 am »
Danny just finished filming the build of his Desk Mini's today!

We hooked them up and let them play for a little bit and they kick butt! They image really well and offer great off-axis response, and offer plenty of detail and a balanced tone.

No complaints here! :thumb:

Man they look cool in the blue Hobbs. Maybe offer the blue or red or white coloured option for the enclosure kit. I think we need the Millennials onboard with our hobby.  :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jul 2021, 01:38 pm »
Hey Killian/Danny/Hobbes

(or anyone with the info I don't have  :D )

I'm looking and the minis on the website. I see the flatpacks (unassembled) have the square edges.  The assembled versions have the round overs on the corners. Is not possible to offer the round overs in the un-assembled version too?

just curious... I suspect I could put a flatpack together... but that round over... well that's another story.